Looks like the WSL hired a new head judge from Brazil

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Every one of these are surfed better than a single alle oop. None of scored a 10 and all done over a decade ago…

1) You're right. It would've been way sicker if the guy in Rio pulled into a 6 foot left hand reef pass instead of doing an air in Rio. It would've been cool if he got a 30 footer at Mavs for his second wave too.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Apples and smoked briskets.
Or more accurately, 10 waves surfed as good as waves could be surfed vs. 1 pump and dump non-technical alle oop.

Most people don’t know this (including surf contest judges apparently) but the alle oop is the easiest air to pull in surfing.

A smooth round house cutback to rebound in the hook is harder.

• Haha
Reactions: GromsDad

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Or more accurately, 10 waves surfed as good as waves could be surfed vs. 1 pump and dump non-technical alle oop.

Most people don’t know this (including surf contest judges apparently) but the alle oop is the easiest air to pull in surfing.

A smooth round house cutback to rebound in the hook is harder.

LOL.

Guy does an 8 foot air. The entire tour says, "whoa, that was huge".

Duffy: "But have you tried a roundhouse cutback?"

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
1) You're right. It would've been way sicker if the guy in Rio pulled into a 6 foot left hand reef pass instead of doing an air in Rio. It would've been cool if he got a 30 footer at Mavs for his second wave too.
All those check turns and pumps he did could have been maneuvers. You shouldn‘t get a 10 for spending 90% of the ride setting up an end section air.

10s are for surfing the wave you’re on as good as it can be surfed.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
All those check turns and pumps he did could have been maneuvers. You shouldn‘t get a 10 for spending 90% of the ride setting up an end section air.

10s are for surfing the wave you’re on as good as it can be surfed.
You are right. In fact the scoring system should revert back to being 100% about how many turns you can do on a wave. Love to see a sport's progression throughout the years.

• Haha
Reactions: pagey

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You are right. In fact the scoring system should revert back to being 100% about how many turns you can do on a wave. Love to see a sport's progression throughout the years.
No. what I’m saying is he could’ve done a turn or two before punting. He could have but didn’t. He could have surfed the wave better but didn’t.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Every one of these are surfed better than a single alle oop. None of scored a 10 and all done over a decade ago…
Dude, I'm a huge fan of his surfing, but you're smoking crack.
He bogged a rail(s) on almost all of those waves and was powerful, but really unsteady in his completions.

Also, Dane will tell you himself, he blows it in contests. And that's okay. No judgement there, just facts.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
What do you think this is showing? is a big alley oop in 3 foot Brazil beachbreak comparable to big turns at perfect Jbay Or lowers? Or course not. But his surfing on similar waves in that clip was jerky and uninspiring. And I love Dane from 10 years ago.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I posted a comment on Stab's instagram and got some backlash. It was a kid that did 2 airs on 1 wave. The title of the post was something like "Easy as 123... ". So i commented, something like, "wow, so easy a kid can do it. A hack would be better." and people got all bent out of shape about it.

Most little kids at lowers can do an air long before they ever learn how to do a proper turn. I'm sure its a hard manuever but a proper hack is way more technical IMO.