*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Coming home from Maui last night the 395 was closed at Bishop. We got through with our ID's with our address on it but there were 100 cars turned around at the bottom of the grade wondering wtf to do. Some folks were insisting and arguing with the cops. Tough sh!t. No sense letting people up only to get stuck up higher on the hwy. Utilizing rescue personal because they are dumbfucks. I wonder how many folks slept in their cars in Bishop? People...check CalTrans District 9 before just being a yahoo and blazing up here. Or at least have a room reserved in Bishop.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Coming home from Maui last night the 395 was closed at Bishop. We got through with our ID's with our address on it but there were 100 cars turned around at the bottom of the grade wondering wtf to do. Some folks were insisting and arguing with the cops. Tough sh!t. No sense letting people up only to get stuck up higher on the hwy. Utilizing rescue personal because they are dumbfucks. I wonder how many folks slept in their cars in Bishop? People...check CalTrans District 9 before just being a yahoo and blazing up here. Or at least have a room reserved in Bishop.
Every year I try to rack up enough IHG points for a a couple of nights at the Bishop Holiday Inn Express for this reason. Important to have a plan B.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Every year I try to rack up enough IHG points for a a couple of nights at the Bishop Holiday Inn Express for this reason. Important to have a plan B.
Yeah- I realize people have sh!t they need to attend to, sometimes "essential" as it relates to work or family, but to get on the road in conditions like that? No friggin way. Call in sick FFS

Reactions: npsp

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Its the only way
Sorry, at first I thought it had to be a typo, but wow, so you flew in from a Maui to LAX and then where is home? Cool they let you through with a local ID.

AND I agree, people need to stay the F home until the storm clears and all the workers have a chance to get things running smoothly again. The roads, the resorts, everything. And many of the people trying to go up are so inexperienced And under prepared.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Sorry, at first I thought it had to be a typo, but wow, so you flew in from a Maui to LAX and then where is home? Cool they let you through with a local ID.

AND I agree, people need to stay the F home until the storm clears and all the workers have a chance to get things running smoothly again. The roads, the resorts, everything. And many of the people trying to go up are so inexperienced And under prepared.
Home is where the heart is...currently Mammoth. We flew to LA and my MIL has a nice beach house where we slept and drove off in the late morning. We were in Big Pine before they closed the road. All that being said the skiing pretty much sucked today I was told. Hard snow scoured down from the wind. 6-11-21-22. Some weight up on 22

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The top of Mammoth can be scoured clean and rock-hard after a big wind, even if it comes with a huge dump.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Oh man, I've had harrowing drives in Highway 50, and know exactly where that vehicle appears to be stuck on Echo SUmmit ^^^^^^^ the second part of the big S turn. Eeeeeeeee!!!

Starting to mellow out today and people are SCORING!!

Reactions: Chocki

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
What's the deal with wide boards these days? They only for the giant footed, am I an idiot for considering a wide with a size 10?
For context I've been on skis for the past 15 years, cobbling together a setup off facebook/craigslist since I don't want to drop tons of cash as of yet on a new setup. Looking at last year's rossi one in a 157Wide, it's pretty mint. Last snowboard I owned was a 163 burton indy from about 25 years ago.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What's the deal with wide boards these days? They only for the giant footed, am I an idiot for considering a wide with a size 10?
For context I've been on skis for the past 15 years, cobbling together a setup off facebook/craigslist since I don't want to drop tons of cash as of yet on a new setup. Looking at last year's rossi one in a 157Wide, it's pretty mint. Last snowboard I owned was a 163 burton indy from about 25 years ago.
MOAR float in pow at a given length, MOAR responsive/playful in park due to less length?

Got a couple as rentals on trips. Fun in good condition groomers and fine in very limited powder. Not fun in steeper icy hardpack where traffic, wind, and sun had got all over it. Felt like it'd be fun in slightly slushy snow as well.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Japow Tour day 27, on the Shinkansen bullet train from Hokkaido to Tokyo for a flight out tonight. Niseko delivered in spades, dumping all day on our final day. Trip stats, 15 total riding days, 12 different mountains, almost all powder days, 3 or 4 bluebird days. If you’ve ever thought about Japan, do yourself a favor and pull the trigger. It’s not expensive. $48 was the most I spent on a lift ticket. Managed 3 days on Ikon, which was nice. This was my second trip here, prolly an annual event now.
Extra Special Bonus, no homeless, no assholes, except for the occasional drunk Aussie (the one I was traveling with excluded, he’s a guud kaaaan), well behaved children, and some of the nicest, welcoming people you could ever encounter.
Gonna go home and rest for a week and then get busy at Mammoth, maybe catch a wave or two In between. Retirement is grand.
View attachment 173566View attachment 173567
Yo man. Such a nice trip, ay? Did you guys rent a car? How was moving between resorts? What was the average hotel prices? Thanks a lot, I am planning to go next February.

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Yo man. Such a nice trip, ay? Did you guys rent a car? How was moving between resorts? What was the average hotel prices? Thanks a lot, I am planning to go next February.
Thanks. We got around exclusively by train, the local bus and the odd taxi. Plenty easy to move around, trains go everywhere. Average hotel I’d say was $120-$150 night, split with a buddy. Sometimes we’d pay more for luxury, sometimes less at a hostel (private room) because it made sense or availability. Plenty of options for all price ranges. You’ll love it. I’ll be there next February too!

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Well the storm dumped snow, but it was pretty wind blown at Kirkwood. Spur was closed Monday, so missed the initial opening when the road opened from South Lake, but drove all the way around from Pioneer on Tuesday (an extra 2 hours of driving). Although the frontside was tracked out, found a couple okay pockets of fluffy stuff. But the sleeper conditions that ended up being very fun was the wind buff. The wind was swirling from all directions, and the open faces that had already been tracked were nicely filled in with the wind, mostly up on the Wall.

Ventured over to the backside when they opened for the first time in days, and the powder was rather lackluster, as it was super packed. Wind blown and firm, but still some fun lines to be had with some extra hiking.

Went back up for a half day on Wednesday and had fun carving the groomers.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Kiddo had her big race of the season this weekend. She's improved a ton over the last year and is now skiing the whole mountain. Unfortunately she wants to be like her mom and start snowboarding soon. :foreheadslap:

Either way, we're really proud of her improvement, confidence, and fortitude when things go sideways. All good life lessons.

http://instagr.am/p/C4VqLh5rctC2MQ03CHB6su9NpPMoQ3EaNnXzWs0/
IMG_6556.jpeg
IMG_6563.jpeg

Last edited: