This newer style leash design is failing compared to the old style.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
the velcro on Sympl leashes is weak, and wears out much sooner than the ultra-sticky velcro of most brands these days. That is all.

tom@daumtooling

Michael Peterson status
Jan 10, 2002
San Clemente
Visit site
Hi Tom. I had always kept an extra leash in my car. I had an O&E leash rarely used though purchase a few years ago. I finally needed it this weekend and it broke right at the base where the plastic meets the cuff on two feet of whitewater. The stitching did not fail but the plastic did. The wave had barely any push which leads me to believe the plastic had broken down and was brittle. Just wondering, what is the life of the plastic components? Do you recommend replacing leashes after a few years regardless of the shape they are in to avoid this issue? Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.
MACSAN,
It depends upon the plastic the leash is made from. As I said above there are three types of urethane Polyether and Polycaprolactone are hydrophobic and Polyester is hydroscopic. If you are keeping the spare leash in your car it's going through heat cycles everyday. A polyester leash will absorb water and breakdown over time. I can't tell you exactly how long. But, it's a good idea to keep them in a backpack that you don't store in your car. I don't make O&E leash parts and I haven't analyzed their plastic. But, I'd imagine that is what occurred to yours.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I had OAM leashes in early 2000s.

One day I was surfing the base with CASURFER and my leash broke. My board was headed right into the rocks. Jeff took off on an overhead left, got barreled and spit out, did a big snap and plucked my board out of the water 5 yards from the rocks. It was fucking awesome. He gave me a hard time for having a shitty leash. Ive been using Da Kine since then. They last me 3 years on average.

Reactions: cmogenic

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
My best leash was OAM. When it snapped I just heated each end and squished them together and it held up great.