What is the value of 10% of Kelia Moniz's prior contract?

buttholesurfer

Duke status
Dec 20, 2002
RatBeach
Jeeezzzuss Krist!I mean does it really matter guys,The girl rips,She gets mad respect in the line up,And she comes from hawaiian royalty.I think shes gonna be just fine.She will probably go on too making more money than she ever dreamed. :cheers: :beer:

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Didn't Holister simply pretend to be a "Core" surf brand? No Contests sponsored, no videos, and no team, just faking it with print and Internet ads. The pie is split so many ways among the real surfwear brands, it hardly mattered. (I don't know anything about it actually, just asking)

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
What about Hurley? Garbage. Ifs something is quality Im down but I dont need garbage with a surf culture related marketing plan.

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
Jeeezzzuss Krist!I mean does it really matter guys,The girl rips,She gets mad respect in the line up,And she comes from hawaiian royalty.I think shes gonna be just fine.She will probably go on too making more money than she ever dreamed. :cheers: :beer:
She barely posts surf content anymore. Of course they weren’t going to renew a lucrative contract. What she doesn’t understand is the market dictates her salary offers. If she were moving product sales that much, she’d have multiple competing offers from Vans, Roxy, etc. She chose to go the “Hollywood” route hanging out with Bieber and co. Whether that helps her long term surf industry career is unclear. Not sure how a fading star longboarder can generate revenue for a company in this day and age. She can do well as an individual IG influencer, but that’s a difficult hustle for anyone.

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
wait, so what do we think the contract value was?

it's weird, b/c i'm pretty willing to bet it's less than Dane R's epic one was - yet the Roxy Gals probably drove more biz than any dude other than maybe slater
Are you kidding me? Dane moved product. Using CI as an example, his dumpster diver and neckbeard models were two of the best selling boards of all time. Sure, collectively the Roxy girls moved product for a mainstream audience, sorta, but you’d be hard pressed to find ONE individual Roxy girl name who generated as much buzz and attention as Dane did in the heyday.

Last edited:

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
How many units, revenue and profit are we talking here VS how many units of Roxy clothes and the revenue and profit that stuff generates. Just keeping it real. Its probably a mole hill next to a mountain.
Name one Roxy girl who individually moved more product or generated more hype in Dane’s era than Dane.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Name one Roxy girl who individually moved more product or generated more hype in Dane’s era than Dane.
hype doesnt sell clothes. girls all over the world buying Roxy wether they care about surfing or no. it became just another brand for girls like Guess or whatever.

surfer dude hyped on dane isnt running out an buying trunks just cuz hes wearing them.

Reactions: sozzle

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
How many units, revenue and profit are we talking here VS how many units of Roxy clothes and the revenue and profit that stuff generates. Just keeping it real. Its probably a mole hill next to a mountain.

i actually agree with gromsdad on sometihng here.
Only surfers buy surfboards, everyone buys clothes.

Reactions: menobrah

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
hype doesnt sell clothes. girls all over the world buying Roxy wether they care about surfing or no. it became just another brand for girls like Guess or whatever.

surfer dude hyped on dane isnt running out an buying trunks just cuz hes wearing them.
You didn’t answer my question. Name ONE Roxy girl who moved more product sales than Dane. Like I said earlier, collectively the “Roxy girls” drove more sales than Dane, but that’s like 10+ girls on their payroll. That’s not the debate. We are comparing individual salaries and what the market was demanding at the time. You’re ignoring all the ads and posters Quik plastered of Dane everywhere in mags and stores. I didn’t see any one Roxy girl so heavily promoted during that era, nor did I see any contract bidding wars for one Roxy athlete anywhere near the level for Dane at the time. The market proves the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeride76 and PRCD

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
It’s weird with promotions. This past summer HIC and IPD did movie night every two weeks. Set up a screen showed a classic movie and gave away a sh*t load of free prizes.. I went to a handful to help breakdown and clean up. Each one had between 50-100 people.

The last one Florence joined in and they showed a rough draft of a JJF video that hadn’t been released. They also ran a few grills and gave away hotdogs, hamburgers and prizes. Parking lot was full. Was it the John clip, the free food , the end of summer or just Florence being associated with the event.

Then a few weeks ago HIC and Florence had an event to celebrate a mini Florence store in HIC. Free food and family friendly drinks and John came and signed autographs. Twice as big a crowd with a big portion rocking Florence gear.

Must’ve been John.

A few friends including my sister worked at Boardriders here. Quik’s retail stores. They all said Dane moved more merch than Kelly but Roxy saved the brand.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Her favorite thing these days seems to be football jerseys and urban apparel and clothing companies other than Roxy.

TBH I'm surprised she was offered a contract at all.