You'll all be riding popouts in the future :) Or starting a GoFundMe.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
When I was young I worked at a shop and often thought the same - even more so with things like leashes. Why are guys always buying leashes?
No idea. I own 3 leashes. I've been using this DaKine leash since 2008 on my daily drivers. That’s around 15 years and 1500 sessions in CA surf. It works just fine.

8E9FB134-D728-44E2-99D3-BAD89F565F79.jpeg

I have another leash I use in bigger waves or at at spots where my board would be toast on the rocks and an 8ft leash I use on a mini gun.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I like to keep my leash quiver tight as well, lol. my last dd leash failed after around 5yrs (velcro).

if I had a leash and bag for every boar id 10x my accessories count.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm not springing for a Burch without trying one and loving it (and lol he doesn't need/want my business based on other's comments), but the vast majority of non step up polys I have golfball pretty badly. Some every popup (Biscuit) some almost every session.

My alt techs just don't give a fuck. Black Dart = 0 fux given. I beat the absolute fuck out of a used Bean Bag and it kinda thought about maybe having an ever so slight depression where my well over 200# feet go. Cabron Warp Baby Buggy is three years old, been to Mainland multiple times, California where it got a baggage donkey ding that suncured in 10 minutes, and friskier pumping sloppy thigh than any poly ever. C4 looked like it had been car-cooked when I bought it. I forgot it in my car and got sick and it baked in direct sunlight for over two days. Could not be phased until I went late a dumping wedge and got completely pile driven and it buckled, and fixed it still feels lighter in hand than a 4/4/4.

IDGAF if my Baby Buggy fades because it sat on the roof of cars, back of trucks, bottom of buses, from Mazatlan to Michoacan and all over Florida.

Last Winter I was going through some things and one flat day fun was riding the local trails. I stepped it up from my old, regularly having problems craigslist hardtail to a new hardtail from the local bike shop. It came to the $2k neighborhood.

I passed the MSF course so now I need to get a new license from the DMV, get some boots/gloves/pants/jacket, and then we're off to get a bike. I've looked around - hilariously, people are asking more for used bikes on cycletrader/craigslist than they are at the dealership. New KTM Duke 200s are listed for $2300 - just a little more than my hardtail.

One foil board takes up as much space as six shortboards. No good way to store that thing.

(just joking hope you enjoy it)

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Yup, plenty of shapers selling loads of units even back then.

It always boggles my mind how many surfboards get made, or have been made.

Seems way more boards get made than there are surfer's surfers.

I have no idea where the hell they all go. Just sitting in someone's garage or storage unit somewhere?
That's exactly where they go. I live in the suburbs and it seems like a quarter of the houses in here have surfboards, almost none of them surf. neighbor has several literally never seen a board leave his garage. they sit in there and rot in the sun until they have to be trashed.

I'm sitting on a ton myself that i'll be skinny enough to ride again one day...

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I like to keep my leash quiver tight as well, lol. my last dd leash failed after around 5yrs (velcro).

if I had a leash and bag for every boar id 10x my accessories count.
I have a bag and leash for each board. And a couple of spare leashes that I don't like but keep anyway :foreheadslap:

Reactions: ReForest

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
It's weird to me that people buy Firewire at it's price point. I fly fish, and basically all of the major rod manufacturers at a premium price point are building in the US with quality componentry. Redington and other budget builders source out of South Korea, and China. Maybe I'd buy a Firewire if they were $400, but a lot of time they're more expensive than Pyzel/CI/Lost.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
It's weird to me that people buy Firewire at it's price point. I fly fish, and basically all of the major rod manufacturers at a premium price point are building in the US with quality componentry. Redington and other budget builders source out of South Korea, and China. Maybe I'd buy a Firewire if they were $400, but a lot of time they're more expensive than Pyzel/CI/Lost.
I don't get it either, how does firewire take so much share while selling a high price high margin product in a competitive market?

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
i feel like most people buy firewire in shops and see all the other locally made "hand" shapes in the racks and see a similar price point. Not saying all Firewire riders are uneducated about surfboards, but probably many are if i had to guess

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Guys, help me out here. I can't decide whether to get a $2000 one-of-a-kind, six month wait time, custom resin tinted asym with fins designed for the board from the most sought after surfer/shaper who lives in one of the most expensive parts of the country, Ryan Burch...

...or a Torq.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Guys, help me out here. I can't decide whether to get a $2000 one-of-a-kind, six month wait time, custom resin tinted asym with fins designed for the board from the most sought after surfer/shaper who lives in one of the most expensive parts of the country, Ryan Burch...

...or a Torq.
If you're still working on your popup and catching green waves torq. If you're further along, you're probably ready for the Burch.

• Love
Reactions: Hazrus

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
i feel like most people buy firewire in shops and see all the other locally made "hand" shapes in the racks and see a similar price point. Not saying all Firewire riders are uneducated about surfboards, but probably many are if i had to guess
I think so. Firewire has also done a good job of associating their shapes with well known riders. Look at all the older fellas who buy the CJ Nelson stuff. Not to mention all of the people who buy into the idea of more tech = more better. Hell, you go on jamboards and can read about people who pay good money to go to that guys surf camps. If I was a shop owner, or employee, I would be hustling the firewires too. If I am not mistaken the margins are much higher than any of the other big brands.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
that's exactly it, the perception that higher "tech" is worth the higher price. and exclusivity with Machado & Tomo shapes

I have a buddy who rides a Seaside and a Mashup and he rips on them. he also rips on his PU Ghost when the waves are good.

Last edited:

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
You guys are missing the point. Who else is building….AND more importantly, marketing boards made out of volcano residue?!?! Now THAT is worth the extra coin as it will undoubtedly improve your surf abilities…or lack thereof. Latest marketing lingo is that they’re “forged in fire” - see below if you want a laugh

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
You guys are missing the point. Who else is building….AND more importantly, marketing boards made out of volcano residue?!?! Now THAT is worth the extra coin as it will undoubtedly improve your surf abilities…or lack thereof. Latest marketing lingo is that they’re “forged in fire” - see below if you want a laugh
lol i gotta believe all that effort, if true, is totally not worth the end product

Reactions: ReForest

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

...or a Torq.
yeah dude you're screwed, there's NO other options beyond that :LOL: