Recent travels to Michoacán state?

Apr 30, 2022
Has anyone spent any time traveling and surfing in michoacán state; with a vehicle rental?

What was your experience and thoughts regarding safety? Travel advisories say to flat out not go to Colima, Guerrero, or Michoacán, which sits between those two. I'm considering going in April or November.

Baja and Nayarit were fun and I felt safe, but too expensive, over developed and crowded now so not much desire to go back. Oaxaca looks appealing but seems very south swell dependent.

Apr 30, 2022
Between Manzanillo and Ixtapa along the coast? ... Is highway 200 is reasonably safe if you stick to the coastal side, don’t travel at night and don’t drive inland?

Been reading in the news of farmers n military getting taken out by IEDs and mayor candidates being assassinated recently in Michoacan. I don’t want to be anywhere close to that crazy sh!t.

Mar 25, 2024
Michoacán's got its charms and risks, but if you're sticking to the coastal side of Highway 200 during the day, you should be okay. Just stay away from driving at night and venturing too far inland. Safety first!

Apr 30, 2022
Good to hear. I guess that's it's the toss up. Go to a less safe, more rural and less crowded part of Mexico and inherit addition risk. Or an area considered safer that's over developed and exploited.

Have you surfed along this coastline before?

Mar 25, 2024
Yeah, I've actually surfed along both types of coastlines in Mexico. It's definitely a toss-up, like you said. In less crowded, rural spots, you get this raw, authentic vibe, but there's that added element of risk. On the other hand, the more developed areas might feel safer, but sometimes they can be a bit too crowded and commercialized for my taste. It really depends on what you're looking for in your surf experience. Both have their pros and cons. What about you? Ever surfed along this coastline before?

Apr 30, 2022
Never, my friend has been going to La Ticla and Nexpa for years, for months at a time and loves it, although he doesn't rent a car and relies on the bus or rides from the people he knows/meets down there. In Mexico I've only been to Baja Sur and Nayarit, where I did rent a car and do a little exploring.

Mar 25, 2024
My favorites are Sayulita and Puerto Escondido, Both spots are super popular among surfers for good reason. The scenery, the people, the food—it's all just top-notch. Baja Sur and Nayarit are also incredible, with so much to explore. Do you have any favorite memories from your trips?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Just stay away from driving at night and venturing too far inland. Safety first!
The worst part about the interior of Michoacan is the basin of sweltering death. I've never been to Patzcuaro at all, only changed buses in Uruapan, but I've spent a few evenings in Morelia for one reason or another over the years and IMHO it's an outstanding place. Also Uncle Ogro tells me Cuatro Caminos has the best birria ingredients on this good Earth.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The worst part about the interior of Michoacan is the basin of sweltering death. I've never been to Patzcuaro at all, only changed buses in Uruapan, but I've spent a few evenings in Morelia for one reason or another over the years and IMHO it's an outstanding place. Also Uncle Ogro tells me Cuatro Caminos has the best birria ingredients on this good Earth.
Uruapan is carnitas country. Da best!

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit
Apr 30, 2022
My favorites are Sayulita and Puerto Escondido, Both spots are super popular among surfers for good reason. The scenery, the people, the food—it's all just top-notch. Baja Sur and Nayarit are also incredible, with so much to explore. Do you have any favorite memories from your trips?
Sayulita was pretty though dirty water, but that whole area I was less stoked on; too busy, expensive and over developed. Punta De Mita was ugly with a monstrosity of resorts all along that coast. I loved San Pancho though and La Lancha was an awesome place.

Baja Sur I mostly stayed around Cerritos, Pescedero and Todos Santos, but visited Cabo Pulmo which was awesome. Really neat area though stretch between San Jose Del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas was just one mega resort after another. Would love to go back to explore more of the east cape. Cerritos I visited in 2014 and again in 2022. It had changed a lot in the 8 years, they were building a new town at the north end of the beach that didn't exist in 2014. Lots of good restaurants and amenities, and friendly people. The surf beach was very crowded though. The big hurricane messed up the San Perdito point break so most people surf Cerritos and La Pastora with both being busy.

Kinda why I am looking at Colima/Michoacan and Oaxaca to be somewhere a bit less exploited and closer to nature with options for surf.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I have a memory of Seeyalater. In June 1973 I and my traveling companions got a ride up there in a Corona delivery truck from PV, let us out on the highway and we walked in. There was one restaurant and not much else. We walked up the beach around a half click and found an abandoned palapa and settled in after some cleanup. The next day something I’d eaten in PV attacked with vengeance. I was sick for three days, immobilized. The water delivery truck wasn’t on any kind of schedule and we ended up drinking warm RC Cola and warm Modelo as we couldn’t sync up with the water truck. We were there for 15 days and there wasn’t a ripple the whole time. Dead flat. Seeya dafuk later.

Mar 25, 2024
@Kulharin Yeah some places might get very full and built up as time goes by. It seems San Pancho and La Lancha are like hidden gems.

Very good plan to visit Colima, Michoacan, and Oaxaca. These places have beautiful scenery, and I hear they also have great places for surfing that are not as crowded as the usual tourist spots.

Mar 25, 2024
I have a memory of Seeyalater. In June 1973 I and my traveling companions got a ride up there in a Corona delivery truck from PV, let us out on the highway and we walked in. There was one restaurant and not much else. We walked up the beach around a half click and found an abandoned palapa and settled in after some cleanup. The next day something I’d eaten in PV attacked with vengeance. I was sick for three days, immobilized. The water delivery truck wasn’t on any kind of schedule and we ended up drinking warm RC Cola and warm Modelo as we couldn’t sync up with the water truck. We were there for 15 days and there wasn’t a ripple the whole time. Dead flat. Seeya dafuk later.
Ah, such a nice holiday it was. Drinking lukewarm RC Cola, watching the calm sea, and experiencing an unfortunate case of food poisoning. Truly a trip to remember!

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
La revancha de moctezuma.

“wanna see nature” and “less crowded,” sounds to me like been alone ir exploring by yourself. Mex is the last place i’d be doin that sht.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
@Kulharin Yeah some places might get very full and built up as time goes by. It seems San Pancho and La Lancha are like hidden gems.

Very good plan to visit Colima, Michoacan, and Oaxaca. These places have beautiful scenery, and I hear they also have great places for surfing that are not as crowded as the usual tourist spots.
Fac
When i hear michoacan, culiacan and all those cans i think of no mans land. We drove thru there, back in 2009 all the way down to Panama. Aound ixtapa, the guys we met around basically told us we were much better off driving away and staying in the next town.
fun as hell though. Always wanted to go drive thru Mexico again, but i guess i’ve been watching to much Narcos.

thats us gettin stopped by the police

Attachments

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Aound ixtapa, the guys we met around basically told us we were much better off driving away and staying in the next town.
:roflmao: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Those were the guys that weren’t trying to make money off of you. If you’re ever in the area again look me up.

Reactions: paunch23
Apr 30, 2022
La revancha de moctezuma.

“wanna see nature” and “less crowded,” sounds to me like been alone ir exploring by yourself. Mex is the last place i’d be doin that sht.
Worked out great between Puerto Vallarta and San Blas and all over Baja Sur at any rate as those three trips I was solo. If I go in November there would be crossover with a friend who is familiar with the area, as he has spent time in Pascuales, Nexpa and La Ticla. Said the only really sketchy place was Tecoman at night.

He also had a coked up dumb ass friend who was talking sh!t some apparent gang associate. A bunch of people showed up and the dumb ass was given a firm warning along the lines of "No more trouble from you, understand?"

Mar 25, 2024
Fac
When i hear michoacan, culiacan and all those cans i think of no mans land. We drove thru there, back in 2009 all the way down to Panama. Aound ixtapa, the guys we met around basically told us we were much better off driving away and staying in the next town.
fun as hell though. Always wanted to go drive thru Mexico again, but i guess i’ve been watching to much Narcos.

Listening to what local people suggest is wise when you are travelling in places that are new for you. If thinking about a road trip again through Mexico, it can be managed safely if taking some careful steps. Ensure to study the present security conditions, follow paths that many people use and keep updated with travel warnings.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Fac

Crocodile attack in the estuary at Playa Linda yesterday, went after a 10 y/o kid and the father and aunt beat it back and saved kid. They’re friends of my sister in law and are staying at her house in Barrio. Also, red tide is in with doh junk swell.

edit: this is the suspect
1713288975334.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: sizzld1 and mundus