My pop up has gone to sh!t!!!!

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
This is a sore topic as I'm going through the same thing! I recently have had the front foot dragging problem, especially with booties.

At first I thought it was getting old, strength, or flexibility related, but after seeing video of myself for the first time it's bad technique. I put all my weight on my front foot, bend my back knee almost to the deck without bearing any weight, and end up in a squat position. Had no idea I was doing this until the video. I surf with my dominant foot forward so this is likely the culprit.

Been trying to fix it now and get my back foot planted. Got a soft top, practice popup on old surfboard on dry land, etc. Even tried switch stance as popping up with my dominant foot back immediately fixed the problem. I can't surf like that, but I'm trying to apply that to fix my regular stance.

My dry land popup feels much better, but in the water I go back to my old habit or blow it a lot. Basically everything unraveled for me, but I can't just go back to my old habit as I hit a performance plateau and can't accept that. Super frustrating!!

Was thinking about joining Wave Ki, and think I will now seeing the good reviews on here.

Word of advice for the younger souls out there, do the hard work to develop a good technical foundation early to avoid hitting a performance ceiling later. No amount of time in the water will fix bad technique and only ingrains bad habits.