Official ....Lost custom order thread

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Kool-aid, he just wanted to ask for opinions on the Lost custom process after he'd put the order for his Driver 2.0 in. Makes perfect sense.

Brohena, I ordered my Driver though XTR this spring and it came out great. Little slower than the last couple Pyzel's but still under 8 weeks.

Reactions: Lohena and oeste858
Aug 22, 2008
This is true but also partially intended to fan the flames a bit... but despite all of this I think I will only be getting Losts and JS's going fwd. Losts for barely OH and down and JS's for the rest. I'm now east coast based and the lost groveler collection is just unmatched for me :)

Reactions: chilly1

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Casa, why did you start this thread in the first place? Were you expecting an outpouring of glowing Lost custom order reviews?
No.

retodd planted the seed in another thread and I followed through with it.

I wanted to hear the horror stories.

I love a good horror story.

And when you make as many boards as Lost, of course there will be some horror stories.

When you're a major manufacturer of any product you're bound to produce some horror stories. It just comes with the territory.

I was also curious about general consumer behavior. As in how often the consumer set themselves up for failure or failed to take action when they didn't get what they ordered.

I think with surfboards that happens a lot. Just like it happens with the trades. Shoddy work, slow work time, work not performed to specifications, etc. The same exact stories, just different industries.

I think we are seeing a pattern that just like with the trades, a lot of people a) set themselves up for a bad experience b) take no actions when they get screwed over of hundreds and thousands of dollars

I wonder how many manufacturers have been taken to small claims?

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
At the risk of high jacking the thread

Have people had good success with STRETCH custom orders??

What other big brands should we know about?

The best, always on time
At the risk of high jacking the thread

Have people had good success with STRETCH custom orders??

What other big brands should we know about?

The best, that's why I keep ordering from them, you get spoiled.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I was also curious about general consumer behavior. As in how often the consumer set themselves up for failure or failed to take action when they didn't get what they ordered.

I think with surfboards that happens a lot. Just like it happens with the trades. Shoddy work, slow work time, work not performed to specifications, etc. The same exact stories, just different industries.

I think we are seeing a pattern that just like with the trades, a lot of people a) set themselves up for a bad experience b) take no actions when they get screwed over of hundreds and thousands of dollars
Set themselves up for bad experience... How, exactly? By expecting what they paid for to be delivered as promised?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Ordered a board from stretch.

You guys were right. Hands down the best.

Won’t order a board from anyone else. Easy to deal with and attentive

Reactions: rts265

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Set themselves up for bad experience... How, exactly? By expecting what they paid for to be delivered as promised?
GWS wrote a good long post about it a few weeks ago in regards to the basics of how to order a surfboard.

Generally speaking I think stuff like ordering from guys who already got it wrong before, not dealing directly with the shaper, ordering through shops, changing your mind after placing your order, paying cash to guys you don't know well, losing/not receiving/not asking for an order slip, working with guys who can't find their order slips, and ignoring a general vibe sets you up for a bad experience.

Most guys here have ordered a lot of boards by now and should be able to be discerning. Notice how guys are talking about how they keep going back to Stretch. If I lived in Santa Cruz or liked quads I'd be taking note.

I'll reiterate - it's the same as contracting someone to do work on your house. Pretty much everyone gets screwed at least once - some learn from it, others don't. Hiring a guy who forgot his tape measure when he came to do the estimate or did a sh!t job on your buddy's house probably isn't a good idea. If you're going to do it, keep your expectations low and hope for the best. But realize your have no one to really blame but yourself when things go south.

Even worse is being spineless and not speaking up/taking action when things do go south.

Reactions: rts265

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
"If I lived in Santa Cruz or liked quads I'd be taking note."

Like many here you have just tried the wrong ones = they work really well if the shaper has spent time placing those rear fins . Thruster placements can be very generic and often successful .