***Official Car Talk Thread***

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Saw my first Cybertruck in the wild yesterday. Did not get a pic because I was driving. The driver was a woman which I thought was surprising.

2 impressions: First, it is butt ugly. Second, I wonder how useful it will be as a truck. I just don't see too many construction guys or ranch hands swapping out their F-150s and Tundras for one of these.
I've seen one 4 times now. They're bigger than I thought. Fugly. Rust In Pieces. Also read there was a recall on the hubcaps bc they were eating the sidewalls. Also, the range is a lot less than advertised.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Rear seal leaking engine oil into clutch ruined the nieces and nephew's Christmas present fund.

Oh well, like Racer's friends who aren't going to the Alps and doing Pilates by YouTube, time to dust off the dinner cookbook for the next 6 months:

1709845403529.png

PS
These are SF prices, which is a thing, but at least I got to walk 1/2 hr to and from the shop.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Coupella Deville has her OG 1956 California front plate and 1962 registration sticker on that plate.
I rebuilt the carb and set the timing and dwell properly. She will now positively and properly SMOKE her tires.

View attachment 174648
Bitchen ride!

Watch that gas gauge go down when you smoke the tires.

How’s the salt air there? You keep it covered in a garage?

Reactions: john4surf

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Agree, never heard of replacing one.
I had the daols (or whatever they were called) shear off the flywheel on a 912 Porsche around 1968. I think the replacement flywheel and service to put all back together was around $550-600. Never heard of a flywheel needing replacement since (until Doof’s post).

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
dang. what was wrong with the flywheel? its been a hot minute since i last replaced a clutch but i don't recall even considering replacement of the flywheel.
Agree, never heard of replacing one.
I blame having the fancier Golf GTI with its dual mass flywheel, a leaky engine seal, buying it used from a track going aficionado...and me thinking "with all the money on the labor already sunk, more money for the 'official' recommendation' to replace both for greater vehicle lifespan" isn't too terrible a thing.

A search of the interwebs will bring up threads like this (click me).

This all came about from me gearing down to 4th to pass some cars going up a hill and the engine suddenly redlined. Let off the gas, and the transmission hooked back up, revs back to 3000 rpm and much slower passing of cars. Burning clutch scent galore. Then a week later, steep street, red light, then green, and slipping with burning clutch....yep, it is nearly gone...if only I lived in Kansas.

But yeah, the cost, ouch.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4surf

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Driving a manny tranny in SF has got to be so much fun.
Back in university days, went on a road trip from Eugene with Melody, George, Greg, and Jack to spend New Years Eve in SF and visit with friends.

We drove down in Jack's 1964 Dodge Dart, with three on the tree (for those unaware, this means the shifter is on the steering column, depress clutch pedal then choose from one of three forward gears),...almost as much fun as Karma's (yes, her parents were hippies) push button Valiant. Beside the classic bench seats that had been liberally duct-taped, it had no functioning fan to blow in heat (or outside air), so no defrost function.

It was plenty cold when we left and the only way to keep things fogging up was to keep two windows cracked open. Once over the Siskiyou pass, the cold got so bad that our breath was freezing on the inside of the windscreen. We had to use the ice scraper to scrape off the frost and then quickly wipe it down with a rag. And we had earlier, we had all maneuvered into our sleeping bags....the driver had to "wear" theirs upside down (thank god for double zippers).

So anyway, per plan, we get to SF at the ass crack of dawn (avoiding rush hour traffic), and Jack wants to take the car on an early morning tour.

We start going up to Nob Hill, and have to stop. When it was time to go, engine revs, clutch pedal is all the way out...and then there is billowing smoke of a dying clutch and we go no where. Car behind us beeps and beeps. Air is full of burning clutch smell....as distinctive a scent as finding out the hard way if the soldering iron is hot.

I shout that we all need to get out, Jack is going, 'No, I can reverse down the hill." But I shout louder, and with less mass in the car, the clutch holds, and he gets up the hill. Car behind us is non-stop beeping as it follows the Dart up.

We park the car near our friends, get out the tools and the quick fix was just tightening up the clutch cable. Got home without trouble either. I think he eventually found a junkyard clutch from a similar car but ended up selling the car to a person that was pretty much a twin of Jack from another mother, from build right down to personal affectationsx and clothing. This guy looked more like Jack than Jack's actual brother. It was a little unsettling

Anyway, the Golf has a hill hold function on the clutch, so being stopped on a hill isn't too bad. I don't like it when I have to parallel park on steep hills though, makes the delicate small motions more jerky than it should be.