The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
The new F-Bomb fusion looks really nice (but pricey). my current f-bomb is super comfy, but I got a previous season's model last year; within 5 sessions i got leak at my bunghole that doesn't feel nice. Also the entry/neck leaks and is a PITA threading the zipper.

Might go back to xcels but heard they went down hill the past few years.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I picked up two Oneill Psycho 1's (3/2 and 4/3) on sale last year as I think they discontinued them...that model has always been the best fit and lasters for me going back 15 years or so. Also have a 5/4/3 Hyperflex that I'm okay with, not super stretchy, but I don't wear it often and a 6/5/4 that I dread wearing once or twice a year (have to almost freakin dislocate my shoulder getting into it as it's a little small).

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Anybody get a Vissla New Seas?
Buddy has both the Vissla X (Japanese made 3/3) and the New Seas 4-3. He's in the Morro Bay zone and says New Seas is alright; kind of heavy, liner is a bit itchy and takes a while to dry. He said it's only a little bit warmer than the 3/3, but the Japanese neoprene one is stretchier, comfier and drys much quicker. The Vissla X is $310 more.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
my 4yr old og psycho1 is miles better than my hyperfreak fire+. New suit fits tighter in the shoulders and significantly less flexible in the arms.

Glad I snagged it for under $200, I don’t expect to wear it much aside from bone chilling mornings and water in the 50s.

think I’m a yammie convert for DD wetsuits.

Reactions: wedge2

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
my 4yr old og psycho1 is miles better than my hyperfreak fire+.
What's the general consensus on the hyperfreak fire? I need a new 4/3 this winter and was debating that vs the reg hyperfreak...

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
What's the general consensus on the hyperfreak fire? I need a new 4/3 this winter and was debating that vs the reg hyperfreak...
I think it’s plenty warm, but the stiffness reminds me of an old quicksilver suit I never wore out bc while warm it was only worn when needed on the coldest days.

I don’t know how it’s considered an improvement from my TB3 psycho1 chest zip. I was disappointed and I got it heavily discounted on sale. Fwiw, it would have been a “last year” model.

Reactions: bird.LA

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Dang. That sucks. I see Ben (the nineplus rep) all around oside and he has such great stuff to say about them. Bummer.
How long ago did you have your experience with the suit?
Couple years ago. I waited too long to order a custom Cyber and was in a pinch so I needed something quick.

The Nineplus looked pretty close to what I was used to. It had Yamamoto rubber and lots of smoothskin but the rubber ended up being the cheapest Yamamoto and stitching/fluid seam welds were shoddy. Wore it once. It leaked so I sold it.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Couple years ago. I waited too long to order a custom Cyber and was in a pinch so I needed something quick.

The Nineplus looked pretty close to what I was used to. It had Yamamoto rubber and lots of smoothskin but the rubber ended up being the cheapest Yamamoto and stitching/fluid seam welds were shoddy. Wore it once. It leaked so I sold it.
field of broken hipster dreams…

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

Good info. Thanks.
PS. What size did you go with? Large? Do you think maybe your ordered too small?

Reactions: jkb

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The new F-Bomb fusion looks really nice (but pricey). my current f-bomb is super comfy, but I got a previous season's model last year; within 5 sessions i got leak at my bunghole that doesn't feel nice. Also the entry/neck leaks and is a PITA threading the zipper.

Might go back to xcels but heard they went down hill the past few years.
If you want to freeze your bunghole shut, get an Xcel. Leaky seams all over, smoothskin detaching on the stomach and the wetsuit material is stiff like old school neoprene.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: jkb and ReForest

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anyone run the ONeill Heat booties? Comparable to Drylocks?
I had a pair with round toe and pair with split toe. The round toe was awesome, I stopped wearing the split toe before they wore out.

clunky booties and the sole pattern is not as good as newer booties, imo. clogs up with wax easily

im now on the no booties with hood regiment. i really hate getting used to booties.