My pop up has gone to sh!t!!!!

groggylbc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 15, 2006
after 30 years of surfing, i feel like a beginner again. My front foot drags on the deck and toes sometimes roll over. front foot ends up in the wrong place...i have to re-adjust the footing . After all that stumbling around.,,, ive blown the wave a lot of the time...

ANY SUGGESTIONS? 54yrs old 195 lbs in good shape.... xoxoxoxoxox

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
back to the basics for 3 sessions
go surf crap waves alone on a bigger board
catch minimum 20 waves each surf

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
after 30 years of surfing, i feel like a beginner again. My front foot drags on the deck and toes sometimes roll over. front foot ends up in the wrong place...i have to re-adjust the footing . After all that stumbling around.,,, ive blown the wave a lot of the time...

pop-up is the first thing to go....and if you don't get that right, the rest of the wave is not gonna work out for you.

i don't get out too much in the dead of winter here on the SE US coast, so i make it a point to do a set of 10 pop-ups on a yoga mat, every day or two, to try to keep my pop-up in shape. (i even drew the outline of my board on the mat with a Sharpie, to make sure i'm landing right). when my pop-up is working, it's like releasing a stretched spring in my core that snaps everything together as I get up. just my 61 y/o two cents - ymmv :waving:

Reactions: Boneroni and Aruka

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Deadlift. And Squat. Ask Von Meister how.

Last edited:

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Swallow tail is on the right track
Strengthen core and hips ,secondary shoulder,arms

There is a yoga move going from down dog , bringing your foot up between hands that has a lot of carryover to popping up
I’ve found as the core gets weaker popping up gets slower
I’m 62

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
what people recommend already, pushing the board down/ vs pushing up is sound advice you wont often think about. I feel like burpees would be a great exercise to make a habit out of and get you in the right motions.
Why do burpees? Just do pop ups. And presses.

groggylbc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 15, 2006
Paddle hard. Don't push up, push your board down. Focus on an arched or at least flat back, butt above your shoulders, until your feet find the deck. Look down the line.
all great advise.....having a hard time picturing what "butt above my shoulders" is..
i really am gonna try pushing down on the board. thank you

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
been doing wave ki (Brad Gerlach's website), he mentions the "push board down" and "ass above your shoulders" that others have here. Has really helped my pop up over the past 3 weeks!

Reactions: Lohena

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Same here. 51. Only a problem with boots. These ruined sessions are the most humiliating I have had to suffer in a long time.
I could have posted the same thing, I even meant to.
Thanks.

Reactions: Boneroni

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
One of these, too - get great core workouts. In my house, we call it the rolley thing. (y)

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Surf hollow waves where the board drops as you pop. Way easier than bumpy weak crap waves where you are jumping up, easier to push down and fall onto your board then it is to jump up. And deadlifts. Sadly at our age you find a lot more wax in your toenails.