*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Big sale this weekend and am in market for new snowboard, something that I plan on using for a few seasons. I've been riding an old 163 Gnu Carbon Series for last decade+, suspect it has lost a lot of pop in it, serviceable board to be sure but I have no faith in its ability to handle and properly bleed speed - there is a lot of chatter.

Time of the season. :jamon:
I love my gnu. Would def bang again. Going with my son in Dec. Which means more park. Which means SBD skeered. SBD Gonna hurt

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
Season fast approaching - would be nice if snowfall would too but if memory serves, the norm is for things to start kicking up the day after New Years, as holiday peak ends. Definitely getting hyped regardless.

Big sale this weekend and am in market for new snowboard, something that I plan on using for a few seasons. I've been riding an old 163 Gnu Carbon Series for last decade+, suspect it has lost a lot of pop in it, serviceable board to be sure but I have no faith in its ability to handle and properly bleed speed - there is a lot of chatter.

Generally riding steeper terrain, maybe 5-15% park (may increase as kids get better and I will need to maintain dominance as long as I can cling to it), switch is a stoned diversion percentage (large range come to think of it), moguls maybe 5% so the quick rail to rail isn't a gigantic necessity although some wiggliness for going through tight trees is needed. I don't ride anywhere near pro-level fast but I ride fast. Primarily want a board that can chop through powder/crud, hold long fast arcing turns, and still feel light under my feet, working in all conditions.

Reading reviews, one of the boards I keep coming back to is the 2024 Capita BSOD. Am 6'4 190 w/size 12s, thinking the 161w. Anyone tried this one out or have any suggestions/comments re: other boards that work towards what I'm generally looking for?

Thanks.

Warm pants and goggles are other needs. Find a good pair of Smiths for the latter. Pants I think I have to just check out at store to see what truly works while not breaking bank (the board is going to do that)

Time of the season. :jamon:
A couple of boards that might meet that criteria:

Salomon Super 8 — Josh Dirksen designed board. Pretty sure he won Mt Baker Banked Slalom on one so you know it’s fast.

Seasons Equipment Nexus — Newish company from Austin Smith. Boards are all black which is kinda cool. Graphics age boards faster (psychologically) for me. Plus, his promo video for the board is my dream resort day.

Lib Tech Dynamo — Austen Sweetin pro model. Seems really versatile.

Reactions: bruhdakine

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
This will be my board for everything you mentioned minus park until I die or they don’t make it anymore which ever comes first. I tried to see how fast it/I could go on groomers and I couldn’t bc I got scared before I reached its top end. It totally destroys choppy snow, I mean completely obliterating/more or less ignoring it. Theyre also indestructible. Many many times something happened on the mtn with wood rock or pointy ice where I said this is gonna fuck my base or edges up and the result was nothing. Finally it is a pow slayer.

Smith Squads are where it’s at for performance/value imo and I rock xls bc of the dome. If I was gonna go with one pair and switch lenses, smoke and **** yellow.

Cannot say enough good things about Mtn Hardwear ware? insulated Gore Tex pants as well and they’re frequently on sale
Thanks - checking that out. Doesn't look like my local shop carries Amplids but seeing is believing. From review, sounds like a pretty decent board. I hardly ever jib at all but I do want something I can also throw around in halfpipe/park with relative ease...

Like the sound of those Squads. Keeping that pricepoint under $120 would be nice.

Mtn Hardwares are $300 so that might be tough even on sale. Look like good pants. Sounds funny but pocket quantity, depth, and course interior fabric are major factors. Just gotta check out at shop I think.

Salomon Super 8 — Josh Dirksen designed board. Pretty sure he won Mt Baker Banked Slalom on one so you know it’s fast.

Seasons Equipment Nexus — Newish company from Austin Smith. Boards are all black which is kinda cool. Graphics age boards faster (psychologically) for me. Plus, his promo video for the board is my dream resort day.

Thanks - will check those out. :shaka:

Reactions: slipped_disc

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Thanks - checking that out. Doesn't look like my local shop carries Amplids but seeing is believing. From review, sounds like a pretty decent board. I hardly ever jib at all but I do want something I can also throw around in halfpipe/park with relative ease...

Like the sound of those Squads. Keeping that pricepoint under $120 would be nice.

Mtn Hardwares are $300 so that might be tough even on sale. Look like good pants. Sounds funny but pocket quantity, depth, and course interior fabric are major factors. Just gotta check out at shop I think.

Thanks - will check those out. :shaka:
If you dont want to pay new price, and have an idea of what you want, check ebay for used snow pants. Lots of times people wear snow gear for just a few days. For pants, I prefer bibs to keep out snow on big falls. I've had good luck with Burton AK, and Patagooch.
Been stocked with Smith Vantage helmet and goggles I got last year.
Was really impressed with the Jones Frontier as an all-mountain boar. Kinda makes me wanna try the Stratos I was eyeing, which seems just a bit more souped-up.
Only bad 2023 purchase was the 32 Lashed boots. Super comfy and soft, but I just need something stiffer for more boar response. I would've liked these 10-20 years ago when I was in the parks more. Any suggestions for a stiffer boot (with double BOA closure rather than laces)? I tried on some Burtons at the shop last spring but didn't like the way their L-insert rubbed my ankle bone.

@silentbutdeadly For extra padding vs. the park, I have been wearing the padded shorts for years. Discrete and definitely helps when I fall on my bony ass or hips. I think Burton x G-Form makes the best one

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
This will be my board for everything you mentioned minus park until I die or they don’t make it anymore which ever comes first. I tried to see how fast it/I could go on groomers and I couldn’t bc I got scared before I reached its top end. It totally destroys choppy snow, I mean completely obliterating/more or less ignoring it. Theyre also indestructible. Many many times something happened on the mtn with wood rock or pointy ice where I said this is gonna fuck my base or edges up and the result was nothing. Finally it is a pow slayer.

Smith Squads are where it’s at for performance/value imo and I rock xls bc of the dome. If I was gonna go with one pair and switch lenses, smoke and **** yellow.

Cannot say enough good things about Mtn Hardwear ware? insulated Gore Tex pants as well and they’re frequently on sale
Stoked to read this. I picked up an Amplid Big Kahuna for this season.

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Kento, you know this is what you need. It's even aptly named! :ROFLMAO:

Airblaster Kook Suit

View attachment 167643
"Picture yourself effortlessly carving the slopes in what can only be described as adult-sized, storm-sealed sweatpants perfection, aka the Airblaster Kook Suit. Equipped with 15K mm waterproofing, 10K breathability, and a host of clever features, from the 350° hip zip for seamless pit stops to YKK zippers throughout, this suit is the epitome of function, fashion, and full kook all rolled into one."

The call is strong. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW

You should probably just move to Bend or Glacier already. :shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: slipped_disc

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I just got one of these to add to the quiver in a 168. It won't be my daily driver but for groomer days where going fast and laying down big carves is the call it'll be all time. It's a camber beast with zero taper but at that size it's gonna float through pow too. Can't wait!

95 Kelly.PNG

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
If you dont want to pay new price, and have an idea of what you want, check ebay for used snow pants. Lots of times people wear snow gear for just a few days. For pants, I prefer bibs to keep out snow on big falls. I've had good luck with Burton AK, and Patagooch.
Been stocked with Smith Vantage helmet and goggles I got last year.
Was really impressed with the Jones Frontier as an all-mountain boar. Kinda makes me wanna try the Stratos I was eyeing, which seems just a bit more souped-up.
Only bad 2023 purchase was the 32 Lashed boots. Super comfy and soft, but I just need something stiffer for more boar response. I would've liked these 10-20 years ago when I was in the parks more. Any suggestions for a stiffer boot (with double BOA closure rather than laces)? I tried on some Burtons at the shop last spring but didn't like the way their L-insert rubbed my ankle bone.

@silentbutdeadly For extra padding vs. the park, I have been wearing the padded shorts for years. Discrete and definitely helps when I fall on my bony ass or hips. I think Burton x G-Form makes the best one
I wear all the pads lol and most importantly TRoy Lee Motocross Knee Braces. Smith helmets and goggle rule.

Not dbl boa (lace/boa) but
Scored a pair of K2 Aspects on sale at the end of last season and they are as comfy as they are stiff/responsive. Footbeds are so comfy I haven’t felt the need to use inserts yet. Sized down 1/2 a size from my street shoe size
Dank boots.
1701371839984.png

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I just got one of these to add to the quiver in a 168. It won't be my daily driver but for groomer days where going fast and laying down big carves is the call it'll be all time. It's a camber beast with zero taper but at that size it's gonna float through pow too. Can't wait!

View attachment 167720
That looks fun as hell and a lot like the Never Summer Big Gun. Which I have in a 165 and love.
1701376394813.png

Reactions: bruhdakine

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
What size bores are you all riding for all mountain old person carving? I feel like my 159 is pretty small for what I do.
I'm a big guy a few months from 50 and I typically range between a 159 to 162 depending on the board for all mountain barging. That's enough with the right combination of flex, camber and sidecut / effective edge. I dont really like shorter tailed shapes as I prefer large wide turns and push on my tail a lot. I currently have a couple of 160's (Hometown Hero and Deep Thinker) that are both fun in different conditions (I like the HTH better for groomers) and just got this big dog to see how much fun it will be - It might be a revelation or it might be too much board. We'll see. It only came in '58 and '68 and I think '58 would have been too small. There's so many fun looking boards out there but I'm pretty locked into Burton for the time being.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
That looks fun as hell and a lot like the Never Summer Big Gun. Which I have in a 165 and love.
View attachment 167728
Those shapes do look similar. I bet that NS is super fun for mobing around the mountain.

The one i got is a re-issue of a '95 Craig Kelly. It is my understanding that they tried to stay true to the old shape and built it with modern tech. I still have a '93 171 Kelly Slopestyle that I just pulled out. I'm gonna try and mount it up for a few laps too and see how they compare. A friend also gave my kid a 162 Johan from the early 2000's that looks amazing so I'm hoping to get some laps on it as well.

Reactions: npsp and Kento