*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
During the Spanish Flu there was a large Liberty Bond parade scheduled in Philadelphia. Liberty Bonds were treasuries sold to raise money for WWI. All the medical experts said "do not" hold this parade. Politicians blew off the experts and held the parade and 1000s were infected.

Same deal as Trump's convention/rally IMO.

add on - the flip/flop from medical experts re: crowds and protesting is ridiculous. protest if you want but accept the fact that gathering in large crowds during a pandemic is not safe for you or others.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
During the Spanish Flu there was a large Liberty Bond parade scheduled in Philadelphia. Liberty Bonds were treasuries sold to raise money for WWI. All the medical experts said "do not" hold this parade. Politicians blew off the experts and held the parade and 1000s were infected.

add on - the flip/flop from medical experts re: crowds and protesting is ridiculous. protest if you want but accept the fact that gathering in large crowds during a pandemic is not safe for you or others.
:cursing:
Stop comparing this to the flu!

:ROFLMAO: ...mask wearing morons

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
But 1000's cramped on streets shouting/spitting slogans and chants is different and "safer"?

What makes this any different than a parade or rally?

Its not safer - dont think anyone is making that comparison but you.

the difference though is that people are risking their health & protesting for basic human decency vs. people risking thier health, going to see Trump spout out lies for no other purpose but to feed his own ego.

Reactions: Norm'

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Its not safer - dont think anyone is making that comparison but you.

the difference though is that people are risking their health & protesting for basic human decency vs. people risking thier health, going to see Trump spout out lies for no other purpose but to feed his own ego.
So those freedoms/rights are not equal?

Some virtue signaling is more valid than others?

Rights and health risk are only cool for those judged "worthy".

Good to see the virtue Nazis on duty.

Got it.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
But 1000's cramped on streets shouting/spitting slogans and chants is different and "safer"?

What makes this any different than a parade or rally?

Masks and open air. I went out and marched. Literally everyone around me was wearing masks. And people were mostly good about keeping distance from each other. There were a few bottlenecks in the route where the crowd got condensed a little more than I'd like but it was momentary. I felt more exposed drinking beers in the parking lot of a recently opened bar where everyone dropped their masks.

I would not want to be around a crowd like this indoors at an arena or a convention center. That'd be bad news.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Masks at this stage are mostly security blankets for those on either side of it.

The mask is good for me because it reminds me to stay away from people.

When I put it on, I move fast to do what has to be done so I can take it off. If I wear for more than 5 minutes, I start getting super irritated.

I've been an amazing social distancer.

I really have.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Our masseuse just came over to work on me and the missus. Creeping back to normal. I don’t mind wearing a mask around people and at stores. But eventually, for a lot of settings, we’re going to have to accept the very small chance that somebody is an asymptomatic carrier. I don’t know what to think about crowded sports and concerts for like, a year? we will be heading back to mid town office at least part time and voluntary, I’ll take trains a few days a week with a mask and lots of sanitizer. Btw that’s the last we’ll be splurging on massages for a while. Pray for us

Reactions: CutnSnip

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I wear mine only to please the businesses, if they require it.

Other people out in general public? Not so much. So funny to see some totally go mask free on walks in neighborhood, and then some whole families all wearing masks just walking their dog or at a wide open soccer field park, with very few around.

I'm more likely get bit by a shark in O'side, standing on the beach, than catching CV-19 from the 20 to 30 possibly active positive cases out of the 180,000 people in ALL of Oceanside at this very moment.

Problem is, if you're really anal about possibly catching CV-19 out in public, you should never touch a single thing bare handed going to the grocery store, Home Depot or any store for that matter. Getting you mail, picking up delivered items off your porch, etc; without gloves and disposing of said gloves every time before you enter your home or car, chances are there. Then use hand sanitizer or wipes constantly each time leaving/coming back.

I do none of these hypochondriac/germaphobe rituals. Am I living life dangerously? Surfing is more dangerous.

Life is full of risks. Dealing with this is just another one. Live in fear, or deal with it and move on.

Last edited:

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Well, that was weird. Went to first jiu jits class since this thing started today. To go from social distance/don't come near me to someone dripping sweat on my face and hugging the crap out of me felt odd yet so good. No masks were used in this mauling.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Social seperation fatigue set in and the virus won.

It waited us out.

Like Tom said, The waiting is the hardest part.