Mizata El Salvador with the wife?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Leaving this weekend and starting to think about boars to bring. Forecast for the week is basically 3-5 with a couple 4-6 days early next week.

- 5’6 Bullet is definitely coming.
- I picked up a 5’9 Sub Driver that’s coming as well. Slightly nervous about bringing the SD because I’ve never ridden it and haven’t dialed in fins, but I’m bringing a bunch of my go-to thruster sets.
- The wildcard is the 5’8 Bom Dia. I’d like to bring it as a safety backup in case the SD just doesn’t work for me for whatever reason. And also because I think it would be a good boar for a softer point such as Sunzal. It’s also 29L vs the other two which are at 27L which could help a bit later in the trip with paddling.

But do I really need to pack 3 boars? Also don’t want to get screwed by American Airlines for baggage fees even though my wife has good status with them through her work. You never know.
I have an OG Sub Driver, not a 2, but I rode that thing at Sunzal and all over the Mizata spots and it felt great for me. It responded really well to fins; upright fins feel good in more pockety surf and swept fins feel good to me in open-faced, flatter faced surf.

Direction and period looks real good; might kinda max out the right hander. The right at "the point" is IMHO an outstanding backhand thruster wave, and the rights against the grain back toward the boulder field off the far side likewise - but watch yourself. You can torch a lot of energy getting caught inside in front of that thing.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I have an OG Sub Driver, not a 2, but I rode that thing at Sunzal and all over the Mizata spots and it felt great for me. It responded really well to fins; upright fins feel good in more pockety surf and swept fins feel good to me in open-faced, flatter faced surf.

Direction and period looks real good; might kinda max out the right hander. The right at "the point" is IMHO an outstanding backhand thruster wave, and the rights against the grain back toward the boulder field off the far side likewise - but watch yourself. You can torch a lot of energy getting caught inside in front of that thing.
Gracias senor. Great info. I think I'll just stick with the Bullet and the Sub Driver.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Gracias senor. Great info. I think I'll just stick with the Bullet and the Sub Driver.
If you have status you might want the 29L backup. Mizata typically cuts my feet up and it could easily ding a board or three, and getting that thing down to Tunco and back will be an ordeal.

If you don't bring the extra volume, make sure you stretch and hydrate and banana and icy hot and tennis ball and whatever else. You are going to HAVE to sprint paddle:

1. Punching out the cove past the muneco (sentinel) overlooking the little cove entering the right point. You do NOT want to get caught/swept at the entry to that AT ALL. There's like an imaginary line from the shallower rocks off the cliff face on one side to the cobbles on the point side. Spend as little time there as humanly possible.
2. If you get caught inside going right against the grain by the boulderfield/beach boundary
3. Punching past the impact zone beach-launching for boulderfield lefts
4. Coming in vs the rip at the boulder end of the beach.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Leaving this weekend and starting to think about boars to bring. Forecast for the week is basically 3-5 with a couple 4-6 days early next week.

- 5’6 Bullet is definitely coming.
- I picked up a 5’9 Sub Driver that’s coming as well. Slightly nervous about bringing the SD because I’ve never ridden it and haven’t dialed in fins, but I’m bringing a bunch of my go-to thruster sets.
- The wildcard is the 5’8 Bom Dia. I’d like to bring it as a safety backup in case the SD just doesn’t work for me for whatever reason. And also because I think it would be a good boar for a softer point such as Sunzal. It’s also 29L vs the other two which are at 27L which could help a bit later in the trip with paddling.

But do I really need to pack 3 boars? Also don’t want to get screwed by American Airlines for baggage fees even though my wife has good status with them through her work. You never know.
I would take the Bom Dia. Even though I've never ridden it. lol. I rode quads the whole time when I was there. I found that most of the waves there are kinda slopey. Plus it's nice to have more foam if that right hander starts working.

I remember going left into the boulder field that sharky is talking about and I thought I was going to smash up my board (and my feet).

Don't forget to bring a small first aid kit with waterproof band aids, neosporin and rubbing alcohol. My feet got so jacked up. Every spot there has rocks. I think it's impossible to get your feet cut.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I would take the Bom Dia. Even though I've never ridden it. lol. I rode quads the whole time when I was there. I found that most of the waves there are kinda slopey. Plus it's nice to have more foam if that right hander starts working.

I remember going left into the boulder field that sharky is talking about and I thought I was going to smash up my board (and my feet).

Don't forget to bring a small first aid kit with waterproof band aids, neosporin and rubbing alcohol. My feet got so jacked up. Every spot there has rocks. I think it's impossible to NOT get your feet cut.
Good advice on neosporin and alcohol. I'd go some of that little squirt bottle disinfectant sh!t, and maybe liquid bandage.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Bring the Bom Dia! I'm bringing mine when we go down in July. Last trip to El Zonte I mainly surfed a varial CI Pro. Kind of a mistake bc I definitely did not need that much rocker (even on the bigger days - it got almost double overhead for a few days). It was very responsive and turned on a dime, but struggled big time with the flatter sections.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
i dont think hes hitting Mizata any more could be wrong - but yea dont mess around in that little bay. hop in and keep as much distance between you and that cliff as possible.
Shoot. I saw sharky post about Mizata and just assumed that's where he was headed.

Yeah... i got spooked surfing next to that cliff. It was sucking back out so hard I thought it was going to take me way out to sea.

Reactions: Goofy_Footed

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Shoot. I saw sharky post about Mizata and just assumed that's where he was headed.

Yeah... i got spooked surfing next to that cliff. It was sucking back out so hard I thought it was going to take me way out to sea.
interesting. we were getting sucked back into the cliff zone. id gladly take a free ride out to sea over there but it was pulling us the wrong way.

saw one dude try it on the biggest day - DOH - dude was just getting annihilated between the big broken rock and the cliff for like 45 minutes. he had quite the cheering section watching on the yoga thingy.

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
i dont think hes hitting Mizata any more could be wrong - but yea dont mess around in that little bay. hop in and keep as much distance between you and that cliff as possible.
Correct. Yeah, we're staying right at Sunzal. So between there and Bocana will be the main zone, and then I'll venture around a bit to some other nearby spots.

Edit: so is the current/rip as nasty at Sunzal/Bocana as it is in Mizata?

Edit x2: The Bullet can easily handle soft/slopey surf, but how do you guys feel about riding a smaller boar over there? At 5'6, the Bullet is 3 inches shorter than the Sub Driver. Biggest I've ridden it a t home was stomach high with some head high drops.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReForest

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Correct. Yeah, we're staying right at Sunzal. So between there and Bocana will be the main zone, and then I'll venture around a bit to some other nearby spots.
stocked buddy! youre right there in the mix. 10 minutes to all the other waves in either direction. about 25-30 to Mizata if you want to see what all the fuss is about. Let us know how it went!

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I'm going to repost this since I edited my OP too late:

- So is the current/rip as nasty at Sunzal/Bocana as it is in Mizata?

- The Bullet can easily handle soft/slopey surf, but how do you guys feel about riding a smaller boar over there? At 5'6, the Bullet is 3 inches shorter than the Sub Driver. Biggest I've ridden it a t home was stomach high with some head high drops and it handled fine.

Forecast for reference:
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 5.22.09 PM.png

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'm going to repost this since I edited my OP too late:

- So is the current/rip as nasty at Sunzal/Bocana as it is in Mizata?

- The Bullet can easily handle soft/slopey surf, but how do you guys feel about riding a smaller boar over there? At 5'6, the Bullet is 3 inches shorter than the Sub Driver. Biggest I've ridden it a t home was stomach high with some head high drops and it handled fine.

Forecast for reference:
View attachment 177255
I rode my 5'3" Revo most of the trip. I only rode the Hydroshort at La Rocca and Mizata when it was OH.

I didn't surf Sunzal, but I surfed La Bocana and there was a rip, but nothing crazy. I felt like it was similar to Trestles when it has a bit of a rip going on.

Reactions: Goofy_Footed