5 Guys

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
my goto for a burger is medium. you'll end up with medium well or medium rare 95% of the time.

also, a gourmet burger is like paying for a $15 latte. get that chit out of here. the only gourmet burgers i want are served as finger food appetizers at catered parties.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I find with burgers you have to order one step more cooked than what you actually want because they tend to be undercooked.

With steak it's the opposite if it's from a place that doesn't know what they're doing (in which case you shouldn't be ordering a steak from them, but I digress).
I've had the opposite experience. A pet peeve of mine is a "burger joint" that bothers to ask, but knows they are going to hand you a well done hockey puck.

re: Shake Shack: I've had it twice in NYC and I was satisfied. Having it in CA, or anywhere outside of NYC is a no go for me.

Minetta @Subway : I've been trying to get in there on the last 2 trips, but always neglect to grab a reservation ahead of time. A couple CA transplants I know that are quite surfy from the hometown spend a lot of time/live in NYC now and that's one of their stand bys. Plus, I love the Village. Come to think of it, they do some visual ad work. Not sure if you all would benefit from connecting or not. But let me know if you are curious.
Another friend said that the kinda "divey" burger joint in the Thompson Hotel on 56th is good if one finds themselves in the right mood near Central Park.

As a young man, The Rooster Burger at the Red Rooster in Oceanside was a favorite. I don't know how they transformed a frozen Costco patty into something legendary, but the 12x12 grill behind the bar did something special. The whole green chile on top just brought it all together. $11 for a pitcher of beer and a burger when I lived nearby. I'm sure that's not the case any longer.

There is a spot here that became known as the $20 dollar burger spot her in SF before that became the going rate. I was alright with their version and it was a reasonable walk from my house at the time. Like an upscale In n Out. They didn't have ketchup for a long time which bugged me. Now they have that Kensington's stuff, which I've reluctantly adapted to. But I've never gone back since I moved across town. I still refuse to eat at Sam's (made famous by Bourdain) if I'm sober. I don't want to ruin my memories of it.

Patty melts are cool. The grilled onions always SOUND good, but the rye bread always tears the roof of my mouth apart.
I hear you all on the brioche blasphemy to a point. But it's AWFUL when a burger bun is not tender enough and each bite blows the burger contents out the back/sides of the bun.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Minetta is somewhat small- it's not impossible to get a reservation, but you almost always need one for sure

Some places in NYC are more hype than substance. This is not the case at Minetta. It's a fantastic meal, every time

And for the record, I just posted those fancy burger photos for the fun of it. I rarely order burgers when i go to one of those high end places. I've HAD the DB burger, Gotham's, and the Minetta burger, and they are very good. But there are always more intriguing and unique items on the menu. I want to eat weird stuff at a fancy joint

Reactions: sdsrfr

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I'd hit that too

And before i get cancelled for being too bougie, let it be known I'm eating chicken nuggets for dinner

I mean, they're Bell and Evans, but, they're still chicken nuggets :)

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don't rate 5 Guys at all and this might be the fifth 5 Guys thread we've had on the erBB.
If it's going to be a fast food burger I'd rather get McDs or Burglar King or whatever. But since I went into a McDs after Covid and it took 20 minutes to get my food while delivery people were picking up shitloads for people who like cold McDonald's I wrote up a fatwah declaring my jihad upon them. I'd rather go a local burger place by the Pier on A1A, or any decent bar like ifallalot said.

Other notes:

* Stuffed burgers are hambominations, not hamburgers. The Chicago/Detroit style pizza of burgers.
* Agree with ordering at or one notch rarer than what you want
* Fuck any hockey puck patty that costs more than McDs.
* Hot fresh simple fucking fries. Idaho Gold or Sweet also acceptable. Fuck your curly fries, fuck your seasoned fries, etc.

I had a dank Mushroom Truffle add bacon last Wednesday. sh!t was cash in terms of quality and expense.

• Love
Reactions: brukuns

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
there are several Peruvian places in the city that serve it. I'd give it a shot

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I've had the opposite experience. A pet peeve of mine is a "burger joint" that bothers to ask, but knows they are going to hand you a well done hockey puck.
I could see that being true at a "burger joint" that is cooking thin patties. There really is no way you are getting medium rare in that situation. Whereas if it is a proper restaurant or bar burger with a proper 6 oz patty that's where I've found they are more likely to undercook it.

Patty melts are cool. The grilled onions always SOUND good, but the rye bread always tears the roof of my mouth apart.
Get a patty melt with sliced pickles and dip it in ranch dressing . . . So good :beer: