I need a side hustle

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Seems like we’re going to have to fight over these Costco jobs boys. Time for us all to enter the THUNDERDUMB like Zuck and Musk.

call me an elitist (it's ok, i call myself that all the time) but i worked a LOT of service and restaurant jobs as a teenager/college kid- i would have a hard time going back as an adult
As a kid, the novelty of it makes it fun - you're young and it's new and you have some optimism that it's a stepping stone. When you're middle-aged, not so much.

When I was broke and in start up mode for a business 12+ years ago, I used to flip boards on Craigslist. Find listings with no photos or bad photos and email/call them, also look in general listings. Only buy popular name brand shortboards (ie. Mayhem, CI, etc). Shortboards only, no guns or weird boards. Only clear boards or professional airbrush / resin work, or something you can sand off. Low ball them hard. Get the board, fix It up, clean off the wax, put on a new cheap pad, cheap fins if needed. Take great photos. Relist for $100-200+ profit. Was doing 2 a week as a side hustle.

With FB marketplace now, could be even better with flipping from Craigslist to FB.
THANKS GARY VEE.

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
When I was broke and in start up mode for a business 12+ years ago, I used to flip boards on Craigslist. Find listings with no photos or bad photos and email/call them, also look in general listings. Only buy popular name brand shortboards (ie. Mayhem, CI, etc). Shortboards only, no guns or weird boards. Only clear boards or professional airbrush / resin work, or something you can sand off. Low ball them hard. Get the board, fix It up, clean off the wax, put on a new cheap pad, cheap fins if needed. Take great photos. Relist for $100-200+ profit. Was doing 2 a week as a side hustle.

With FB marketplace now, could be even better with flipping from Craigslist to FB.

Was thinking of doing this too. However, the boards on fb marketplace and cl in my area are trash. So many local college kid wannabe shaper shapes. Need to bring a uhaul back from ca or something.

And yea, I got absolutely fugged in my time in the restaurant industry. Hot chicks got all the FOH jobs. My last gig was at a fine dining restaurant as a foodrunner/bus boy and the most I made in one night after those cokehead cnts tipped me out was $110 bucks for 8 hrs of busting ass. Made it 5 months with the promise of moving into waiter shifts. Never again. Although I'd love to own a food truck one day. Fine dining restaurants are cutthroat too; so many of those blimp-lipped bimbos would walk out with $500 cash for the night and say they had a bad night and can't afford rent... not the easiest place for an honest nice guy.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Gotta have dollars to get your dollars to make you more dollars. Can't think of a way to produce dollars out of thin air without investing your time.
Agreed 100%. The key is not wasting them to lifestyle creep. This is possible for most anyone with a decent salary. I've consumed a lot of personal finance content and the number of stories you here about people who make $250-300k+ year but still talk about how they live paycheck to paycheck have me shaking my head.

• Wow
Reactions: brukuns

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
dealing with customers. they get a lot of methadone patients and they get super eggy. and customers in general seem to be a real PITA. they've burned through several managers since he's been there. every time he starts talking about it you can see the rage building and he stops talking about it.

yeah, being a pharmacist is a really boring job too. they have one of the highest suicide rates by profession.
A huge chunk of business is selecting your customers. You want to be customer-focused but not coddle the ones that are a PITA or who don't spend a lot of money. It seems to me that to serve these types you need to be one of these people who isn't afraid to fight - kind of like an ER surgeon in the inner city where half your job is being a bouncer.

Otherwise, better just to get easier customers.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Agreed 100%. The key is not wasting them to lifestyle creep. This is possible for most anyone with a decent salary. I've consumed a lot of personal finance content and the number of stories you here about people who make $250-300k+ year but still talk about how they live paycheck to paycheck have me shaking my head.
$250k+ a year is being rich in my book. that's crazy.

Last edited:

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
i have clients who make 7 figures and are basically paycheck to paycheck (with the exception of maxing retirement).

in my experience, having dealt with hundreds of high income clients (over $300k) is that MOST people spend what they make. that means over 50%. and most people who are in a job in which their salary is north of $300k are stressed thefuck out.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
dealing with customers. they get a lot of methadone patients and they get super eggy. and customers in general seem to be a real PITA. they've burned through several managers since he's been there. every time he starts talking about it you can see the rage building and he stops talking about it.

yeah, being a pharmacist is a really boring job too. they have one of the highest suicide rates by profession.
so, nothing to do with Costco lol

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Haha. Guy was already rich.

I’m just a guy trying to surf at 10am on the weekdays.

In my experience, side hustles are never pretty. Otherwise they’d be main hustles. Gotta get in the mucky muck.
I'm just bustin yer balls. TBH I admire you entreprenuerial (sp) types, it's just not me.

i have clients who make 7 figures and are basically paycheck to paycheck (with the exception of maxing retirement).

in my experience, having dealt with hundreds of high income clients (over $300k) is that MOST people spend what they make. that means over 50%. and most people who are in a job in which their salary is north of $300k are stressed thefuck out.
I see this all the time in my neighborhood. Like @racer1 I like being able to surf at 10 am on weekdays so I got out of debt and keep my expenses low.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Exactly.

Did you see the movie “This is 40” where Graham Parsons says the secret to life is, “to keep a small nut.” Like small overhead. And Paul Rudd is stressed out saying, “I can’t keep a small nut, I have a very large nut!”

Reactions: averagejoe and PRCD

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

It's easy to do, and fun to do

Every time i feel a little irresponsible spending a lot of money on trips (definitely my largest discretionary category), i remind myself i could get hit by a bus tomorrow, and carpe diem. What's the point of making it if I'm not enjoying it

Gotta max that 401k, and i do occasionally invest in stuff. But i usually spend what i make, and i tend to spend it on experiences.

But i'm in a period of financial hibernation for the next several months. It's amazing how much i DON'T have to spend if i just keep my life simple and close to home. Dining out and travel get really spendy, really fast

Reactions: averagejoe

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I go through seasons too. Sometimes I spend nothing but groceries and bills. And the savings add up quick. Then sometimes I’m buying a used solo shot off Craigslist and a tripod and new fins, a pair of boardshorts and donating to a friends gofundme in a couple days.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
$250k+ a year is being rich in my book. that's crazy.
this is sort of true in most locales, but in New York, it would be equally mind blowing for you to learn what even a "modest" nut can set you back each month. My monthly fixed costs (mortgage, car, etc) are relatively modest for my bracket, and it's still a lot.

$250K is successful, even in a pricey DMA like New York, but it ain't making you rich here

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
this is sort of true in most locales, but in New York, it would be equally mind blowing for you to learn what even a "modest" nut can set you back each month. My monthly fixed costs (mortgage, car, etc) are relatively modest for my bracket, and it's still a lot.

$250K is successful, even in a pricey DMA like New York, but it ain't making you rich here
I can imagine.

In Brazzo money, $250k a year is 1.25m a year.

Similarly, I could live in a house 5x the size of my apartment if I moved to a different city (or even a different region in São Paulo). But you live where your life is (I could write a book with such deep and meaningful statements).

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah even though i only commute to midtown 3x a week now (and for the rest of my career- even our CEO has stopped making noise about a 5 day in office week ever again) my career is still very "New York based".

Plenty of GM's have tried to entice me away from NYC to their markets, including SF, Miami, even briefly discussed San Diego, but my billing would take a big hit if i moved to any of those cities, and my cost of living wouldn't really change. I'm only this successful IN New York, if that makes sense. I would make a fine living in any of our other big markets, but i wouldn't make nearly what i make in NYC.

And really- NY is a grind, but it's a pretty amazing place to live. And Long Beach is a special little bubble for sure.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA

I don't think you know what "relatively modest" means dog

$250K is plenty even in NY unless you're profligate (most people are ie. making $200K+ and having a monthly car cost outside of insurance/gas)

• Haha
Reactions: Subway