Slater Designs Great White Twin

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
is the board you’re getting going to run fcs fins?

I have a set of two tab hex core AMTs that I’ll send to you if you can use them. Let me know, I’ll dig around for the trailer. It’s old school fiber glass with carbon strips.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
is the board you’re getting going to run fcs fins?

I have a set of two tab hex core AMTs that I’ll send to you if you can use them. Let me know, I’ll dig around for the trailer. It’s old school fiber glass with carbon strips.
Thanks for the offer. Firewire has switched to Futures for all boards now, so the GWT will be futures. I have the Wassabi FCS to Futures adapters so I could probably run those twins in the adapters.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
@Hazrus is correct - it's been 1ft for weeks, with the exception of one day when it jumped up a touch.

Cyclone incoming, but it looks like it's just going to be a disgusting mess, then back down to 1ft again :(. I'm waiting on Freeride's forecast due later today to work out if I'm going to toss the dice and try a fickle spot further north.

1701816986918.png

• Sad
  • Dislike
Reactions: jkb and ReForest

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
The foils look similar, and easy to ride, though the rails on the FE look a little more pinched and the wide point is behind center. I don't know sh!t obviously but would guess that the Great White Twin is generally more stable and therefore easier to surf.

View attachment 167670
When I'm ghosting files, two together, in AKU, I look at the dims of the two first before I load them. Here I'm assuming both are the same length since that is the way they appear. These are the set in concrete FW dims of the two in 5'10, only real FW friends get to change dims but nobody cares, so 5'10 x 20 x 2 3/4 x 33. 4 L and 5'10 x 19 15/16 x 2 1/2 x 2 5/8 x 32. 0 L. Which one is the big fish? They are different concepts so we could work with that, no biggie. Curious though why does one product page give more credit to Kelly while the other gave it to the shaper? Back to ghosting, if we were comparing the actual outlines of 5'10 files, the width difference at widest would be hard to see since only 1/16. So, the provided diagram isn't two 5'10s. With two 5'10 files we'd have a more accurate comparison for widths and rockers. If we wanted to match volumes, like many do, then one would need to be the 5'9 x 19 3/4 x 2 11/16 x 31.8 L. In doing so, lining up boards by end point, you would see the gap between the end of the noses and those differences in outline. From the side you would see the rocker differences.

Using that information, you can make inferences on how same length might perform or how same volume might perform, expected feelings between the two, maybe how they might be ridden differently to get the most out of them or decide that's not how you like or want to surf. For a customer I run all by Robert since he's a slow typer or get them to chat on the phone. Then adjustments can be made if wanted for desired effect if within the design.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
@waxfoot - - Noosa inside points the only option I guess?
I don't surf there anymore - never been so terrified in a lineup as Noosa. 4 foot, no sweep, elbow to elbow with every cnt under the sun.

I usually go a little further north- I'm old fashioned and just cant name a spot, even though its been blown out for many years and there's an article on Swellnet about its sand :D

As Freeride said though, its not going to work I dont think.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I don't surf there anymore - never been so terrified in a lineup as Noosa. 4 foot, no sweep, elbow to elbow with every cnt under the sun.

I usually go a little further north- I'm old fashioned and just cant name a spot, even though its been blown out for many years and there's an article on Swellnet about its sand :D

As Freeride said though, its not going to work I dont think.
I thought you may be talking about way further North. Old mate has company today as the swell starts to meander South.
Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 11.13.23 am.png

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Someone ride the damn board! I need to hear how this freakin board goes!

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Get a jet ski and a tow rope. Film it too. I need to see the Hydrodynamic lift and turnability of this great white shark! :LOL: :shaka: