Fires in Maui

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I can guarantee that those guys in the video would not be able to see or breath if they stopped and exited. Sometimes you just have to accept reality and get to safety.
My $0.02 is that later they're probably going to be asking "What if..." for the rest of their life no matter what they did.

Doesn't appear the ocean was perfect safety either:

1691766857635.png

Can someone post me the best link for helping out. I see several online but don't know which one to trust.
Good point, scammers prey on good will in situations like this. There is even a newspaper story about this (click me).

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - State Attorney General Anne Lopez is urging residents to be aware of possible scams as they look to help Maui wildfire victims.

“In moments of crisis, we all must be extra vigilant against bad actors who try to take advantage of people’s goodwill,” she said.

Here are some tips:
  • Donate to trusted, well-known charities.
    • Beware of scammers who create fake charities during natural disasters and always verify a charity’s legitimacy through its official website.
    • If someone is fundraising on behalf of a charity you are familiar with, the best practice is to donate directly to that charity.
  • Verify that the charity you are donating to is legitimate.
  • Steer clear of suspicious donation requests and be mindful of the following scammer’s tactics:
    • Rushing you into making a donation. Don’t let anyone rush you into making a donation. Take your time to conduct necessary research.
    • Asking you to make a donation using cash or gift card. Legitimate charities will normally accept credit card and check donations.
    • Using names that sound a lot like the names of real charities. Make sure to fact-check.
    • Scammers make lots of vague and sentimental claims, but won’t give any specifics about how your donation will be used.

Last edited:

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Oh my god, this is just so sad and tragic.
So much history and life lost, I can't even believe it.
:cry:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Just tragic. So much loss; it's hard to comprehend.
A good friend moved to Maui last year to start a new life with his wife. They lost everything they couldn't pack in his truck. He says they were fortunate that they had the foresight to evacuate early and had a place to go and stay with a friend of his uncles. They're not sure what the future holds but they want to stay and help rebuild the town that welcomed them with open arms.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
My best friend from childhoods dad's house burned down up above Kula Lodge. I spent so much of my small kid time there. It's shocking. The Lahaina situation is a full on catastrophic emergency of the highest level, but the loss upcountry is real too.

• Sad
Reactions: r32

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
The real time missing persons list. Might be helpful for anyone looking for info on individuals who were in the affected zones. The list paints a horrific picture of just how many people were affected by the fires and humanizes the tragedy in an unfathomable way. Prayers to everyone who was impacted.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WAA1iFGIOT7H3xJcr5aRgqVbUdwPnJkBolBc-eFFlJE/htmlview?usp=sharing&mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR1e3Q_hrulsSZnr-70TzjcXeT8NufsOWDGtp9nv34dt2UfruSTFoMDCTik_aem_AUF52zvKQFB7o2wbafstJwGGbCgNH-_KMN3x_5ABiM-KdsXO92KXXyZnWVbjP
That list keeps getting longer. So much red on it. It's harrowing what people have gone through and are going through.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I had similar thoughts at first. "Why didn't they stop real quick and at least haul her into the car?" but the reality of that situation, it probably was scorching hot outside. Let alone the fear factor. Hell the car was probably already cooking on the INSIDE and they were driving like mad to escape. I didn't hear much hesitation or debate- i bet it was SO insane they knew they themselves might not even make it, and they probably knew full well the lady was beyond saving.

I don't know if humans really CAN force themselves out into an inferno like that, no matter how heroic the intent. It's not like the flames were in the background. They were surrounded

Life isn't a movie. i don't think it's fair to judge those guys, and they will be haunted wrecks for the rest of their lives as it is. We're ALL heroes in our own screenplay. But, until there is an unholy firestorm outside your car window, then see how easy it is to stop. Jump out. rescue a (likely already dead) person and jump back in your vehicle. While it's like, 300 degrees right outside the car

un-fukking-imaginable is what it is.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I had similar thoughts at first. "Why didn't they stop real quick and at least haul her into the car?" but the reality of that situation, it probably was scorching hot outside. Let alone the fear factor. Hell the car was probably already cooking on the INSIDE and they were driving like mad to escape. I didn't hear much hesitation or debate- i bet it was SO insane they knew they themselves might not even make it, and they probably knew full well the lady was beyond saving.

I don't know if humans really CAN force themselves out into an inferno like that, no matter how heroic the intent. It's not like the flames were in the background. They were surrounded

Life isn't a movie. i don't think it's fair to judge those guys, and they will be haunted wrecks for the rest of their lives as it is. We're ALL heroes in our own screenplay. But, until there is an unholy firestorm outside your car window, then see how easy it is to stop. Jump out. rescue a (likely already dead) person and jump back in your vehicle. While it's like, 300 degrees right outside the car

un-fukking-imaginable is what it is.
Plus they were in a line of cars trying to get out with a raging inferno on each side. Every car in that line has an obligation to the others to keep moving because at some point very soon the window of escape will be closed. No time for anything but to drive the fuck out. It sucks and they will live with regret but anyone judging them for doing anything but trying to escape and stay alive is kidding themselves as to what really happened.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Can someone post me the best link for helping out. I see several online but don't know which one to trust.
i got a bunch of those Maui Strong shirts HIC is selling to raise money.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Plus they were in a line of cars trying to get out with a raging inferno on each side. Every car in that line has an obligation to the others to keep moving because at some point very soon the window of escape will be closed. No time for anything but to drive the fuck out. It sucks and they will live with regret but anyone judging them for doing anything but trying to escape and stay alive is kidding themselves as to what really happened.
yeah they weren't just like "near the fire" or "escaping the fire" they were very much IN the fire, and "escaping" was still very much in question.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I read it was high winds knocking over power lines.
(or maybe high winds knocking trees into power lines)

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I read it was high winds knocking over power lines.
(or maybe high winds knocking trees into power lines)
Seems a multitude of causes for it devastating Lahaina - "flash drought", elevated winds from Dora, invasive dry grasses taking over former pineapple and cane fields that, had they been under cultivation, would likely have not burned. Then of course, the sh!t stirring effect of global warming.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I'm policing the fukk out of this thread. And yes Gromsdad i deleted your post and not ONeWorlded's. Deal with it, and save your sh!t for the politics forum. If it makes you feel better, i deleted skully's post too

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Sadly, wildfire disasters like this bring in all kinds of carpetbaggers to prey on the disaster victims. They'll probably start showing up next week. Hopefully the Maui folks will be protective and vigilant!