Tomo Quad Fins

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
My friends would roast the fook outta me if I had those fins

please don’t look at videos of me surfing lol
Fortunately there’s only one clip in existence of me surfing and I did pretty ok in it.

It was small, perfect Rincon so there’s that.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Hey his turns are getting better!. As much as I joke about the solocam being cheesy it's the best way to improve your surfing. Deforest as much as you don't wanna hear this I think you would benefit from more rail line and or a thruster. Then go back to the stubby board and whip it around with more control. It will make your turns more vertical than horizontal. Your snaps are looking much bettah recently though, what fins are you running most of the time ?

When I was surfing this little fish I had, my turns were very skateboard powerslide like, which is good but now that I'm back on a lost driver my snaps are much better. Need to find a good in between setup ?

Thanks for listening to my Ted talk

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Sh*t I’ve got tons of pics and video of me surfing. Mainly because of where I surf and there’s a 24/7 Surfline cam focused on it. I’m just like most surfers, total narcissist. I’ll download it, screenshot it off the photogs IG or pay for them. My friends will tell me that’s a good shot you should make a print. I always tell them yeah for the mural for my funeral service.

There’s this older than me guy that surf RPS. One day I was in the parking lot and he made a comment about my fins. I think they were the Mayhem thruster set. He told me he had that set but it sucked. I told him that’s ok cause I don’t want to surf like you. After that I would roast him every time I saw him. He cried to my sister and she ordered me to leave him alone. Deforest surfs way better than that guy. Haha.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I recently got a couple of drone clips. I didn’t like the way my pumps between turns looked and my front arm came across my body on the reentries. My brother in law said it’s just cause it’s a different angle.

The worst is when I think I’m totally shacked, brag to the crew then I find the ride on the rewind cam and I can see the nose of my board the whole tube.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Hey much his much turns much are much getting much better!. As much as much I much joke much about much the much solocam much being much cheesy much it's much the much best much way much to much improve much your much surfing. Deforest much as much as you much don't much wanna much hear much this much I much think much you much would much benefit much from much more much rail much line much and much or much a much thruster. Then much go much back much to much the much stubby much board much and much whip much it much around much with much more much control. It much will much make much your much turns much more much vertical than much horizontal. Your much snaps much are much looking much bettah much recently much though, much what much fins much are much you much running much of much the much time ?
I use the word "much " far too much
I don't see the problem.

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
This thread is funny. I am running power drive fins all da time! My turns are horizontal (I’m a skater) so I need to try and fix that. Backside tail slides have ruined me! I welcome all criticism (it helps all of us). We are all narcissists. Surfing is a passion we all share. Maybe I use too many exclamation points and maybe I say things I shouldn’t. But we only get one life (no do overs).

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I recently got a couple of drone clips. I didn’t like the way my pumps between turns looked and my back arm came across my body on the reentries. My brother in law said it’s just cause it’s a different angle.

The worst is when I think I’m totally shacked, brag to the crew then I find the ride on the rewind cam and I can see the nose of my board the whole tube.
Just ride a shorter board.

Reactions: teeroi

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
no reincarnation?
This ‘life’ we live in now is the time constrained/sentient portion of our existence. Once we leave this meat ghost we borrow it will be on to the next phase. Maybe another meat ghost or maybe something else altogether.

Something not bound by time, motion...weight.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
This thread is funny. I am running power drive fins all da time! My turns are horizontal (I’m a skater) so I need to try and fix that. Backside tail slides have ruined me! I welcome all criticism (it helps all of us). We are all narcissists. Surfing is a passion we all share. Maybe I use too many exclamation points and maybe I say things I shouldn’t. But we only get one life (no do overs).
I have to laugh at some of your wilder claims that the Tomo family invented everything in surf history, but you're a brave dude for putting yourself out there on video! FWIW, I did notice you have a more upright stance like a skater. Beschen has some good IG posts about compressing/unweighting through turns. Frankly, part of the turns being more horizontal than vertical are speed & projection of the Tomos (which is also what I love about them). IMHO, they make it easy to rocket out onto the shoulder and takes more effort (than a standard HPSB) to really get it right back into the lip. I have to really crank my bottom turn to get vertical up the face into the top turn. I also think a more upright fin (Reactor) helps me, while in decent waves those powerdrive ones have a lot of tip dragging around instead of releasing quickly and would do the opposite (carves rather than snaps) IMO. Anyway, that's been my experience on Tomos (+ other fish/alt boards), but I'm still a sucker for the speed they give. I need all the help I can get! And thankfully, no video :shaka:

Last edited:

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
DC: you're surfing fine and out there in some decent size surf, but you might like little more rail line (inch or two)

Reactions: Havoc

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Surprised Futures doesn't mention it if there is in fact "outside concave"...
My experience with the Krypt "power drive" fins apparently hasn't been as positive as Deforest's (but then I'm not an honorary Thomson, lol). I found them to get stuck on bottom turns in any real steep/bowl-y waves and not release smoothly sometimes. Maybe that little rear cutout in the new Futures version makes a difference. Dunno.
Regardless, in weaker/flatter/mushier waves, I think they go great, providing a slight spring out of turns (dare I say: slingshot (™ ...Lost), as a quad in wide tailed boards. The ideal waves FW are are describing the new El Tomo Fish is for sounds like it might be a good fit.
I actually tried them in a Rusty Quatro quad fish this week and I was surprised how well they worked- again, in sideshore mushy 3-4' waves. I haven't really seen footage of anyone but DT surfing them before, and he can probably rip on a McDonalds tray with trapezoidal nubsters on it. LOL
Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. YMMV
I've had the same experience with my Power drive fins. Do not love them.