Pro surfers/no insurance/begging for money on GoFundMe

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Damn you guys are brutal…. Just don’t donate if it makes you that angry?

I donated. Hope the guy feels better and reaches his goal.

Bagging on those who seem to "have it made" is a world renown past time.

Am not sure anyone here is particularly brutal or not, especially in the light of people making public pleas for $.

But anyway, I am with you, just don't donate if you don't want to, and go "tut tut" at one's own foibles before pointing the finger at others. It is what the Buddha would do.;)

Reactions: tacos and tenover

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Am not sure anyone here is particularly brutal or not, especially in the light of people making public pleas for $.

But anyway, I am with you, just don't donate if you don't want to, and go "tut tut" at one's own foibles before pointing the finger at others. It is what the Buddha would do.;)
Buddha don’t surf.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yes. There's nothing barring a person from leaving the country due to owing money here.

A hospital cannot hold you against your will, nor will they try.

CBP/TSA, etc do not care about debts between private parties.

Once you leave the country, if you don't eventually pay, creditors will still track you down, wherever you are.

Josh Moniz got hurt in Portugal after he was eliminated from a WSL challenger series comp and went for a freesurf at Supertubos. WSL picked up all of the medical expenses. Not sure if Portugal has socialized medicine but Josh is a US citizen, if that matters regarding the bill.
It's different depending on what country.

My understanding is a lot of countries with socialized care will charge non-citizens.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
Yes. There's nothing barring a person from leaving the country due to owing money here.

Once you leave the country, if you don't eventually pay, creditors will still track you down, wherever you are.

My understanding is a lot of countries with socialized care will charge non-citizens.
i broke my back in belgium. total cost for an overnight hospital stay, cat scan, mri, xrays, all of the other things needed..,.$67.00

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Less pointing the finger, more fascinated.

The people donating are the crazier ones.

You behave negligently in pursuit of pure pleasure...and a bunch of random people for money and they give you over 30k in three days?

Cause the guy surfs?

How does one even feel deserving of that sort of charity?

I'm interested in the psychology.

This isn't a person dying of cancer...hell I've seen people with cancer that have way more trouble tapping into that sort of GoFundMe cash.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Less pointing the finger, more fascinated.

The people donating are the crazier ones.

You behave negligently in pursuit of pure pleasure...and a bunch of random people for money and they give you over 30k in three days?

Cause the guy surfs?

How does one even feel deserving of that sort of charity?

I'm interested in the psychology.

This isn't a person dying of cancer...hell I've seen people with cancer that have way more trouble tapping into that sort of GoFundMe cash.
Might be time for another poo packet.

• Haha
Reactions: SpudBoy

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja

LOL, he never said he never said he couldn't leave.

SO yea Really?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Here is the WSL's policy.:

INSURANCE
Q: What type of insurance is offered?
A: The policies are supplementary personal accident and travel insurance supplied by Willis Insurance Brokers. This means it does NOT cover health benefit insurance that you should obtain in your own country of residence that would cover any medical costs. WSL is not the insurer, we have just facilitated policies that cover our members for competing in professional surfing events.

Q: Do I have to purchase insurance?
A: Yes. To compete in your country of residence, you must purchase the Domestic Medical Cover.

If you are competing outside your country of residence, you must purchase one of the policies offered (additional to the Domestic Medical Cover). Your usual government or private health coverage will not apply.

Q: What does the insurance cover?
A: You can access the different coverage summaries from your account. Select the three (3) red lines in the top right corner of the page. Select MEMBERSHIPS to see the insurance information options.

Each policy has a "Coverage Summary" that you should read carefully before purchasing. It does not cover you for regular medical benefits. You should obtain your own advice when purchasing this or any other insurance to make sure you have the insurance that best suits your own personal circumstances.

Q: How do I file and insurance claim?
A: You can access a claim form from your account. Select the three (3) red lines in the top right corner of the page. Select MEMBERSHIPS to see the insurance information options.

Reactions: Boneroni

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You have too much time on your hands @casa_mugrienta ....
Started the morning with a doctor's appmt. Then visit to my parents. Then got some dental work done. Then a little early afternoon longboard session. Lunch at Jeff's Burgers. Back home, surf trip planning; bought airline tickets. Then went to the gym. Got home cooked some salmon and pasta. Now making more surf travel plans. Going to wrap it up now and play some guitar.

Yeah, too much time on my hands. Oh well.

What'd you do today?