Tomo Quad Fins

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
reTodd- Completely agree. that's the frustrating part: the trial & error to figure out what works for you, the way you surf, the waves you surf, and the boards you use. :cursing:
Then again, it does give you another thing to blame besides your own crappy surfing!

• Haha
Reactions: Bman76 and retodd

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You know what trips me out man ? How subjective fin feel can be from one guy to the next.

I dunno, kinda makes sense to me... different boards, different rockers, different amounts of rocker, foot placement, etc.

I've had AMs feel incredibly drivey in some HPSBs and completely dead in others.

I think if you gave a group of people with the same dims the same board and fins you will get similar impressions on how a fin feels. Would be a cool experiment.

Reactions: oeste858

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
So what happens when the layer the fins are situated in is turbulent? Do these only work when it’s clean face? What about 3rd wave of a set, for example.

I’m making fun of your understanding of fluid mechanics, btw. Just want to make that clear.
I didnt want my lack of response to your previous comment to be misconstrued, so i responded with a legitimate answer. Im honest and providing you with my understanding of how the fins work. Correct me if i'm wrong?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Different concept. The blade isn't big enough in those fins to get the full benefit of that design.

The blade on the powerdrive fins is supposed to flex when you lean into a turn. Its called "laminar flow". The fin flexing maintains the laminar flow and then release through the turn... maintaining the flow again. Once you get the fins dialed in they feel incredible in any board and hold a turn extremely well.

The blade on the Tomo Quad isnt a full blade so im really curious to see how they feel... especially with the concave on them.
Flexible fins are as good for a surfboard as a flexible penis is for womans orgasm.

Feb 22, 2019
SB
After watching this dude surf on IG I don’t think I’d ever trust his report on how well a fin works or board turns.

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I swear some shaper just posted something on IG about some blue FCS C-drive fins the other day, and I remember being intrigued but now I can't remember who or find the post. Maybe Pyzel? Trying to look for it, I found a rando clip of MC talking about these on tow board...

Reactions: trent17

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Man you guys are harsh on deforest. You guys probably were the kids that told the other kids Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy aren’t real. Haha. I love it.

I pretty much been riding boards by Wade or Kerry Tokoro only. Big fan of their designs plus life long friends. Thanks for not giving me this much grief about them.

Last edited: