*** The Official 2024 SITD Chloe Edition ***

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
It's irrelevant to any surfer not featured in the film

A pro chooses a board he likes and that's it. It basically means nothing.

There's some entertainment value in seeing what boards go and what boards don't...but then consider these guys usually put the same fins in every board.
And yet Justin Ternes from Dark Arts in the podcast just posted on another thread said feedback on boards from average surfers is useless compared to the pros…or words to that effect.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
And yet Justin Ternes from Dark Arts in the podcast just posted on another thread said feedback on boards from average surfers is useless compared to the pros…or words to that effect.
Have you ever seen that guy surf? Has anyone?

Last i heard he didn't surf, at least anymore. Not much surfing in Jamul, where he moved some years back.

He's an amateur shaper who runs a glass shop. A lot of guys who are into making surfboards for people - as in actually into it - value feedback from average surfers because it helps them make boards for average surfers.

Anyhow point is with SITD you could have put another pro surfer with the same boards, sized for their heigh and weight, and they likely would have chosen different finalists.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Wow, DH is a d!ck head. Fck that guy n the horse he rode in on, mocking/putting down Borst BC he says he puts same the time and attention into every board. I get it - diff scale of production-no excuse, cocky POS.

Funnily enough, was talking with a friend of mine that’s shaped well north of 5,000 boards the other might about the importance of putting out your best product, every time no matter who it’s for.
1. Borst is probably on the spectrum. I love him more now.

2. DH is being an Aussie. I thought it was funny, because that's how Aussie's are. I appreciated and laughed at it. It wasn't meant as a burn/put-down/disrespect. It was meant more in the vein of brotherhood. I didn't think it was dicked, but obviously it sounds that way at face value.

3. Timmy was awesome. Obviously just beyond stoked to be there, especially after the Italo fiasco.

4. Best BEST answer of the whole thing: "Q: Kolohe, who wins? A: Cole Simler." FVCK YEAH! That made me laugh and smile.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I don’t think DH’s comment was well received by Borst… AT ALL! He looked pretty heated from that point forward.

Great interview though! Timmy is the man. Such a chill guy.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Borst cut for CI for long time.

He's also the builder/owner of the most precise shaping machine on the planet. Very little finish work required.

That's why I thought it was funny his machine broke and he had to handshape the board...and then it made the final.
I heard the half pipe in his backyard was made from his machine. His machine cut each piece or something like that.

• Wow
Reactions: slipped_disc

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think talking sh!t is just being honest about your feelings with other people in a playful way. But it did look like DH struck a nerve with Borst though. lol. Hopefully Borst doesn't take it too personal. I don't think DH is the kind of guy that throws out apologies.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I heard the half pipe in his backyard was made from his machine. His machine cut each piece or something like that.
Yep, and the frame assembles together without any screws. It's like those balsa wood dinosaur models some of put together as kids, but his uses some dowels at the major stress points. The only screws were for the top sheets. He's a mad scientist.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Yep. My biggest take away from that clip is DH is a prick.