Recent content by ThePenguin

1. T

FW Dominator II Noel Salsa

Noel kinda masks some things that make me hate boards bc he surfs so much and so much more consistently. Example, I'm fat and old and dont get my feet into perfect position as well as I used to. Got a blackbox3 last year and found board bogs like crazy when too far fwd. Have worked on it all...
  2. T

Hip Surgery

I had the same issue in 2012 -- essentially fell badly skiing, ripped my labrum, revealed that I had an abnormally shaped femoral head. Got surgery at hospital for special surgery and am so much better. The surgery was in July and that winter I lived in Jackson Hole and skied 70 days...
  3. T

Channels

Never owned a channel bottom, always wanted one... have heard that the channels only really engage in glassy waves... take this with a grain of salt
  4. T

Surf Coaching

If you want to learn airs (something I know how to do but hardly every do as a fattish dad of 2...) I wld recommend 2 things: 1) be sure you know how to ollie a skateboard, 2) think alot about the idea of pulling your knees to your chest --> with those 2 things in place your dreams of flight can...
  5. T

Noel Salsa Mediner Cabianca Review

As an aside -- I feel that Noel's reviews are sometimes also a function of how good the surf is when he reviews the board. I went back to his recent MonstaBox 2020, a board he did not seem to like as much.... (and a board I want as a round tail for "big-ish" eastcoast surf) And it looks more...
  6. T

Official ....Lost custom order thread

This is true but also partially intended to fan the flames a bit... but despite all of this I think I will only be getting Losts and JS's going fwd. Losts for barely OH and down and JS's for the rest. I'm now east coast based and the lost groveler collection is just unmatched for me :)
  7. T

Official ....Lost custom order thread

This thread is starting to get interesting in the general theme of: shld shapers care about custom orders from regular people? Also for context my current quiver = 1x lost custom, 2x lost off the rack, 1x lost via craigslist, 2x custom stamps, 1x stock dims but none the less ordered JS bc it...
  8. T

Footage of coffin on a JS

No disrepect to Al or any of the new shapers working for CI but... who is the highest rated WCT surfer on CIs these days? I agree broadly that Kelly shld get back on CI or Simon Andersons ASAP but at the same time feel like some of the luster of the magic board is gone... I see this more as...
  9. T

Quad set up

I love hayden quad rears which I believe are originally a retodd rec that went to my close friend who was at the time living in Tahiti. I find AM2 fronts with hayden rears are an awesome groveler quad set for a bigger guy. I run Biolos fronts with hayden rears in my round tail step-up quads...
  10. T

Board suggestions for rolling/mushy waves?

Ok, quick one here, I grew up surfing east coast, moved to socal for 5yrs (surfed alot) moved back to east coast and have gradually gotten worse largely from having 2 young kids. I find number 1 thing is rocker. When I got back from CA I had all these awesome hand shaped chillis that just hated...