Hawaii- Done

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Every link you shared you rep Hawai‘i haaaard tho haha
Not really - what I write and what publishers choose to publish are two different things.

I don't claim Hawaii, but my background of being from Hawaii is a fact and it does have gravitas in a surfing context. Outside of Hawaii or a surfing context, it's a detriment.

I recall a conversation I had at a gathering in Hong Kong with a group of people. A Chinese gal with a posh junior Brit accent said "I met a guy from Hawaii once - he had a funny accent, I couldn't understand anything he said. I thought he was mentally retarded"

I said "No, he's probably not retarded, just speaking vernacular Hawaiian pidgin english, which sounds odd to people who are not familiar with it". She looked disinterested and left to get another drink.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
you really don't know, do you?
You condescendingly shared those specific links, I didn’t say you wrote them.

Another guy who loves to claim Hawai‘i when it’s advantageous (even on your LinkedIn), but bash the place and the people when they move away. So common and boring.

You should be rad. You were born and raised in Hawaii and you’ve traveled all over the World and shot some amazing locales, pioneered surf travel… experiences that should have humbled you but nah you‘re just dismissive and patronizing. Were you pre law at UCLA by chance?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
@bluemarlin04 - Not sure why you keep referring to me as a "transplant" - as I am anything but.
If I had to guess then I'd guess you're the child of wealthy transplants who have little to no ties to the island. You come off as very condescending as if the rest of us aren't smart enough to see right through you're little schtick.

All these responses started because you had to come in and spout off how Waikiki sucks and it is because we aren't well traveled or as cool as you. Lame.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
You condescendingly shared those specific links, I didn’t say you wrote them.

Another guy who loves to claim Hawai‘i when it’s advantageous (even on your LinkedIn), but bash the place and the people when they move away. So common and boring.

You should be rad. You were born and raised in Hawaii and you’ve traveled all over the World and shot some amazing locales, pioneered surf travel… experiences that should have humbled you but nah you‘re just dismissive and patronizing. Were you pre law at UCLA by chance?
I shared the links as someone said I was just a Hawaii visitor and a WSL person, which I am not - I provided proof.

If you consider these links condescending, well - that's more about you than me.

Like I said, I don't claim Hawaii - my Hawaii background is a fact.

Hawaii people ARE insular and close-minded.

They take a great deal of pride in their local culture which; outside of a Hawaii context, doesn't mean anything to anyone.

And wow, do they ever get super-offended when someone tells them the truth, ha ha-

I wasn't born in Hawaii, but my mother did live in Hawaii for more than decade before I was born.

Nope - I was a Design major in the College of Fine Arts. Nothing to do with law - or mathematics.

I give thoughtful, educated and articulate opinions about Hawaii and other subjects, and I don't sling insults, threaten violence, tell anyone to leave or call anyone a "kook" - I have transcended my Hawaii background!

Here's another one:

Waikiki from Diamond Head to Ala Moana isn't beautiful.

It is travesty of uncoordinated commercially-oriented development that has scarred the once magnificent coastline of the south shore of O'ahu with massive holes in the fringing reef, ugly and destructive shoreline jetties and concrete barriers constructed randomly to conserve sand but doing the exact opposite, placed giant concrete shopping centres and parking lots for thousands of cars, inflicted massive tourist hotel complexes with thousands of rooms on the land that was once a duck hunting swamp for Hawaiian royalty, built by megalomaniacs like Henry Kaiser and Chris Hemmeter for the kind of industrial tourism Hawaii says it doesn't want and doesn't need.

Many of the Hawaii people who frequent this message board (like yourself) profess to object to almost any development in Hawaii, yet somehow have convinced themselves that this stretch of brutalised coastline is "beautiful"? It isn't.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I give thoughtful, educated and articulate opinions about Hawaii and other subjects, and I don't sling insults, threaten violence, tell anyone to leave or call anyone a "kook" - I have transcended my Hawaii background!
If you don't like something then why not just keep scrolling? People can have an opinion.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
One of my favorite things to do during a South Swell is have my wife drop me off at either Kewalos or Bowls and then I surf my way down to Queens in Waikiki. She'll go to brunch at the Moana or shopping, then meet me at Duke's for a drink. It's fun to surf all the different spots and I'll burn guys if I plan on going to the next spot after that. Takes about 2-3 hours, depending on how long you spend at each spot.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I shared the links as someone said I was just a Hawaii visitor and a WSL person, which I am not - I provided proof.

If you consider these links condescending, well - that's more about you than me.

Like I said, I don't claim Hawaii - my Hawaii background is a fact.

Hawaii people ARE insular and close-minded.

They take a great deal of pride in their local culture which; outside of a Hawaii context, doesn't mean anything to anyone.

And wow, do they ever get super-offended when someone tells them the truth, ha ha-

I wasn't born in Hawaii, but my mother did live in Hawaii for more than decade before I was born.

Nope - I was a Design major in the College of Fine Arts. Nothing to do with law - or mathematics.

Here's another one:

Waikiki from Diamond Head to Ala Moana isn't beautiful.

It is travesty of uncoordinated commercially-oriented development that has scarred the once magnificent coastline of the south shore of O'ahu with massive holes in the fringing reef, ugly and destructive shoreline jetties and concrete barriers constructed randomly to conserve sand but doing the exact opposite, placed giant concrete shopping centres and parking lots for thousands of cars, inflicted massive tourist hotel complexes with thousands of rooms on the land that was once a duck hunting swamp for Hawaiian royalty, built by megalomaniacs like Henry Kaiser and Chris Hemmeter for the kind of industrial tourism Hawaii says it doesn't want and doesn't need.

Many of the Hawaii people who frequent this message board (like yourself) profess to object to almost any development in Hawaii, yet somehow have convinced themselves that this stretch of brutalised coastline is "beautiful"? It isn't.
So put you down for Hawaii IS done. Got it. Don't need to write so much next time.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
A monk seal swam through the lineup when I was surfing out in front of the zoo earlier this month.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
That's the most hilariously bad fiction I've read in a long time.
I agree, it sounds over the top, but that is how many Filipinos speak English, with what other English speakers would consider excessive hyperbole and exaggeration. It's just their style.

If you have experience dealing with Pinoys or Pinays from The Philippines, you would know that -

See comment received today on Instagram - same style. A little over the top, but charmingly sincere : )

Comment 1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Anyways, it looks like the real estate market is coming back to earth. Hopefully locals stop getting priced out.

There's been some fun east side swells. Windy and blown out but head high and running. Paddle out and usually only 2-3 people. 2 of which can't surf and are beginners. So Hawaii is not done yet.

The Daniel Jones twin I bought last month rides so good. Just sold a few other boards and want to order another twin. Anyone here try the Pang Saint or Sinr from T&C?

Reactions: teeroi

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
This dude wasn’t even born here. And left after high school and like come to our thread and tell everyone how Hawaii is and how well traveled he is.

Reactions: teeroi