Cloudbreak what the fvck

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Getting dry docked on the reef puts you in this bizarre world of live coral, crevices, bommies, and you have to try and find a path back out into the water which involves an hour or so walking/stumbling/wishing you were elsewhere around the lee of the reef and trying to launch off dry coral back into the water and not get caught.

it's fcuked up.
Yeah... I have zero interest in going through stuff like that. The enjoyment I get out of surfing has zero to do with facing risks. The moment there's fear involved my enjoyment is sucked out of it. I know, I'm a pussy.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Yeah... I have zero interest in going through stuff like that. The enjoyment I get out of surfing has zero to do with facing risks. The moment there's fear involved my enjoyment is sucked out of it. I know, I'm a pussy.
It’s just a little blood. Rather spend all day navigating a reef than any amount of time trying to figure out where the surface is

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
It’s just a little blood. Rather spend all day navigating a reef than any amount of time trying to figure out where the surface is
Depends how bad you get held down. I think having to hold your breath a bit longer is better than stitches any day. The stitches will end a trip if you hit the reef hard enough. Also depends how long of a hold down we are talking about. Probably rather get scraped up than get a 2 wave hold down

Reactions: santacruzin

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Depends how bad you get held down. I think having to hold your breath a bit longer is better than stitches any day. The stitches will end a trip if you hit the reef hard enough. Also depends how long of a hold down we are talking about. Probably rather get scraped up than get a 2 wave hold down
No.

Two wave hold down, you come up, shake it off and get right back at it. Or maybe rest a bit, have a banana and get right back at it.

Scraped on the reef you’re probably done for the trip. Even if you get back to surfing it’s going to hurt, it’s going to affect your decisions. Then you have weeks to heal, reef growing under your skin, infections…

I’ll take twenty seconds of spin cycle over reef rash every time.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I prefer not to worry about either. Is it too much too ask for perpetually perfect head high sandy point break? Ok, I'll take cobblestones too.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
hitting reef sucks but if you want to surf the majority of the worlds really good barreling waves better accept it.

Agree that hold downs are a million times better than reef battles, except for giant walls of frigid norcal water. FUCK YOU OCEAN BEACH :cursing::drowning:
Yeah, I'm fine not surfing any of those world class barrels, ever. It's the way it's going too so it'a good thing I don't mind this. All I want is a wave like Lowers for myself, forever and ever, nobody out. I don't see why that's asking too much...

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
The only time I actually hit a reef on that trip was inside Wilkes. Barely made contact and still got torn up a bit. It gets way shallower than it appears. I was completely shocked when I bounced. Didn’t hurt much but it’s just so incongruous to hit bottom when surrounded by so much open water.

restaurants you can see the coral burbling and poking up everywhere- you know damn well how shallow it is before you even take off. Wilkes (lack of) depth came as a surprise

I need to get back there sooner rather than later
The reef at Restaurants hates me. Left more skin and bits trunk there in 3 surfs than a dozen at Cloudbreak. When glassy though, the reef is mesmerizing when in the tube.

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
The reef at Restaurants hates me. Left more skin and bits trunk there in 3 surfs than a dozen at Cloudbreak. When glassy though, the reef is mesmerizing when in the tube.
Always feels a little sketchy for me when im looking down and can see the reef clear as day through a foot of water. Its beautiful though

Reactions: npsp

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Always wanted to go to Tavarua but never really happened. Oh well. Cook Islands reefs were a little more dead due to that evil crown of thorns but absolutely that shallow tropical reef barrel view. I got mesmerized on my backhand parked on the foam ball for god knows how long and didn't snap out of it until I was in less than a foot of water and wave started to run. Tried to pump out of the pocket and high-jump over the top of it before getting drydocked- failed badly. Dragged headfiirst backwards right through the reef. I had the instinct to tuck my head up but got lots of slices all up and down my back, none of them super deep. So, so damn lucky - IIRC stayed out for a while but sat out a day after. Some scrapes to the deck but no dings or missing fins either.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I dry docked on the inside of a super fun right on my first indo trip. Such a rookie move. Dinged board and a ton of cuts. Got back on boat dripping blood everywhere .

everyone laughing at my dumbass for basically riding into the reef and not kicking out.

cuts were not bad just bled bad. They got me patched up and I was good to go.

Those fiji reefs look very very alive. Merciless!

Reactions: brukuns

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I dry docked on the inside of a super fun right on my first indo trip. Such a rookie move. Dinged board and a ton of cuts. Got back on boat dripping blood everywhere .

everyone laughing at my dumbass for basically riding into the reef and not kicking out.

After I did that, my friend there said I was too stupid to travel anywhere that doesn't have immediate on-hand medical attention. :roflmao:

Reactions: brukuns

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
id rather hit the reef all day than a 2 wave hold down. Ive hit the reef plenty of times, got stitched and back out the same day. Its instant - it barely hurts besides the lime juice nonsense. Its quick and happens in an instant, A 2 wave holddown on the other hand which ive had happen to me twice was terrifing, and left me contemplating if I wanted to surf waves like that ever again. For ref - this wasnt mavericks or anything. Just solid beachbreak.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site

Lost somewhere in a sea of bankers boxes in my attic is a DVD that has video of several of my great mishaps from a Ments trip years back. The commentary from the peanut gallery is priceless. If I can find it, I will post it for you to laugh at my misfortunes.
Any time I've ever traveled with firefighters/EMT's they were the type that were more inclined to laugh at you and hand you a bottle of Chinese red cap, then laugh at you as you jump around in pain.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
My second to last day on Tavarua- cloud break got really big. Considerably bigger than the photo I posted. No crowd. I got a few medium set waves got cocky sitting way up the reef. Horizon went dark. No 2 wave hold downs but I took every wave of the set on the head. Easily 20 waves, a few of which were the biggest waves I’ve ever been in the water with, let alone wore the head. Terrifying and exciting and for a split second even thought “oh so this could be how I die”

Pushed all the way into the tower but did eventually manage to paddle off the side of the reef avoiding the walk. My adrenaline was spiked for hours. Or at least until we got back to the island

really need to get back. That kind of rush is addictive

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Lost somewhere in a sea of bankers boxes in my attic is a DVD that has video of several of my great mishaps from a Ments trip years back. The commentary from the peanut gallery is priceless. If I can find it, I will post it for you to laugh at my misfortunes.
Any time I've ever traveled with firefighters/EMT's they were the type that were more inclined to laugh at you and hand you a bottle of Chinese red cap, then laugh at you as you jump around in pain.
Chinese red sauce and I are best buds haha.

Yea they are classic, they will patch up while laughing at you. .
These guys and I have traveled a bunch now and are like brothers, absolutely no mercy.

Oh it hurts bad? what you need to do is take some try-actin...
huh?...try-actin??

yea try acting like a man you sissy
:roflmao: