Wax Removal

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’ve only ever sticky bumped.

foam dust works really well too. Don’t scrape a boar before repair if you don’t need to. It’ll come right off anyway after you’re done sanding and the dust hit the wax. .

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Works better than goo gone?
In my experience the surf specific ones like Sticky Bumps work a little better. They seem to be a little less viscous and don't leave a film like Goo Gone. That being said, I would assume Goo Gone is cheaper as they sell high volume and the difference isn't so noticeable. Just takes another step together the film off with a clean paper towel.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I think my bottle of SB cost me 8 bucks and based on how much I used on one board, even with my extensive quiver that thing will probably last me 5 plus years.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Homie

Miki Dora status
Sep 2, 2005
Dull razor blade is what the pros use lol sticky bumps and goo gone are alright but they leave boards greasy if you use too much! One of my favorite tricks is to use several micro fiber rags, one for each step just like detailing cars.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I think my bottle of SB cost me 8 bucks and based on how much I used on one board, even with my extensive quiver that thing will probably last me 5 plus years.
I think this fits. i just cracked a new bottle. funnily I bought it when I thought my last one would surely run out ~2yrs ago. Lol.

Last one barely had a label left (wax remover also removes labels). I think this is my third bottle in maybe 15yrs. I use up the most of it ripping up old tractions.

I admit I don’t use wax remover every rewax. hardly. But I do clean up the bottoms quite often bc I go 2 boars per slot in the rack and winter wax gets especially soft in the summer.

theres also the odd times I’ll remove tinted sun screen looking handprints on the nose rails if they irk me enough or I’m hiding from the wife and kid in the garage.

Last edited:

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
I just heat it up with a hair dryer, remove most of it with a wax comb and wipe the rest off with a paper towel.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Has anyone used one of these or seen one in person?

I've been seeing ads come across my Insta but not sure if its a gimmick or not. Looks legit!

1694633473701.jpeg