Divorce Thread better than book thread

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
@Subway be careful with your body and your spirit. Those apps can go after both. They're certainly fun, but they can do real damage to the way you see yourself, women, and relationships. Don't go a breedin' either!

As for young men not marrying, they'll figure it out or they won't. Decisions, poor and good, will be made accordingly.
Polygamy won't answer anything.
95% of people can't afford the lifestyle they think they want, either financially or emotionally, on their own. Some will realize that, others won't.

Marriage isn't the problem.
Unreasonable expectations of one's self and others is the problem.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I’ve never been married but this interview is pretty awesome. He hits on some really good points that will make you laugh.

James appears to be a pessimist and not religious. I would not take marriage advice from him, the same way I would not take car advice from a guy that runs a junk yard. All he sees are the wrecks. Can't blame him for his outlook. But its a bias outlook based on his circumstances and environment. Marriage is a religious construct. He is looking at marriage from a legal perspective. Not the correct outlook for a lasting marriage IMO.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
@Subway be careful with your body and your spirit. Those apps can go after both. They're certainly fun, but they can do real damage to the way you see yourself, women, and relationships. Don't go a breedin' either!
That's what I was getting at.

Marriage isn't the problem.
Unreasonable expectations of one's self and others is the problem.
100%

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
James appears to be a pessimist and not religious. I would not take marriage advice from him, the same way I would not take car advice from a guy that runs a junk yard. All he sees are the wrecks. Can't blame him for his outlook. But its a bias outlook based on his circumstances and environment. Marriage is a religious construct. He is looking at marriage from a legal perspective. Not the correct outlook for a lasting marriage IMO.
A marriage is totally agree a religious contract
But a marriage is always a legal contract

totally agree that a divorce lawyer is likely to have a bias towards believing marriage is ugly

I didn’t watch the video

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
Yeah but there are other factors in play too.

And I don't think that ends well.

TBH I think we may be trending toward polygamy in the near future; successful, financially stable men with multiple wives as so many younger men are now considered unmarriable or just not interested.

IMHO if considered acceptable many/most women would far prefer a polygamous marriage to no marriage/no children.
That sounds like HELL.

One mother in law is too many.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Do church people have it easier?

I would think so.

The whole social thing.

Then I see the online bickering religious people are involved in and I wonder if the well has been poisoned there too.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

I would think so.

The whole social thing.

Then I see the online bickering religious people are involved in and I wonder if the well has been poisoned there too.

Humans are, by and large, social creatures. I think the "community" aspect of religious practice is more impactful for most than what it lends theologically.

Most people do better with community and religion tends build that in for more reasons than one.
Community support, accountability, free access to resources, networking- all that.
You can be religious all by yourself, but most people aren't looking for that. For many, that's not even what they need.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
@Subway, Are you still doing the wave pool thing or did it fall victim to the downsizing?
That will be a game time decision. If the pool were opening tomorrow and it was my turn to ride 20 waves and pony up? I would probably ride my 20 waves, just to check the box, and then decline to join

But, they are still several months away from opening (at the earliest) so i don't have to make any decisions for quite some time

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

I would think so.

The whole social thing.

No way! Same exact problems as non-religious marriages.

This thread caught my attention because my wife threatened divorce after she found out how expensive my new Dark Arts was.

No free pass because I believe in Jesus.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Don’t worry casa my expectations are non existent

Just joking....I've always thought the main message was 'looks don't last' or "good looks stray'.

I would think so.

The whole social thing.

Worst (meanest) divorces I've seen were from the more religious side.

However, longest lasting marriage (not without its bad moments) are from Kim and Duane. Morman Kim and Jewish Duane done got preggers at 17, Kim drops out of high school, they get married, get semi-disowned by both sets of folks, quit the church/temple thing, he joins the Coast Guard, blah blab blah, I run into them 10+ yrs later in Emeryville (they were living on on TI at the time) and we caught back up and remained in touch.

She is now a great grandma and still married, both occasionally go to their respected places of worship, but neither are zealots.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I would think so.

The whole social thing.

The culture has poisoned the church also, but not as badly. I am concerned for my boys though.
I found a weightier argument against polygamy - John Calvin commenting on Exodus 12:17