Lopez

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
A case a day, malt liquor. At least. That's hard-core I think. If I could get my name on a light beer can and get paid for it I would be the man.
Gerry Lopez gets a pass? Not for me to say, but I could thank him for his contribution.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof and teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
A case a day, malt liquor. At least. That's hard-core I think. If I could get my name on a light beer can and get paid for it I would be the man.
Gerry Lopez gets a pass? Not for me to say, but I could thank him for his contribution.
The heaviest meanest mokes in Hawaii give him a pass. They’ll moan about it after he goes in. Like I do. But that one day at Bowls I just really needed to go in and there was no way I was gonna just paddle in when there was no crowd and head high waves. I just needed one.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Being a goofy foot and growing up in the 70's....Gerry was like a God to us GF's. I had posters of him and went to every surf flick at the Bijou hoping to see him in person. I finally met him at a surf expo at Ventura Fairgrounds about 15 years ago. My wife has a picture of Gerry and our 6 year old son throwing shockas. This was the same event that we met Bassy and his wife, Bobby Martinez, Dane Reynolds, and a sh!t-ton of famous shapers. Anyway, just doing some name dropping.

1655137522341.jpeg

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My uncle grew up with Gerry and was friends with him. Everyone I talked to said he's a really nice guy but is a wave hog.

The soft top thing is a funny thing. They're cheap and have their place. A lot of my friends all have one to take to the beach with their family and/or surf it in crappy shorebreak when there's no surf anywhere else.

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
My uncle grew up with Gerry and was friends with him. Everyone I talked to said he's a really nice guy but is a wave hog.

The soft top thing is a funny thing. They're cheap and have their place. A lot of my friends all have one to take to the beach with their family and/or surf it in crappy shorebreak when there's no surf anywhere else.
We have one for the same reason. They're fun and challenging. Especially for a "surfer". We're used to controlling our boards but the Wavestorm just fights back. It forces you to just relax and go with the flow. You're not going to hit the lip or cut back on a dime. If you try, you fall. I rode our 15 y.o. Wavestorm on Saturday in heavy kelp and had a great time. Those soft floppy fins just cruise right through it. :applause2:

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
Stab article about Matt Biolos, Mason Ho, and Gerry Lopez.

Last edited:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Fairly sure that spot in Baja they feature is where we used to surf by ourselves, with only a few weather beaten fish shacks on the cliffside beach. There was one big hacienda up on the cliff down the beach, but that was it. Fun easy going spot, that had one whackable section, but that's about it. Not easily seen from the main road out there.

Good for Jerry, even if he does have a softie named after. Better surfers have done worse.

Reactions: PPK96754

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Fairly sure that spot in Baja they feature is where we used to surf by ourselves, with only a few weather beaten fish shacks on the cliffside beach. There was one big hacienda up on the cliff down the beach, but that was it. Fun easy going spot, that had one whackable section, but that's about it. Not easily seen from the main road out there.

Good for Jerry, even if he does have a softie named after. Better surfers have done worse.
yea I know the spots he was at. Ive spent lots of time camping in that zone. Sad its not such a mission to get out there anymore. I mean it wasn't super challenging but now it easy peasy.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I'm more bummed about him blowing up Bend tbh. That river wave is lame af no matter what the kooks that ride it think.
Bend was gonna blow up regardless just like almost any and every mountain resort town has out west over the last decade. He did not get a hall pass at the point.

Reactions: bruhdakine

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
yea I know the spots he was at. Ive spent lots of time camping in that zone. Sad its not such a mission to get out there anymore. I mean it wasn't super challenging but now it easy peasy.
no no no still heavy locals in that zone that will throw hot pozole in your face. I know the last time I went there, I died.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Being a goofy foot and growing up in the 70's....Gerry was like a God to us GF's. I had posters of him and went to every surf flick at the Bijou hoping to see him in person. I finally met him at a surf expo at Ventura Fairgrounds about 15 years ago. My wife has a picture of Gerry and our 6 year old son throwing shockas. This was the same event that we met Bassy and his wife, Bobby Martinez, Dane Reynolds, and a sh!t-ton of famous shapers. Anyway, just doing some name dropping.

View attachment 131477
Did you cross breed your chihuahua with one of those gold fishes??

• Haha