Jack Robinson qualifies for WSL World Tour amidst controversy with Zeke Lau due to surf eitiquette faux pas!

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
Never knew there was any debate over this.

As a grom you learn quickly gunning for the shoulder will result in a grown man verbally abusing you; as you progress and become a victim yourself you understand you deserved the abuse.

I've never heard any lifelong surfer say otherwise because adults tend to know you don't play in oncoming traffic because sometimes it's too hard to stop.

I don't know how any lifelong hardcore surfer could think this because at some point they'd end up seriously injured or at odds with a local who isn't fvcking around.

On the East Coast, the West Coast at any of the better waves, and anywhere on the planet I've ever traveled the paddler's responsibility is to paddle out of the way, even if it means taking it on the head.

That's the rule, and the only rule.
^THIS^
Try that paddling to the shoulder stuff at any break anywhere in the world and you will get verbally abused. Not sure how a pro Doesn't react or at least paddle to the whitewater, and looks like he's sitting really far on the inside, when you do that you should be ultra aware cause bad stuff happens when you sit inside like that.

to quote the great turtle:
"when it breaks here, don't be there"

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Failing to eat whitewater is one of the worst and most often abused etiquette offenses.

FARTHAMMER

Nep status
Apr 19, 2009
Ehh it happens to everyone if you catch enough waves and surf at crowded spots. If it's peaky and a lot of water is moving around you can get put in the wrong spot no matter how hard you paddle for the white water.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Regardless of what happened, I would like to acknowledge that no Hawaiians have made death threats at Jack Robinson, like the whole Medina/Caio and Brazil thing.
haha.
With all the Slater hating on the other thread. I remember when Kelly beat John then lost to Medina at Teapuhoo there was a lot of racist sh*t directed at Gabby. Kelly went on social media and other platforms and said Medina is a great surfer cut it out.

Too bad Gabby didn’t pay that forward. He’s still a great surfer though.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
haha.
With all the Slater hating on the other thread. I remember when Kelly beat John then lost to Medina at Teapuhoo there was a lot of racist sh*t directed at Gabby. Kelly went on social media and other platforms and said Medina is a great surfer cut it out.

Too bad Gabby didn’t pay that forward. He’s still a great surfer though.
Is Brazil a race or country? I'm confused.

Mar 13, 2019
I tried explaining the whole situation to my 10-year-old kid, as objectively as possible. At that age, kids have a pretty well-defined sense of 'right' and 'wrong'. The look of injustice on her face was priceless.

"You mean White was in the way of Red and ruined Red's wave and broke his board and Red didn't get any points and Red didn't get priority and Red lost the contest and Red might not get on tour but White won and will get on tour?!?"

She didn't have any stake in it, but she couldn't even begin to understand how that outcome was anything even remotely close to fair. Maybe in future contests there should be a kid on the judges panel to decide interference calls.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, you gotta paddle for the white water and take the beating, but THANK ALL THE GODS Robbo has made it on to the tour. He's gonna mix things up for sure.

doubleup

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 18, 2019
I tried explaining the whole situation to my 10-year-old kid, as objectively as possible. At that age, kids have a pretty well-defined sense of 'right' and 'wrong'. The look of injustice on her face was priceless.

"You mean White was in the way of Red and ruined Red's wave and broke his board and Red didn't get any points and Red didn't get priority and Red lost the contest and Red might not get on tour but White won and will get on tour?!?"

She didn't have any stake in it, but she couldn't even begin to understand how that outcome was anything even remotely close to fair. Maybe in future contests there should be a kid on the judges panel to decide interference calls.
Wise young woman, based on the information she was provided.
Maybe you could similarly summarize the case for Hawaiian National Sovereignty and the details of how Hawaii came to lose its Nationhood. I'd like to learn if she thinks Native Hawaiians should be allowed to leave the USA, kick out the US military, nationalize the tourist industry and seize all property owned by non-Natives.
Next up, anthropogenic climate disruption (ACD), pollution and non-sustainable Western lifestyles. Time for a Prius?

Last edited:

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
much more exciting than Zeke. Zeke has been a dud on tour. Robo will be a serious contender at any barreling wave on tour.
60+% of the guys on tour are duds. Trading one dud for another isn’t going to save the tour.

The only thing that can save the tour is a wave pool in Lemoore.

Last edited:

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
While Robbo absolutely took the wrong line paddling back out and interfered, it's just so hard to have sympathy For Zeke.

I don't care for his jock approach to surfing and all the claims. Wasn't he the one photographed with a "haoles go home" t-shirt during a north shore event last year?

How about the Lemoore contest this year when he paddled out before his heat and interfered with wild card Jett Schilling? Zeke offered no apology for his actions, stating simply, “Grom thought he could just come on the CT and take our waves? No way, bra. You gotta earn it in the big leagues.”

Hassling a 16 year-old kid... pretty lame Zeke. You showed him tough guy! :)

Send Lau back to the minors and let him work on his intimidation game some more.

Much rather watch Robbo over Lau - and I'm not in the minority.

This maneuver should have given an interference; the tour spot should have been Zeke's.

http://instagr.am/p/B5qWGgWnPig/

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
How about the Lemoore contest this year when he paddled out before his heat and interfered with wild card Jett Schilling? Zeke offered no apology for his actions, stating simply, “Grom thought he could just come on the CT and take our waves? No way, bra. You gotta earn it in the big leagues.”
This really happened? That's a direct quote?

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I don't really care much, honestly, but watching the review of the wave, it seemed there should have
clearly been an interference called. Also, don't remember if it was that heat or another, but Jack Robinson
f'ing owned Sunset in one far beyond what I saw anyone else do in that contest. Seems there was a clear
"winner" in that contest.

Reactions: Havoc