Pyzel Ghost?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I had a 6'3 and a 6'5" (I'm 6'3").

I preferred the shorter one. The longer one felt like it really needed a bigger wave to work whereas the shorter one was fun in head high surf as well as anything I could paddle into. The shorter one also felt just more natural, like my feet always found the sweet spot.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
How does the Ghost go if ordered a bit longer ? If I'm 5'10" should I be getting a 5'11" /6'0" only or can I stretch it out a bit?
Its all what you prefer and the wave your putting it in. A ghost has always worked great for me as a step up 6" over my height with smaller fins. Have a few friends that ride them the same way. This is what i used to ride often at obsf where there is usually a good amount of paddling/current/swell in the winter. Longer than that and I would be switching to something more like a Blackbird that scales longer without packing in so much width/thickness . If i was getting a ghost for more of rippable wave with less paddling/cleaner conditions on larger days than I could see riding one closer to my height to benefit my turns

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
and like what others are saying, they definitely feel like they ride a little longer than you think they would. Their hold on rail is great also. Great board

Reactions: ChaseTMP
Sep 3, 2021
Hey everyone, I'm planning on adding a Ghost to the quiver and can't decide on size. I'm 6'1 175lbs and surfing everyday in NorCal. I'm back and forth between 6'1 and 6'2 stock boards. Currently on a 5'10 (29.7L) small wave board and looking for something for when waves are good OH+. I'm thinking i might get more use out of the 6'1 but 6'2 seems better for the bigger days. What do you all think?

May 10, 2018
Don't go too long. The Ghost doesn't need to be ridden long. I'd go 1 inch (max 2) above your height. I'm 5'11, almost 80kg and ride the stock 6'0. It's plenty of board. Got some good ones on it out front of my place recently

210827_south narra 532_narra.JPG

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It’s been so long I’ve forgot what the Duffy scale actually means. LOL
So, this would be like waist-stomach high on a 6’ human man?
That’s pretty good on the low end size!
Duffy scale is when you measure the height of a wave that is how high the wave is.

If a wave is 3 feet high from the bottom of the wave to the top of the wave it is determined to be “3 feet”.

The wave face is where this measurement is taken because that is the part you surf on.

If you are 6 feet tall and you stand straight up while at the bottom and the wave is determined to be head high then it is a 6 foot wave.

I know this is complicated and, for some, counterintuitive to use an objective measurement system to determine wave height. I understand that it’s more core to take the actual wave height and call it half as high as it actually is.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Duffy scale is when you measure the height of a wave that is how high the wave is.

If a wave is 3 feet high from the bottom of the wave to the top of the wave it is determined to be “3 feet”.

The wave face is where this measurement is taken because that is the part you surf on.

If you are 6 feet tall and you stand straight up while at the bottom and the wave is determined to be head high then it is a 6 foot wave.

I know this is complicated and, for some, counterintuitive to use an objective measurement system to determine wave height. I understand that it’s more core to take the actual wave height and call it half as high as it actually is.
This type of measuring is also how we end up with "100" foot waves at that mushburger show off picture spot in Portugal. Where a "100" foot wave realistically has 150 feet of face, because the wave is slanted and you're taking measurements from the front as if it were one dimensional, but only has 20 feet of rideable wave, because the rest is nearly flat water.
I think of this because of one day when a person i was talking to claimed that the waves were over ten feet, and they had proof, because they had a ten foot canoe and paddling over a wave the face of the wave was longer than their entire canoe. I remember thinking "yeah, but the wave is not standing straight up at 90 degrees from the bottom when your canoe was going over it. So what are we measuring?

Oh no, we've all done this one to death...

"Increments of fear" works better for me. Then I know "two feet" means small, "six feet" means solid, and "seven to nine feet" means get off surfline kook.

Last edited: