Fireworks bum me out

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
well, they cause my dog a lot of anxiety and distress, which in turn bums me out. this go round, even the cat freaked out a little. we can't tell if it's bc the dog was so upset or if some of the louder ones were scaring her. they do feed off of each others energy.

fireworks are supposedly illegal in our area. there were large signs posted all over saying so and saying that fines could reach $1k if caught. didn't really stop the 'hood from going full armageddon.

i guess that's my rant

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
My dogs have been pretty good with them up until this year. My youngest dog was really freaked. In fact he's laying at my feet under my desk which he only does when he's sick. Poor dude.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
luckily my dog isn't bothered much by them.

i'm more worried about drunk idiots/kids burning down the forest/town. luckily a fog layer moved in last night and kept humidity high.

last year was so dry and windy. mega sketchy.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
more rogue fireworks last night than years prior.

seemed like adult children in their driveways more so than kids in the ravines based on the hours long onslaught and immediate stoppage at 10p.

my dog was pissed to say the least.

• Sad
Reactions: averagejoe

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
more rogue fireworks last night than years prior.

seemed like adult children in their driveways more so than kids in the ravines based on the hours long onslaught and immediate stoppage at 10p.

my dog was pissed to say the least.
the quantity this year was greater and then they just stopped at 11pm.
my dog has had a traumatic history and freaks at anything that sounds like a gunshot. A helicopter can hover above him and he would not flinch. But a backfire or sharp pop and he is gone.

even with him in his safespace, covered crate, dosed up on CBD tincture, he was shivering and pissing himself last night.:(

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
have worked security for a weekly fireworks show for the past 20 years or so...and seeing the same explosions going off right over my house, courtesy of dipshit neighbors, that i normally see on the beach, courtesy of licensed professionals, trips me out:foreheadslap:

• Wow
Reactions: PJ and Sharkbiscuit

Jack-the-Ripper

OTF status
Feb 10, 2023
well, they cause my dog a lot of anxiety and distress, which in turn bums me out. this go round, even the cat freaked out a little. we can't tell if it's bc the dog was so upset or if some of the louder ones were scaring her. they do feed off of each others energy.

fireworks are supposedly illegal in our area. there were large signs posted all over saying so and saying that fines could reach $1k if caught. didn't really stop the 'hood from going full armageddon.

i guess that's my rant
What's with everyone suddenly whining about their dog's emotional state and fireworks? Everything was fine for decades, now all of the sudden it's people bitching their dog is terrified and some wanting bans on fireworks shows. Actually it's not everyone, seems most of the people complaining don't have kids, and of course childless people love to complain because they don't have a real human in their life to worry about, haha.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
What's with everyone suddenly whining about their dog's emotional state and fireworks? Everything was fine for decades, now all of the sudden it's people bitching their dog is terrified and some wanting bans on fireworks shows. Actually it's not everyone, seems most of the people complaining don't have kids, and of course childless people love to complain because they don't have a real human in their life to worry about, haha.
So is PTSD just a made up complaint also? Vets who jump out of their skin when they hear an unexpected explosion. Dogs shivering in a corner trying to get away from their fear.
Nah, that never happened in the past. Narcissism is a cancer in our society. .

Reactions: averagejoe

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
have worked security for a weekly fireworks show for the past 20 years or so...and seeing the same explosions going off right over my house, courtesy of dipshit neighbors, that i normally see on the beach, courtesy of licensed professionals, trips me out:foreheadslap:
the professionals are letting you down

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
my kid slept through it all, thank you very much.

the backyard firework shows are nothing like the tin can pop pop pop and flash i had growing up. A Piccolo Pete duct taped and smashed up to go boom is a mild annoyance by comparison to what we had in my hood last night.

Reactions: $kully

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
the professionals are letting you down
Some day we’re gonna have a meatup and I’m gonna tell you how some nitwit dropped a lit cigarette on the pile of fireworks at the Gardenhill park amphitheater on the fourth. Blew him and the whole mess dafuk up. This was around 1965. You should have seen all the redfreaks trying to run away. Oohh wow man!

• Love
Reactions: 20W-50 and blood

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
my kid slept through it all, thank you very much.

the backyard firework shows are nothing like the tin can pop pop pop and flash i had growing up. A Piccolo Pete duct taped and smashed up to go boom is a mild annoyance by comparison to what we had in my hood last night.
M80’s minimum or gtfo.

• Love
Reactions: sushipop

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
do kids even smash the piccolo petes anymore?

now that i think about....smashing a piccolo pete with a hammer or a brick might be more dangerous than lighting an actual m1000.

cant even coutn how many times i was smashing them for the intended later effect....to only have the damn thing explode right in front of me.

Reactions: sdsrfr