You'll all be riding popouts in the future :) Or starting a GoFundMe.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I remember when thrusters were alternative technology. :roflmao:
Yeah, it was actual alternative technology.

Not a gimmick like the alternative constructions at the core of this sidetrack conversation.

Maybe I should pull out all the mags from the 60s and 70s and post up some "alternative technology" showing the Firewire gimmick is as old as surfboard marketing.

Reactions: ReForest

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
What me and the other Yuris of the world want is a durable, fairly lightweight surfboard. O.G Surftech and Firewire Anabolic fits the criteria. CI Ultra Light doesn't.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: tacos and ReForest

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

Not a gimmick like the alternative constructions at the core of this sidetrack conversation.

Maybe I should pull out all the mags from the 60s and 70s and post up some "alternative technology" showing the Firewire gimmick is as old as surfboard marketing.
I seriously doubt they had mass board factories back then.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

The Gougeons and Burt Rutan invented most of the stuff we're using now back in the '70s.

Reactions: Havoc

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I mean... sort of but not really. I think its important to be open minded to alternative technology. I know a lot of people are in love with someone shaping a fresh blank and squeegeeing some sweet honey resin over fiberglass cloth... but there is more than one way to skin a cat.
It's great that you enjoy the "new" "tech".

I also have a strong opinion.... Personally, I've gone back to stringered PU for all wave types and sizes. I prefer it with epoxy resin, but PE is fine.

Feels great
Not corky
doesn't suck in 50% of the pacific ocean when you get a ding
cheaper
Better durability (I mean this)

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
seems like there's nothing new under the sun

so, again, based on the economics of surfboard building, the way to make a living in surfboards is-

A). have a recognizable enough pedigree of shaper to occupy a large portion of the market share and produce a high enough volume of OTR & custom boards made in factories local to each of your main markets

B.) establish the majority of your production to Asia where the cost of labor and materials is cheaper than it would be elsewhere, call it a different tech

C.) create the perception of scarcity, or one-of-a-kind works of art, in the boards you build and charge 150-300% more, produce lower volume

D.) produce boards in a different tech, but license it out to several shapers in categories A & C and don't produce them in Asia, charge 50-70% more than an OTR PU

E.) be a small to midrange shaper and produce boards mainly for your local market

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
This process that you (and I) love is probably completely alien to 85% or more surfers at this point in history. That percentage will likely increase, which is unfortunate.
maybe. but more erbb/casa hyperbole than reality.

today. typical sunday morning crowd for small clean kine. 3hrs. spanning three bars. about a dozen guys came and went. name basis with all but a couple.

out of that all but 2 were on stringered pu with 5 local backyard boards, a couple stamps, 1 pyzel, a rawson, and a baja shaper whose name i forget.

other than the rawson i guarantee you that the pop outs cost more than any of the other boards in the water and 8 were customs

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
seems like there's nothing new under the sun

so, again, based on the economics of surfboard building, the way to make a living in surfboards is-

A). have a recognizable enough pedigree of shaper to occupy a large portion of the market share and produce a high enough volume of OTR & custom boards made in factories local to each of your main markets

B.) establish the majority of your production to Asia where the cost of labor and materials is cheaper than it would be elsewhere, call it a different tech

C.) create the perception of scarcity, or one-of-a-kind works of art, in the boards you build and charge 150-300% more, produce lower volume

D.) produce boards in a different tech, but license it out to several shapers in categories A & C and don't produce them in Asia, charge 50-70% more than an OTR PU

E.) be a small to midrange shaper and produce boards mainly for your local market
As a footnote to B: keep the country of production as quiet as possible by either making the country of origin on the board nigh on un-readable or not have one at all.

Reactions: Hazrus and ReForest