*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
I am predominately a skier, but from my experience in the BC splitboard is the clear winner. My friends with splitboards seem to ride them just fine on them compared to their inbound setups, and since you will be spending significantly more time climbing than riding the weight savings is a major consideration. I generally don't tour with people I don't know, but when someone new who is a snowboarder says they want to join and have snowshoes I always change the conversation as quick as possible! IMHO I lump approach skis in the same snowshoe no go bucket.

Enjoy Avy 1 it should hopefully scare you enough to stay safe! Nuking snow in the Wasatch this afternoon hopefully the beginnings of another deep season...

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
My old thirty two boots lasted me a decade. I loved those things. But after seeing all the non-lace designs now, I got envious. Are laces still a thing?
I swore by 32 back in the 2000's and early 2010's and each time I got a new pair they took a bit to break in but once they did they felt amazing and lasted forever. I've been riding Burtons the past bunch of years now and they've been great as well. Fairly easy break in period and super comfortable.
I was a die hard lace guy until I got a pair with the fast lace system a few seasons ago. I'm not sure I can go back now.
There's a lot of great looking boots out there these days.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I swore by 32 back in the 2000's and early 2010's and each time I got a new pair they took a bit to break in but once they did they felt amazing and lasted forever. I've been riding Burtons the past bunch of years now and they've been great as well. Fairly easy break in period and super comfortable.
I was a die hard lace guy until I got a pair with the fast lace system a few seasons ago. I'm not sure I can go back now.
There's a lot of great looking boots out there these days.
The Burton Fast Lace is solid. Easy on/off and comfy.

Reactions: bruhdakine

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I am predominately a skier, but from my experience in the BC splitboard is the clear winner. My friends with splitboards seem to ride them just fine on them compared to their inbound setups, and since you will be spending significantly more time climbing than riding the weight savings is a major consideration. I generally don't tour with people I don't know, but when someone new who is a snowboarder says they want to join and have snowshoes I always change the conversation as quick as possible! IMHO I lump approach skis in the same snowshoe no go bucket.

Enjoy Avy 1 it should hopefully scare you enough to stay safe! Nuking snow in the Wasatch this afternoon hopefully the beginnings of another deep season...
Bro all the cool kids ride their splitboards inbounds to show everyone how bc they are.

• Haha
Reactions: crustBrother

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
What IS with the plethora of backpacks on the mountain? Bulky too.

Snacks go in pockets. Lunch goes in the car. You don't need THAT much weed. I don't think there's a kegerator in there... :unsure:

What could they be carrying?

Dynamite and/or a parachute would be impressive but I have my doubts.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
What IS with the plethora of backpacks on the mountain? Bulky too.

Snacks go in pockets. Lunch goes in the car. You don't need THAT much weed. I don't think there's a kegerator in there... :unsure:

What could they be carrying?

Dynamite and/or a parachute would be impressive but I have my doubts.
Personally, I hate having anything in my pockets when riding so I rock an 18L pack. Depending on the day, there can be anything in there from spare goggles, small essentials, collapsible plastic water bottles and a warm vest to the full inbounds slackcountry avy kit.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
JFC just to snowboard?

Trimmed down wallet, phone, car fob, couple other minor sundries, not even close to filling a pair of jean pockets.

That being said, you still want a lot of pockets so you can spread stuff around and not everything fall out on the lift or something by accident.

Pack of any kind feels like compromising your weight balance unnecessarily.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
JFC just to snowboard?

Trimmed down wallet, phone, car fob, couple other minor sundries, not even close to filling a pair of jean pockets.

That being said, you still want a lot of pockets so you can spread stuff around and not everything fall out on the lift or something by accident.

Pack of any kind feels like compromising your weight balance unnecessarily.
Imo might as well get used to riding with one when danger is your business on deep pow days bc on those days I’m packing the appropriate safety gear for the terrain I ride and tbh I no longer notice I have it on even when full

Beacon goes in the pants pocket every day.
Shovel/pro ho and probes in the pack along with the standard loadout
2 x collapse plastic water bottles bc dehydration
glove liners bc cold hands suck
spare goggles with alternate lens color for the day
chapstick
sunscreen stick
spare contact lenses, lens drops,
sunglasses bc they make you look cooler along with protecting your corneas from melting
beanie and baseball cap bc sun and or cold when when not wearing helmet

And again further argument for packing avy gear or at least a beacon when its steep and deep.

• Haha

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
JFC just to snowboard?
the hill I ski has terrain that warrants avy gear so hard yes for my kids but I don't ski that part of the hill and my lunch fits in my pockets so no backpack for me

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
OK Crested Butte I guess I can see due to backcountry access but packing avy gear so you can ski Stump Alley at Mammoth or, heaven help us, traverse from Scotty's to the bottom of Cornice?

Hmm.

I am leaning towards the vast majority (98%+) doing it for fashion. :socrazy:

Caveat that I have ran into someone who was carrying a one-foot acrylic bong, gang of weed, and a 12 pack of beer. Acceptable usage of backpack. Although skiers could poleplant even more effectively with a sixer in each hand - really open those shoulders and initiate that turn - not to mention quiet upper body to prevent carbonation explosion.

• Haha
Reactions: crustBrother

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
OK Crested Butte I guess I can see due to backcountry access but packing avy gear so you can ski Stump Alley at Mammoth or, heaven help us, traverse from Scotty's to the bottom of Cornice?

Hmm.

I am leaning towards the vast majority (98%+) doing it for fashion. :socrazy:

Caveat that I have ran into someone who was carrying a one-foot acrylic bong, gang of weed, and a 12 pack of beer. Acceptable usage of backpack. Although skiers could poleplant even more effectively with a sixer in each hand - really open those shoulders and initiate that turn - not to mention quiet upper body to prevent carbonation explosion.

• Haha

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I don't understand how laces could fine tune more than boa. that's crazy
I agree in theory
But last year switched from double boa to the quick lace things
Personally they worked better than the boas for me.
Losing a few hours for broken wires at heavenly and then a couple of years later snowbird kind of sucked too

I forget what they call them but I’m loving the laces that snap in

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I agree in theory
But last year switched from double boa to the quick lace things
Personally they worked better than the boas for me.
Losing a few hours for broken wires at heavenly and then a couple of years later snowbird kind of sucked too

I forget what they call them but I’m loving the laces that snap in
Thats why I’m not getting rid of my old all lace boots and didn’t want dbl boa for the new ones. It also reminds me that I forgot to add another item to the list of what’s in Felix’s bag of tricks, a few of these big enough to temp fix boots and bindings, mine or just as or even more likely someone else’s, just not @Kento you’re walking down bitch
1701615145881.jpeg

Last edited: