Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
a stock would have been
6'1"19.65"2.69"34L

I was looking at gettign a 5'6" at 18.65 x 2.25 SD, might even go 5'7"

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
pictures maybe? This sounds weird, I wonder if they accidentally used stock dims for you.
Have you measure it?

Reactions: NoOne

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
You rode it already. If they fuck a board up you don't ride it and whine later, quit yer bitchin. Even the techiest of weenies aren't going to be able to decipher a set of numbers on a board they know nothing about.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Now your stuck with it try and embrace it, You might be happily surprised to find out that foam can be your friend.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
I know a lot of us talk sh!t on volume, but that's why I usually give a target volume range to the shaper if the board isn't anything too weird and I don't think it will mess with the original intention of the design... that or just talk to your shaper. Force the issue if you have to.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
with the way that middle looks, I may stick w a 5'6" or even 5'5" instead of going up.
HPSB is 5'8 or 5'9" usually

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
That looks about right, but I’ve only seen one of those in person. Supposed to order it 2-4 inches shorter than your regular shortboard right?

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
"Ride the SD 2"-4" shorter than your traditional shortboard due to the additional volume, and enjoy the results of this looser, faster precision shortboard! "

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks for the chance to vent guys. New boards are rarely in my budget so I was really excited about this, only to be let down big time. I feel like an idiot for wasting so much money and honestly want to run the thing over with my car.

Maybe my sharing will be a cautionary tale to others.
Or you and others could learn to make sure to talk to shaper: (honest) ability, age, what kind of waves, what you like/dislike other boards, other board(s) dims, etc

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Whatever the expectation was, or the numbers you posted I can't comment on.... but the outlines pics sure look like a nice board. How does it surf?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Hmmm, the board just looks different in the nose and the hips? What about the rails?

Stretching a board out is a misnomer or so I've been told by shapers. You're not adding length at the ends. You're adding length in the middle. It's possible just an inch of additional length can remove the hips and make the nose look different.

Looking at the board online, I do agree that the nose looks a bit wider but the tail looks about the same. It's possible they've adjusted the width on the nose in recent months to account for a general trend of widening noses.

Unfortunately, It's not uncommon to have customs backfire in a very real way. I had a whole quiver of guns end up being a failure because the shaper changed the foil from the first time I ordered the boards to the second round... sucks. But is also kind of part of the game.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Looking at the board online, I do agree that the nose looks a bit wider but the tail looks about the same. It's possible they've adjusted the width on the nose in recent months to account for a general trend of widening noses.

1/8" wider on each side and slightly thinner at that 1' mark

thats a game changing 1/4" folks

Impeach Rusty Now !!!!

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
I actually think this is an opportunity in disguise. You said your budget limits you on new boards, so I'd keep this one in the quiver, ride in between another you have that you know works for you. Get a good feel for this new board, and then when budget allows, take a shaping class. The instructor should be able to have a conversation with you about what you liked and didn't like about this shape and help you refine it.

I had a similar experience as you, but with an off the rack board. I used it for about 8 months and went to Sunset Shapers here in SF and they educated me on how the nuances of board features should feel in the water. I'm still super inexperienced with all things related to shaping, but it helped be understand some of the various design approaches out there.

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Sorry just have outline pics right now.

I dont have a picture of the stock to compare it to, but the stock board has a really pronounced hip, and narrower high performance nose. Kind of like a sleeker, more high performance Sampler.

There aren't any good pictures of the stock online.

They said they lowered the nose rocker, because I checked the "knee to shoulder high" waves box in the tool. But I thought thats what the board was meant for anyway. But regardless it looks and feels way different than the stock borts. My intention was just to get one of the stock boards stretched out an inch and slightly less volume.

I used to have a custom Rusty SD, got it slightly wider and thicker than the stock 5'9. I'd say the tail block of the SD is definitely wider than that of a Sampler at the same length... can't comment on the nose.

May 7, 2016
he outline of the two boards is a bit different from the photos you have shown us.

For example:

Eric wide point: is at 35 5/8" from the tail,

stock wide point is at 34 7/8" from the tail (3/4 of a difference)

this will have the same effect on the thickness and volume of the board, more volume will be shifted up in the chest area on the custom.

Also

Eric custom has 5/16" less 'overall' rocker.

with the way most shapers are creating a new model from the smallest of change in board design, I'd say its a different board.

Reactions: tedshred5 and Aruka

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
it's 19.5" wide not 18.65"
Yea, but even if it's wider overall it looks like the width extends into the nose more if that makes sense although someone else seems to have caught that detail in the dim chart.

You think I should go back to 18.75? I think stock is 18.88 or something