This newer style leash design is failing compared to the old style.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
My older leashes with the fabric or solid molded ankle extrusion from 15 plus years ago are still going strong.

My newer leashes, like the one on top of the photo, are starting to pop left and right. They are all popping out where the leash attaches to the cuff, and this is in mellow stuff. These definitely aren’t made to last more than a few years. Happened to three different brands over the past two years or so.

Sucks, more waste.

BA048217-6782-4B0F-886D-E918090E8756.jpeg

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Two of my newer style leashes snapped at the swivel point. Both were less than two years old. One was when I was surfing my brand new CI Fever and I had to watch it get slammed into rocks. Thankfully there was minimal damage and only some scratches.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My older leashes with the fabric or solid molded ankle extrusion from 15 plus years ago are still going strong.

My newer leashes, like the one on top of the photo, are starting to pop left and right. They are all popping out where the leash attaches to the cuff, and this is in mellow stuff. These definitely aren’t made to last more than a few years. Happened to three different brands over the past two years or so.

Sucks, more waste.

View attachment 101034
I've found that with some leashes that little allen key bolt at the swivel manages to work it's way out.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Sucks, more waste.

View attachment 101034
put a drop of crazy glue on both sides of the grub screws every now and then.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

Sucks, more waste.

View attachment 101034
When they fail they practically fall off.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
COMP_CYBK_2_540x.jpg
Potentially the worst design. That loop or whatever it is on the ankle cuff catches water and makes the cuff unvelcro. Retarded.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
I keep my broken leashes (mostly from fatigue at the ankle strap as described by the OP) and sometimes am able to cobble together a whole from the parts. I've also asked around and been given a required part to make a full leash.

The obvious solution is to be able to buy the parts separately AND set up a local swap-shop.

I found a company in OZ (I'm UK) which does this but too expensive for delivery here. I think its possible to order parts from China (where most are made I think) but also too costly compared to a whole leash price.

Its annoying that the cost is almost the same for a full leash as each section. I'd think a company like Patagonia would have this nailed?

My record is 8 years from an old style leash.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Not a materials expert by any means but I would think these plastics and hardware probably just aren't made to last that long. Being submerged in salt water isn't exactly a friendly environment for most things and I would think something like a leash which is subject to stretch and wide temperature variations in addition, simply isn't going to last more than a few years.

I get the environmental impact but compared to something like surfboards, which by all indications people on this board buy a shi*tload of, leashes are a drop in bucket and replacing your leash every year or two seems prudent.

Personally I use comp leashes mostly and they break every so often so I add another to the rotation every year or so.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Lucky my dakine leashes still going strong for now but I saw these below might not be bad idea if not to expensive.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
same here. by far the best leash I've ever owned
I was in Nica with a bunch of stay covered leashes and they kept popping on duck dives from the white water going over my leg - so obviously that was a problem. One guy at the camp I was at offered to let me use his COL COMP leash and I figured it would snap right away - lasted me the rest of the trip even after 8' days with some botched waves. I immediately replaced all my leashes with COL when I got home.

Reactions: jkb

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I’m a bit of a hoarder when it comes to material. Still havent found a use for all of these.

Geeze, I guess I have broken some leashes in my past.

Yesterdays was a Destination Surf that popped right at the ankle connection. Pin was still in the leash part. I left that one on the cliff/rocks after I had to swim in for my board and was pinned against the cliff. Still wanted to surf and no big whoop on the dings, beater longboard.

Ordering up some Hotlines for Christmas. Thanks.
11A6D23A-7A23-4235-918D-391285BBE4A7.jpeg

Reactions: MathDebater