Modern-ish twin?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
As far as fish go I've had quad, twinsers and twin plus trailer go good for me but am yet to find a twin that goes "good" backside. Not that I've had many. MR twin, lost RNF (as twin, no trailer), Album Townsend asym Twin. I, along with other commenters I've seen here have had It will go backside. Which twins actually goes good backhand? BTW, not down on twins AT ALL, just keen to hook up with one that excels both ways (slight pun intended)?
beating a dead horse, but Rusty Twin fin goes good backside.

So the Townsend asym twin doesn't work well backside? asking for a friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: chilly1

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
No bullchit. The El Tomo is goes good backside. I think Noel is going to review this board soon. We shall see the Salsa on this soon...

Reactions: chilly1

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
Think I need to get on this hipster twin chit. Anyone ride one of those MOTE channel bottom twins in bigger sizes like 6’10? Do they go backside? Any of u convicts chime in?

seppo out!
I'm down with this....

Retodd keep your hands off....

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Sorry but I still do not get how any board the arrow that is not asymmetrical can go better frontside/backside with out input of archer?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Learn something new every day:foreheadslap:
Just like a fish, square and squash tail, tomo, sup I would most likely never order one.
I probably won’t either.

I have an asym snowboard and after one run I came to the conclusion that all snowboards should be asymmetrical and if you aren’t riding one you are missing out.

But snowboards aren’t surfboarDs.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I probably won’t either.

I have an asym snowboard and after one run I came to the conclusion that all snowboards should be asymmetrical and if you aren’t riding one you are missing out.

But snowboards aren’t surfboarDs.
I have never snowboarded but skied in my youth and curious why?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I have never snowboarded but skied in my youth and curious why?
The real question should be why are snowboards symmetrical.

Heel turns and toe turns are done with different body mechanics and a well made asym snowboard compensates for these differences.

The board I have is unidirectional and made only for regular foots but there are double enders that you just mount you bindings for you foot orientation.

Btw, my snowboard in powder is something to behold. I sleep well at night that I could quit surfing and move to the mountains and snowboard every power day and not miss surfing one bit.

This is what I have...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The real question should be why are snowboards symmetrical.

Heel turns and toe turns are done with different body mechanics and a well made asym snowboard compensates for these differences.

The board I have is unidirectional and made only for regular foots but there are double enders that you just mount you bindings for you foot orientation.

Btw, my snowboard in powder is something to behold. I sleep well at night that I could quit surfing and move to the mountains and snowboard every power day and not miss surfing one bit.

This is what I have...

Thanks so do you skate as well and would you say snowboarding and turning/carving is more like skating then surfing?

Reactions: ANIMA

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Quite a few. What specifically is your reasoning for saying they are “stupid”?
It's a solution in search of a problem.

The tail of a surfboard is where all your surfing occurs. When a shaper to comes to the conclusion that the rail shape and length needs to be different to get there board working correctly, they've come to the wrong conclusion. The real truth is they need to give up shaping and start doing something else, preferably without hand tools or thinks there the structure matters.

I get it though. Less than 10% of surfers can do a proper turn frontside so backside is impossible for them. Why not go after that large segment of surfers by telling them it's not you, it's the board. It's worked remarkably well for golf equipment manufacturers.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It's a solution in search of a problem.

The tail of a surfboard is where all your surfing occurs. When a shaper to comes to the conclusion that the rail shape and length needs to be different to get there board working correctly, they've come to the wrong conclusion. The real truth is they need to give up shaping and start doing something else, preferably without hand tools or thinks there the structure matters.

I get it though. Less than 10% of surfers can do a proper turn frontside so backside is impossible for them. Why not go after that large segment of surfers by telling them it's not you, it's the board. It's worked remarkably well for golf equipment manufacturers.
Most people can’t ride HPSBs well. Are squash tail thrusters also stupid?

And what if some shaper makes shitty ’normal’ boards but makes asyms that rip?

That doesn’t mean asyms or the shaper suck.

Lovelace doesn’t make HBSBs very well, if at all, but he isn’t a bad shaper.

Last edited: