Tomo MPH

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
My opinion on using S-wings on a shorter board.......get a twin set and get a stiffer construction.

I felt the thruster set lacked drive because the fin bases are fairly small. I could also feel the fin cavitate through bottom turns.

There is something special to them for sure. They feel amazing through roundhouse turns but I think a larger, stiffer set would solve the problems I encountered.
That was one of my concerns as well @jkb

Speaking of exotic fins... does anyone have any feedback on the C-drive fins?

Reactions: jkb

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia

Not a fan of C drives. Dont like the way they release in turns.
Video on cavitation.
Ive not encountered this with any of my S wing fins on any boards. I dont run thruster set ups as they give me lower back pain so its twins or quads for me. So if i used pro 440s in a hydroshort it would be in a quad configuration.
Have a look through S wings insta as they have tonnes of pics of users different fin combos on all kinds of boards.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Not a fan of C drives. Dont like the way they release in turns.
Video on cavitation.
Ive not encountered this with any of my S wing fins on any boards. I dont run thruster set ups as they give me lower back pain so its twins or quads for me. So if i used pro 440s in a hydroshort it would be in a quad configuration.
Have a look through S wings insta as they have tonnes of pics of users different fin combos on all kinds of boards.
I definitey want to get a pair of S-wings. Used Surf in San Clemente has some. I believe they even have some you can demo as part of their Fin Demo program. Now that you've sparked my interest i'm gonna have to dive into them.

Reactions: Retropete

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
looks fun. are you gonna get one @ReForest ?
Nah... I just moved to a bigger house which means bigger rent. So i'm gonna stay on the Hydroshort/Cymatic/Revo rotation until something different sparks my interest.

I've heard about some of the guys on here ordering some SICK Tomo shapes soon. Very jelly and cant wait to see them.

Reactions: tedshred5

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Nah... I just moved to a bigger house which means bigger rent. So i'm gonna stay on the Hydroshort/Cymatic/Revo rotation until something different sparks my interest.

I've heard about some of the guys on here ordering some SICK Tomo shapes soon. Very jelly and cant wait to see them.
minimalist quiver ftw. I've been trying to stay on a 3-4 board rotation myself. :cheers:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I definitey want to get a pair of S-wings. Used Surf in San Clemente has some. I believe they even have some you can demo as part of their Fin Demo program. Now that you've sparked my interest i'm gonna have to dive into them.
Very cool if you can demo them. Have the Tomo hatchet vibe going on but with a smoother, more "organic" feel to them rather than "milky." Report back once you try them. As you will have noticed there are different sized bases and trailing arms and flex patterns so good if you can grab a couple of demo sets.

Reactions: ReForest
Jul 1, 2009

I have a local variant of c-drive quad trailers. Highly recommend. Extended bases gives you that instant drive/'get up and go' of a quad. The thinned out tip makes it easy to pivot/release when you apply sufficient back foot pressure, whereas a typically quad can get tracky or more drawn out on turns. They look tiny but work when paired with your favorite thruster fins.

I have a J-drive quad set from Specific Vibrators on the way so will see how they compare.

Top pic, compared to Scarfini quad trailer. Bottom pic, compared to FG-3 for size reference.

IMG_20230811_105519.jpg
IMG_20230811_105415.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ReForest and jkb

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I have a local variant of c-drive quad trailers. Highly recommend. Extended bases gives you that instant drive/'get up and go' of a quad. The thinned out tip makes it easy to pivot/release when you apply sufficient back foot pressure, whereas a typically quad can get tracky or more drawn out on turns. They look tiny but work when paired with your favorite thruster fins.

I have a J-drive quad set from Specific Vibrators on the way so will see how they compare.

Top pic, compared to Scarfini quad trailer. Bottom pic, compared to FG-3 for size reference.

View attachment 160269
View attachment 160268
Sweet. Thanks! Such a basic explanation but i totally get it.

Reactions: weskussurfer

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Picked up some old school fishes. I had to stash these ones at work though because the wife randomly counted my boards! :oops:

I think she over heard me talking about picking these up. Gonna have to let the dust settle before putting them in the board closet.

17792608-3FAB-4F4F-808F-49CA68CAA42D.jpegD2E5120A-FCFA-498C-A6FD-E1847B662153.jpeg