Show us your POWERBOATS

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Saw this on yt. Can you fish off these, or they just made for showing off your money?

$3.1m

1694023090269.png

1694023168140.png

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'd like to see more pictures of that one.
To me it's kind of ugly (cabin trunk). But I'm sure it's functional.

IMG_0285.PNG

LipService

OTF status
Feb 10, 2017
Serious question: Why do you suppose the democrat commies (redundant?) aren’t pushing for electric motors for boats? They want to dictate every other aspect of our lives that use fossil fuels, so why not this one?

Now I just made this thread political, and I hate myself for that since most of the erbb is already political.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Serious question: Why do you suppose the democrat commies (redundant?) aren’t pushing for electric motors for boats? They want to dictate every other aspect of our lives that use fossil fuels, so why not this one?

Now I just made this thread political, and I hate myself for that since most of the erbb is already political.
They've already made a mess of the powerboat world between ethanol in fuel and the regulations on outboard motors.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
But no push for electric, correct? Maybe the salt water?
There are some electric small motors on the market up to the equivalent of about 40hp. The weight of batteries is a limiting factor on a boat. Sailboats are often converted to electric because weight isn't a big issue for them and they mainly use power for just coming into port and docking.

Reactions: LipService

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The primary push for electric in the recreational sector is trolling motors instead of anchoring. I figured a windlass was good enough but SpotLock is aaaaaaall the rage around the honey holes in Florida.

It sort of amazes me what they're getting up to now. IMHO a pretty bare bones Mako 18 center console or a lightweight skiff with a 40 or even just a kayak can fish pretty hard. But the latest trend seems to be tricked out bay boats with $20-$40k in added on electronics packages, trolling motor, power pole.....

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
The primary push for electric in the recreational sector is trolling motors instead of anchoring. I figured a windlass was good enough but SpotLock is aaaaaaall the rage around the honey holes in Florida.

It sort of amazes me what they're getting up to now. IMHO a pretty bare bones Mako 18 center console or a lightweight skiff with a 40 or even just a kayak can fish pretty hard. But the latest trend seems to be tricked out bay boats with $20-$40k in added on electronics packages, trolling motor, power pole.....
Spotlock is amazing technology. I used to do a lot of wreck fishing and in order to get the fish other recreational boats couldn't I was doing it mostly in 90 to 130 feet of water where the average Joe couldn't anchor. To do it I carried marker buoys and extra heavy chain in lengths that I could clip in for more weight and an oversized anchor. First I'd have to find the wreck and mark it usually with two markers. Then I'd circle back and do a drift to figure out what wind and current were going to do. Then I'd run up current just the right distance and drop the anchor. If you drag you risk losing hundreds of dollars in gear. Once the anchor was set I'd let out line until I was directly over the wreck. The process might take 15 minutes and it might take more than one try. Then it was game on. Now you can literally pull up to the numbers, deploy the trolling motor and push a button. The down side is that now any yahoo with a $1,500 trolling motor can do what took a lot of skill and effort to do.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Another one of the boats I had the privilege of being paid to take people fishing on. This boat wasn't fast but man did it raise fish.

View attachment 162195
My buddy is buying one just like this from a lady going through a divorce - She only wants 18k...he's looking at it today (1990 34 Luhrs Sport)

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Spotlock is amazing technology. I used to do a lot of wreck fishing and in order to get the fish other recreational boats couldn't I was doing it mostly in 90 to 130 feet of water where the average Joe couldn't anchor. To do it I carried marker buoys and extra heavy chain in lengths that I could clip in for more weight and an oversized anchor. First I'd have to find the wreck and mark it usually with two markers. Then I'd circle back and do a drift to figure out what wind and current were going to do. Then I'd run up current just the right distance and drop the anchor. If you drag you risk losing hundreds of dollars in gear. Once the anchor was set I'd let out line until I was directly over the wreck. The process might take 15 minutes and it might take more than one try. Then it was game on. Now you can literally pull up to the numbers, deploy the trolling motor and push a button. The down side is that now any yahoo with a $1,500 trolling motor can do what took a lot of skill and effort to do.
Yeah I respect the skill especially those who nail it the first time as I was usually the designated anchor bitch.

My buddy is buying one just like this from a lady going through a divorce - She only wants 18k...he's looking at it today (1990 34 Luhrs Sport)
Is your buddy good with fiberglass, electrical, and diesel? $18k sounds like nothing.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, he runs his own electrical biz and what not...it's quite spacious, perfect for the bay.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, 75% would be in the bay...overnights out of VB to tuna grounds for sure...My 25' parker can make it - be best to follow someone as we only have a single 250 on the back.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit