So who won the shape off?

......and best in show?
Since no one posted, here's the best in show winner-
IMG_8772.JPGIMG_8738.JPG

Here's the stuff that caught my eye from the build off-

Trippy fins
IMG_8748.JPGIMG_8747.JPG

Classic fins-IMG_8745.JPG

I was intrigued by this aysm- pretty subtle tail, nest to it were two , book matched asylums.
IMG_8785.JPG

There were a lot of entries-IMG_8768.JPG

As couple other things I noticed -

Weird twinzer placement-
IMG_8750.JPG

Good twinzer placement-
IMG_8753.JPG

Cool-
IMG_8779.JPG

One thing I'll mention that surprised me is that the Dark Arts did not seem that light to me. I was expecting 4-4.5 lbs. My shortboards come in around 6 lbs and, just anecdotally, seem about the same weight. The bonzer I made came in at 7lbs and seemed heavy to me. I made the mistake of not putting a gloss coat on it to keep the weight off and because of that my polished sand coat was sub standard compared to the other boards. I'm going to go back and put a proper gloss coat on, only because of the figured wood. I really prefer sand coat boards.

ps people malign LA for the traffic but the traffic on the 5 was a total nightmare. I missed the Best in Show judging by a half hour+ because I was not expecting bumper to bumper, stop and go, from Trestles to Carlsbad. Fook

Special thanks to K for the aloha. Also , was good to see Señor and Señora Pato in La Jolla.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
ps people malign LA for the traffic but the traffic on the 5 was a total nightmare. I missed the Best in Show judging by a half hour+ because I was not expecting bumper to bumper, stop and go, from Trestles to Carlsbad. Fook
yep, it’s real.

every weekend folks from north of the county come in to party and slowwww traffic out northbound every Sunday midday.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Stopped by the show on Saturday with my son. Notable things that happened:

- my son was chill AF in a crowd of surfers. Good for socal breaks. Still smiled a lot.

- had a convo with a guy at NVS about what else I might try in my stamps kai zen twin/ trailer to increase drive. He (can't remember his name) suggested going smaller than the nautilus, much to my surprise.

- like @ReForest , I spoke with Carlitos at length, except it was mostly about that Maurice Cole guy and how much of a character he is.

- we watched Rick Rock begin his shape. My son and I agreed that he was taking a lot of foam off the deck, contrary to popular wisdom. A nice moustachioed man and I discussed how it may have been to minimize bottom rocker modifications - they're not judging based on deck durability.

- I was delighted to buy the book. At $55 it's a goddamned steal. I talked photography with the author, as my dad worked for Kodak for like 40 years, and still shoots (and shows) 4x5 b&w. Both of them are fine artists. Great read - highly recommended.

- my son ate cold avocado and drank cold milk. Both a delightful surprise.

- as my son began to get annoyed with me, I stopped by to say hi to John Oppito from Rozbern - he was just finishing up a convo with Noal Sausalito.. seemed like a productive one. I mentioned he once met me at a cheesecake factory in Hell, NY to hand me my first custom surfboard over 10 years ago. We shared a laugh and I sent him the record shot of our first meeting.

- I drove home and the little guy napped in the car.

Great Dad / son experience, and always a great show. :shaka::shaka:

P.s. - we also enjoyed Tom Curren's performance on the uke. And a good burger.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Stopped by the show on Saturday with my son. Notable things that happened:

- my son was chill AF in a crowd of surfers. Good for socal breaks. Still smiled a lot.

- had a convo with a guy at NVS about what else I might try in my stamps kai zen twin/ trailer to increase drive. He (can't remember his name) suggested going smaller than the nautilus, much to my surprise.

- like @ReForest , I spoke with Carlitos at length, except it was mostly about that Maurice Cole guy and how much of a character he is.

- we watched Rick Rock begin his shape. My son and I agreed that he was taking a lot of foam off the deck, contrary to popular wisdom. A nice moustachioed man and I discussed how it may have been to minimize bottom rocker modifications - they're not judging based on deck durability.

- I was delighted to buy the book. At $55 it's a goddamned steal. I talked photography with the author, as my dad worked for Kodak for like 40 years, and still shoots (and shows) 4x5 b&w. Both of them are fine artists. Great read - highly recommended.

- my son ate cold avocado and drank cold milk. Both a delightful surprise.

- as my son began to get annoyed with me, I stopped by to say hi to John Oppito from Rozbern - he was just finishing up a convo with Noal Sausalito.. seemed like a productive one. I mentioned he once met me at a cheesecake factory in Hell, NY to hand me my first custom surfboard over 10 years ago. We shared a laugh and I sent him the record shot of our first meeting.

- I drove home and the little guy napped in the car.

Great Dad / son experience, and always a great show. :shaka::shaka:

P.s. - we also enjoyed Tom Curren's performance on the uke. And a good burger.
Sounds delightful! I wonder if the moo-stashed man was Barry Snyder. :unsure: He was there mingling like no big deal when in fact... he is a big deal.

Glad to read your thoughts on the book. Makes me feel better about the buy. :) A little Asian lady was selling me on the book and then some guy came buy and made it sounds like I would deeply regret not buying it so.... I bought it (peer pressure).

P.s. My first time to the boardroom show I took my kids and they were about 10 and 11. The photos and memories are priceless. Stoked for you!

Fun fun fun!

Reactions: SixtyGrit and JDJ

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
yep, it’s real.

every weekend folks from north of the county come in to party and slowwww traffic out northbound every Sunday midday.
It’s nuts. Stop and go all the way. 5 South clears up as soon as you pass 78 East.

Show was kinda underwhelming. Most interesting was chatting with the DA guys, they’re doing cool stuff with new materials. Sakals looked good.
Looked over all the fins at TA, Futures. Refrained from any impulse buys.
Checked out a new Yamamoto wetsuit brand launching in January: felt good and sounded like it had potential. I think it was called Narval, or something like that, with riders in Europe and S Africa.

Lots of pro boars on display. Reminded how little my current boars have in common with Mick and Ethan’s HPSBs.

Last edited:
Reactions: SD_Dan

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I wonder if the moo-stashed man was Barry Snyder. :unsure:
Glad you folks had a wholesome time as well!

Wasn't Barry Snyder, though. Last time I saw him, I tried to convince him to stay off his foot, least he loose his toe. Barry will do what he does...

Reactions: ReForest

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
prima fins were new to me : https://www.primawoodfins.com/ he recently made fins for torren martyn and reported + feedback. I bought a pair of uprights. not tried yet.

moo-stashed man was (probably) my brother ... we attended together.

pic of calvani's reaction to my brother showing a self-shaped board inspired/extended from one of calvani's:
Yes. That's the man.

It's honestly awesome the access you get to all the best shapers in the world as a garage shaper at the boardroom show. It's such a cornerstone community event in my eyes.

Also, post some pics of your brother's board!

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I did see it and felt it up. Felt like a midlength. I was fondling the 6'9" which was a little too big for me. I imagine its a Swamis/Churchs kinda board. Point break cruiser.
I've been trying to figure out a midlength for the last few years. For lazy days in junky surf, pretty much.

I've found that "performance" midlengths are a bad concept because they need relatively good surf, and if there's good surf then I'd much rather be riding a high-performance short board.

I'm thinking that a 6'9 Revo could be good if the rocker were flat enough and it wasn't too thick. Is it like that? Does it still have the pronounced VQC?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@cstreet yep! Same VQC as the Revo, but twin fin setup. The 6'9" felt pretty chunky, but i am a smaller guy. It probably felt like 2 1/2? Maybe a more. It felt beefy.

Tomo said its a fun machine. Something to cruise on or something for the bigger gents.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Reactions: waxfoot