YOLO ALERTS

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Used YOLO: CI RW stoke 5’6. Had one a couple years back and really enjoyed it, so I grabbed this one for a decent price off FB. I was surprised at how thin it felt in comparison to the Albums I’ve been buying lately. Should be an interesting first go on it if we ever get waves again :drowning:

View attachment 158415

View attachment 158416
there's one on the local CL in xtr...curious to hear how it goes. thought it was meant to be a groveler but i guess not?

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
there's one on the local CL in xtr...curious to hear how it goes. thought it was meant to be a groveler but i guess not?
I bought my first one back in 2018 and loved it. Rode it mostly in small gravelly type waves with a set of MR twin + trailer, but it could hold in bigger surf with a thruster set. After that board lost its pop, I bought another one, but with Futures boxes. I could never find a Futures set of fins that matched the performance of the MRs, so I ended up selling it after a couple months.

I’ve been riding a variety of Albums for the last year or so, which generally have a fuller foil. That’s why the RW foil threw me off. It’s funny though, because I distinctly remember thinking my first RW was a bit too thick at one point. How times have changed.

Reactions: SD_Dan and Havoc

dcurbelo

OTF status
Jan 27, 2011
Atlantic Ocean
Nice! How long did it take?
6 weeks from order to shop delivery. Pretty fast considering the turnaround times nowadays.
It’s my first order from the Pukas factory since many years ago, after many unpleasant experiences with custom orders. It seems that they have improved their QC thought. With shipping costs skyrocketing , I’m forced to take advantage of the licensed brands available and leave the shipping option for the fancy stuff.
I’m in the process of re-stocking my quiver with some boards made in PU. No experiments. Just some trusting HPSBs. It’s also been a while since I put my last CI order, but I must admit that this model caught my attention, specifically the 2. version.
I’ll post something after riding it once I get back home in September.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Coffee cup is an incomplete cue, you want the full tiger-superman combo.
So I actually tried this the last couple days and it feels almost exactly like doing a stroke of freestyle swim? At least frontside - forward square gliding, pull back and rotate to bottom turn, reach up and over rotating back to top turn.

It also works my mind was kind of blown

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
So what were you guys doing before?

Inflatable tube guy arms?

there’s a guy that surfs my NS regular who’s lack of style resembles that.
The crew used to call him Gumby but I said he surfs like the blow up doll at the car lots. I looked it up and they’re called air dancers. So now we call him air dancer. Behind his back of course cause we have manners.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
So what were you guys doing before?

Inflatable tube guy arms?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ive always been decent with the balerina arm on top turns but idk I feel like I would sort of try to tic tak to pump and generate speed off of my back foot. Probably a bad habit from growing up skateboarding and riding tiny boards in garbage waves. It works but leaves you without the leverage to throw your arm back and really drive up the face of the wave to set up your top turn.

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ive always been decent with the balerina arm on top turns but idk I feel like I would sort of try to tic tak to pump and generate speed off of my back foot. Probably a bad habit from growing up skateboarding and riding tiny boards in garbage waves. It works but leaves you without the leverage to throw your arm back and really drive up the face of the wave to set up your top turn.
Is this what Yuri does?
why does he seem stuck at the trough of the wave and can’t seem to generate speed even when he’s flapping and trying to pump down the line?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
So I actually tried this the last couple days and it feels almost exactly like doing a stroke of freestyle swim? At least frontside - forward square gliding, pull back and rotate to bottom turn, reach up and over rotating back to top turn.

YES!!!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii

freestyle stroke is a better description cause that’s what it feels like. Hand forward glide through water, pull it back to go up the face and then swing overhead/forward during turn, repeat.

• Love
Reactions: Mr J and ehiunno

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Is this what Yuri does?
why does he seem stuck at the trough of the wave and can’t seem to generate speed even when he’s flapping and trying to pump down the line?
Lol he definitely has a particular wiggle. I think I saw someone on here say in another thread where he came up that he hasn't figured out how to climb the pocket which seems accurate.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I only rarely run into him so I don't have any insights to share. I don't think we really frequent the same jetties. Honestly I've got no hate for the guy though he's earnest and doing his thing :shrug:

Reactions: Havoc and oeste858

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Lol he definitely has a particular wiggle. I think I saw someone on here say in another thread where he came up that he hasn't figured out how to climb the pocket which seems accurate.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I only rarely run into him so I don't have any insights to share. I don't think we really frequent the same jetties. Honestly I've got no hate for the guy though he's earnest and doing his thing :shrug:
I feel like this is something yurl might say