I need a side hustle

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
I told my wife if all the hustles dried up at once I would go and work at Costco. She hates that idea. Everybody working there seems happy, air conditioning, pretty chill customers, free samples, double pay on weekends, good medical benefits, business is everything proof.
I never thought that as they all seem miserable at the one in my neighborhood. Then I had a friend move to Portland and she started working there. Loves it. Said it's the best job she has ever had. The long term employees there get 8 weeks paid vacation a year and solid six figure salaries.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
yeah I surf with a guy who’s been at one for 20+ years (well, he moves around to different ones depending on whaT they need). He quietly told me what he makes. I was impressed. He goes to Namotu for 1-2 weeks every year. Has multiple condo rentals. Takes the whole family snowboarding in Japan every winter. Sent two daughters to west coast private schools for college. He does and has worked every Sunday since the 90s though. Faka still drives a 2001 Tacoma.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You'll wait 6 months before a roofer can come and fix your roof here.
One summer, did a summer in college helping with roof repair (2 days a week while keeping the food service job for the other 4 days).

Am sure it helped me put my nose to the text books once schooling started back up.

Takes me back to Beaverton Skate Center

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think the difference is the Millennials are much more entitled.
You said it's hard to get an entry level job and get yelled at by a 32 year old manager.

It's hard to pick strawberries and artichokes and sh!t in the Central Valley. It's hard to pick tomatoes in Immokalee. It's hard to be a present father, have no mean no in your household, afford a home in an area with decent schools, and have managers dangle you with impossible deadlines because you have a mortgage, college fund, insurance, car, etc. bills to pay.

It's not fucking hard to get some soon-to-be robot'd away job, show up not smelling of alcohol, get your warm body on, and disregard some millennial manager's attempts at berating people.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I never thought that as they all seem miserable at the one in my neighborhood. Then I had a friend move to Portland and she started working there. Loves it. Said it's the best job she has ever had. The long term employees there get 8 weeks paid vacation a year and solid six figure salaries.
What does someone do at Costco where they‘re making 6 figures?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
So, when's the crack hoe or dealer suggestions come down the pike?

Make a lot more per hour than at Costco, though I hear the benefits do kinda "suck".

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
What does someone do at Costco where they‘re making 6 figures?
probably been there a couple decades or manager and/or works Saturdays and Sundays (double pay).

Hawaii employees make more than other states. Something to do with profitsharing / sales goals and Hawaii stores are always in the top 10-20 in the nation with the Honolulu-Iwilei store being number 1 in the country for a long time.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Guy I know used to drive fork lift at Costco. This was 10+ years ago. He was making about $45k and making more than most college grads. And he had solid retirement plan and good health care.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com

View attachment 158637

View attachment 158638
i have a buddy who is a staff pharmacist at costco in santa cruz. HATES his job with a passion.

• Wow
Reactions: r32