Wednesday
low bar back squat 3 sets x 5 (pronounced "FAHVE") reps
Bench: 3 sets x 5 (pronounced "FAHVE") reps
DL: 1 set of 5RM

Friday:
low bar back squat 3 sets x 5 (pronounced "FAHVE") reps
Press: 3 sets x 5 (pronounced "FAHVE") reps
chin-ups: 3 sets to failure until you get strong enough to do 3 x 5 weighted

I must warn you ahead of time that getting big and strong makes you "right wing." Also quit running and cycling. If you must do cardio, take up smoking.
PRCD knows more about the science of lifting for sure. But in my own experience, as a lifting newb, who was also trying to juggle surfing and cardio and the gym… I found higher reps and lower weights *in the beginning* to be beneficial.

reason being: I was still figuring out form, so it felt safer with less weight. Plus, it felt less taxing on my joints when I was already tired from a surf or whatever.

Reactions: tacos and Mr J

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
PRCD knows more about the science of lifting for sure. But in my own experience, as a lifting newb, who was also trying to juggle surfing and cardio and the gym… I found higher reps and lower weights *in the beginning* to be beneficial.

reason being: I was still figuring out form, so it felt safer with less weight. Plus, it felt less taxing on my joints when I was already tired from a surf or whatever.
run LP. u start low weight and low reps. it ramps up fast tho.

caca, if u haven't done so, get the blue starting strength book and run LP. easiest program to follow.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
What's a weights workout look like for someone who surfs 3 days a week and has to do weights and cardio on the same days as surf?
I'm not doing any cardio and I'm surfing more like 4 days a week, 2 sessions per day. I'm doing some form of resistance training just about every day and not all of that is using weights. So I can't answer your question specifically, but I can give you an idea of my routine which does not make me sore or interfere with my surfing.

The answer is simply to not overdo the strength training and to do it frequently so the body adjusts. No more than 2 sets of anything, but those 2 sets are done twice a day. Elastic exercises are 20 reps. Dumbbell exercises are 16 to 20 reps. The exception is the day I do legs, still 2 sets twice a day, but down to about 8 reps for dumbbell squats and dumbbell jefferson curls (I'm doing them about 3 times a week). I'm not lifting much for the squats although I am squatting right down until my butt is a few inches off the floor and rocking forward a little while squatted down to get a good pelvic stretch. I don't think jefferson curls should be done heavy, they used to give me sore hamstrings, but not anymore. I'm doing some bodyweight and exercise ball stuff too.

I'm at a comfortable plateau with most things, not forever trying to forever get those numbers up like the bodybuilders and weightlifters. The high rep twice a day every other day (or more) approach does work. My physio has been measuring my shoulder strength in various planes with a tension gauge - a strap goes around my wrist or upper arm depending on the test. My left shoulder which had nerve damage (now recovered) got up to about 100 Newtons force then plateaued for an outward rotation (test of infraspinatus and teres minor rotators, but complete isolation of muscles is impossible so it does involve say the delts and supraspinatus too), the physio wanted me to get up to 120 ideally. So a dumbbell exercise was added and I tested 135 a couple of weeks ago - he said thats good for my age. A lot of my resistance training is specific to keeping my shoulders well.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
btw, i have been practicing handstands and that def'ly translates into paddling. similar to an overhead press but with your bodyweight. lotta fun.
I used to do this

Then my cardiologist, who by the way is Indian American, advised against it because of this

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What's a weights workout look like for someone who surfs 3 days a week and has to do weights and cardio on the same days as surf?
I would just warm up and do one work set:

Hang cleans
Rack pull dead lift
Military press

I would get micro plates too and keep adding small amount of weight

None of that will compromise the surfing.

I used to lift too hard, like a body builder, and it messed up my surfing.

Reactions: One-Off

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Over head pressess and bar bell holds really loosen up my shoulders for paddling
Everyone is different. Overhead presses have been dropped from my prescribed shoulder routine. When I was prescribed them by my physiotherapist they were to be done with dumbbells really light (1.5kg), the emphasis was to learn to lift the lateral end of my collarbone upwards and keep shoulders back to avoid impinging and wearing out the supraspinatus.

Regarding the description I posted of my strength routine, it might sound like it occupies a ridiculous amount of my life, but its not as much as might sound. The only days I do the full twice a day is on the days I don't surf (about 3 days a week). As an example today is a sunday and its also a surfing day. So I'm going to do 2 sets of dumbbell shoulder shrugs and inward/outward elastic rotations for one session and that's it. I'm also sort of circuit training. Rather than wait around in between the two sets I move on to another exercise, because its all fairly light its not exhausting. The heaviest/hardest upper body exercise I do is bent dumbell rows. My physio prescribed one day do the bent rows, alternate days do elastic outward rotations, so the bent row day is my day off surfing. I thought dumbbell rows were going to interfere with my paddling and make me too sore, but they don't seem to. As for the elastic exercises they are aimed at rotator cuff muscles which aren't the primary power source of paddling power. So now I got them trained up there is no interference with paddling. Having said that I do sometimes get random sore spots and muscle knots for no obvious reason related to a particular exercise.

The two sets twice a day is the recipe from my physiotherapist. The circuit training approach is my own idea, rather than prescribed, so should be seen as a this is what I do rather than I know what I am doing. I do it because it reduces the time to get thru all the exercises.

Reactions: Autoprax

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF

Disclaimer: I’m not strong, nor do I know anything.

But… in my humble and weak opinion… it probably doesn’t matter, depending on your goals. I’m also trying to juggle cardio and surfing, and for me just getting to lift is good enough in the end. If you’re chasing numbers to be able to flex on the erBB, then yes, of course, a strict proper template matters more.

And FWIW, the two internet lifting personalities/groups I follow most—Barbell Medicine crew (Austin Baraki and Jordan Feigenbaum) and Alan Thrall— have mostly abandoned Starting Strength (aka the aforementioned Blue Book).

I don’t have time or access (or interest) to follow a template/regimen, but I mostly follow little tidbits I read from Austin Baraki on Instagram—to (probably unsuccessfully) paraphrase and regurgitate:
- in general, don’t get attached to what number you’re “supposed” to hit for a day, how you feel each day will fluctuate (partially based on sleep, stress, diet), it’s most important to just be consistently lifting.
-I noticed Austin Baraki would mention his lifting routines would be work up to a heavy (but do-able) single for the day, and then back off anywhere from like 75-85% of that day’s single, and then do 5 sets of 4 reps. I also noticed he would randomly throw in some sets of 10 or whatever, just for variety.
-For what it’s worth, I loosely followed that regimen from the last bullet point and was able to work up to a double body weight deadlift, which for me was an ego lifting goal (granted, around here that weight is considered “baby” weight). I just took what my body was willing to give me each day, stayed consistent, and the weight increased overtime. I wasn’t focused like “my top set should be ____ lbs today”, I just saw how I felt warming up, added weight to what I thought I could reasonably do for a heavy single, and then depending on how I felt did the volume work of 4 reps x 5 sets (around 75% of the single if I was feeling weak, or 85% if I was feeling good for the day). And before I knew it, one day I kinda decided I felt good enough to try for 2x bodyweight and hit it.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness rambling. Just another perspective, in case you feel like you have to follow some strict template/regimen or else you shouldn’t bother lifting. I think VonMeister works with Austin Baraki if I remember correctly? And can probably correct me or add better input.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

But… in my humble and weak opinion… it probably doesn’t matter, depending on your goals. I’m also trying to juggle cardio and surfing, and for me just getting to lift is good enough in the end. If you’re chasing numbers to be able to flex on the erBB, then yes, of course, a strict proper template matters more.

And FWIW, the two internet lifting personalities/groups I follow most—Barbell Medicine crew (Austin Baraki and Jordan Feigenbaum) and Alan Thrall— have mostly abandoned Starting Strength (aka the aforementioned Blue Book).

I don’t have time or access (or interest) to follow a template/regimen, but I mostly follow little tidbits I read from Austin Baraki on Instagram—to (probably unsuccessfully) paraphrase and regurgitate:
- in general, don’t get attached to what number you’re “supposed” to hit for a day, how you feel each day will fluctuate (partially based on sleep, stress, diet), it’s most important to just be consistently lifting.
-I noticed Austin Baraki would mention his lifting routines would be work up to a heavy (but do-able) single for the day, and then back off anywhere from like 75-85% of that day’s single, and then do 5 sets of 4 reps. I also noticed he would randomly throw in some sets of 10 or whatever, just for variety.
-For what it’s worth, I loosely followed that regimen from the last bullet point and was able to work up to a double body weight deadlift, which for me was an ego lifting goal (granted, around here that weight is considered “baby” weight). I just took what my body was willing to give me each day, stayed consistent, and the weight increased overtime. I wasn’t focused like “my top set should be ____ lbs today”, I just saw how I felt warming up, added weight to what I thought I could reasonably do for a heavy single, and then depending on how I felt did the volume work of 4 reps x 5 sets (around 75% of the single if I was feeling weak, or 85% if I was feeling good for the day). And before I knew it, one day I kinda decided I felt good enough to try for 2x bodyweight and hit it.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness rambling. Just another perspective, in case you feel like you have to follow some strict template/regimen or else you shouldn’t bother lifting. I think VonMeister works with Austin Baraki if I remember correctly? And can probably correct me or add better input.
I poasted Alan Thrall's apostasy from Starting Strength earlier. Really, Starting Strength is exactly what it says it is - a beginner linear progression that helps you learn the lifts by doing them a lot, work hard by adding weight to the bar each time, and get stronger up to a point. It's not a template for the rest of your life (far from it). You'd be amazed how few people in the gym learn the basic lessons you get from SS, to wit, progressive overload.

I poasted that for @casa_mugrienta because he doesn't know anything about weightlifting, wants to get stronger rather than bigger, and needs to learn how to add weight to the bar.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
I poasted Alan Thrall's apostasy from Starting Strength earlier. Really, Starting Strength is exactly what it says it is - a beginner linear progression that helps you learn the lifts by doing them a lot, work hard by adding weight to the bar each time, and get stronger up to a point. It's not a template for the rest of your life (far from it). You'd be amazed how few people in the gym learn the basic lessons you get from SS, to wit, progressive overload.

I poasted that for @casa_mugrienta because he doesn't know anything about weightlifting, wants to get stronger rather than bigger, and needs to learn how to add weight to the bar.
Fair point and you’re right. Had some bias coming through in my post, I find Rippetoe to be a little dogmatic. Although I do have the book and did loosely follow LP (although never did the “program’).

Reactions: PRCD

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So figured it best to start squats without a bar.

So I've been doing without weight no problem. Video'd my self and looked perfect, also holding light weights (10-20lbs) too held out in front of me.

That was a good idea.

I tried a broomstick instead of a bar - I can barely get my hands back to grip the bar - it's like my shoulders wont allow my hands to reach that far back and all form goes out the window. Woulda been a disaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: slipped_disc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

So I've been doing without weight no problem. Video'd my self and looked perfect, also holding light weights (10-20lbs) too held out in front of me.

That was a good idea.

I tried a broomstick instead of a bar - I can barely get my hands back to grip the bar - it's like my shoulders wont allow my hands to reach that far back and all form goes out the window. Woulda been a disaster.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

That was a good idea.

I don't want excuses - keep working on that bar position and you'll get it shortly. Let me know if you need low bar squat videos.

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I am wondering if my shoulders are pulled so forward from years of paddling and thus it's a mobility issue?
no - I was a swimmer and am a desk jockey and I can do it. practice racking the bar below the spine of your scapulae and you'll get it shortly. Feels amazing, like you can squat the planet.

just widen your hands a bit if you need to.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

You’re not doing baby weights. Von Meister said 2x body weight deadlift was a baseline. I’m doing toddler weights. My DL is 1.2x body weight 3 sets of ten. Maintenance program. I’ve been doing that for a year now. I heard Dr. Attia (longevity expert) throw out 1x body weight DL, 5 sets of 10 as a baseline. I can do that. My cardiologist warned me not to lift heavy because of the spikes in blood pressure. So I’m not obsessed with continually progressing loading. I don’t enjoy weight lifting.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You’re not doing baby weights. Von Meister said 2x body weight deadlift was a baseline. I’m doing toddler weights. My DL is 1.2x body weight 3 sets of ten. Maintenance program. I’ve been doing that for a year now. I heard Dr. Attia (longevity expert) throw out 1x body weight DL, 5 sets of 10 as a baseline. I can do that. My cardiologist warned me not to lift heavy because of the spikes in blood pressure. So I’m not obsessed with continually progressing loading. I don’t enjoy weight lifting.
I don't think these longevity experts are worth much. Do what you enjoy, try not to get fat.

What is your concern here?

Reactions: tacos

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Most people can't dead lift 2x their body weight.

Reactions: tacos and Havoc