Pro surfers/no insurance/begging for money on GoFundMe

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
a lot of that is because the UC actively discriminates against Californians in favor of foreign students.

Back in the day, pro surfing seemed to ride the upward wave of surf brands and culture. It was attractive to midwesterners moving to CA so the Tour was a way to move product.
It is hard to imagine a time that the tour moved product to anyone outside of the surf world...it has tried for its entire existence, but the fact that hollister absolutely dominated most surf brands in sales tells you all you need to know about the effectiveness of pro surfing as a marketing tool.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It is hard to imagine a time that the tour moved product to anyone outside of the surf world...it has tried for its entire existence, but the fact that hollister absolutely dominated most surf brands in sales tells you all you need to know about the effectiveness of pro surfing as a marketing tool.
You're right. Pro surfing has no point. I'm going to leave this revolver on your desk and walk out of the room. You know what to do.

Reactions: menobrah

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
You're right. Pro surfing has no point. I'm going to leave this revolver on your desk and walk out of the room. You know what to do.
Pro surfing's point is to make money and move BillaQuikVolHurlaBong product.

Reactions: noone999

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
It’s pretty damn unconscionable for a company like Vans to sponsor a surf contest at a dangerous spot like Pipe and not provide the competitors with basic insurance protecting against injury while competing and paying medical expenses arising from such an injury. It’s actually absurd. Terrible business practice

Reactions: waxhead and Havoc

Buoy_maker

OTF status
Feb 20, 2017
If I was good enough to surf pipe and could get it with just three other people out I would enter. Id probably just sit on the shoulder if they were holding it in proper conditions.

Not even sure why "pro surfers" exist? I get the movies, definitely the culture, but pro contests are rarely interesting for more than a few minutes. Boaring boards, rarely decent style and then you gotta ask for money on Only Fans to cover getting demolished @ Chopes? Why even bother? Unless its John John or possibly EE I just turn it off or look for some non-WCT stylist who has good taste in music. I did (still) like Bobby Martinez after seeing him annhilate Rincon backside on several occasions in eons past. No we def need to talk with the general population of San Clemente about setting up a fund for the nameless surfers that make their lives so cushy....

• Haha
Reactions: Pescado713

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
When I worked at Surfer long ago, our group was led by Doug Palladini. He went on to become prez at Vans. I didn’t agree with everything DP did at Surfer pubs—he helped orchestrate its ultimately ruinous sale to Petersen pubs. But he was a very, very smart and detail oriented dude who knew action sports. Heck, he started up Snowboarder mag, which made Surfer publicatoons millions. From what I gathered, Doug kept Vans pretty much on its A-game during his tenure there. I have a hard time imagining this shitshow would have happened with someone at the helm who understood the surf, snow, skate world like Palladini did. I threw the Tahitian kid a few shekels. Y’all should too.

Reactions: keenfish and Havoc

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Surfers, especially those in the surf industry, tend to be very ethical, responsible, selfless humans. Of course they would pay.
fair point. Lol

it’s strange that a presumably sophisticated company like Vans would run an event without securing injury insurance for participants. I’m sure that Vans remembered to have the surfers sign waivers though

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
fair point. Lol

it’s strange that a presumably sophisticated company like Vans would run an event without securing injury insurance for participants. I’m sure that Vans remembered to have the surfers sign waivers though
1705550895047.gif
Why should they have insurance for the participants?
Theyre providing the venue, compensating the winners with prize money, etc. Why is it their fault if the competitors are too dumb to have appropriate health insurance???

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
The problem is this kid is a French citizen who purchased US travel insurance. That insurance just excluded injuries from a competition …. because those should be covered by the event.

Vans is under no legal obligation to provide insurance. They’re entitled to leave a potentially paralyzed traveling surfer without coverage, which they apparently did here.

Reactions: Chocki and Havoc

buttholesurfer

Duke status
Dec 20, 2002
RatBeach
First there was the guy that got hurt at Chopes, then the Peruvian guy the got hurt at Pipe, now the Tahitian guy that got hurt at Pipe.

What a bizarre world we're living in.:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

I'm sure they would donate to your GoFundMe and would throw you some waves at their local.

Get a fvcking job!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Reactions: grapedrink