Cervical radiculopathy

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Aka pinched nerve (C8). Kind of like sciatica of the arm, numbness/tingling/pain down the left arm and into the pinky and ring finger. Been through 6 weeks of PT - stretching, nerve flossing, cervical decompression, etc - got most of it to go away, but just can't get rid of it completely. Still some numbness, my grip is not what it should be, fine motor skills are off, kind of plateaued the problem right there. About to go back to my doc to escalate the issue to whatever's next (steroid shot in the neck, I think). Anyone been through this? Thanks!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yup. Steroid to the neck. Worked like a charm. I’ve been told it doesn’t work for everyone.

It’s temporary. I’ve had 3 rounds on the left side and 2 on the right, C 4/5 5/6 and 6/7, over a 10 year span.

I use traction almost every day. I am obsessive about good posture.

When you drive sit with perfect posture and adjust your rear view mirror. As you drive if your mirror get “out of adjustment” redo your posture.

Set up computer so you sit up straight. No head forward chimp spine.

As for surfing, quit. If you MUST surf then you will want strengthen your back so when you paddle you use your back to arch up and see where you’re going.

Also, you don’t need to see where you are going. Paddle with your head down.

Do neck strengthening exercises consistently.

Welcome to the world of neck maintenance.

You will get better but you have to keep treating it. The steroid injections will give you the opportunity to actively heal.

This is your life now.

Here’s the traction I use. It’s the best for me.

B732662E-87C7-4AE9-B893-3411AA5076CA.jpeg
A2757455-7065-4F15-890F-DFD03BCBE3B2.jpeg

Any questions don’t hesitate. I’ll even talk to you on the phone or in person if need be.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Been battling c5 to c7 pick nerve for the last yr as well. Numbness and weakness to hands and legs have improved about 80% but stagnant now.

You got a link to that traction method and device?

Also, any good neck focused exercise video?

Besides hydration, any supplements you recommend?

Reactions: Pico

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I had the problem decades ago. I was diagnosed with nerve damage. Pinky and ring finger buzzed almost constantly. Although there was no weakness. I went through all the options at that time. The local docs wanted to fuse my neck on two levels with bone. They go in from the front and rip the disc out and wedge cadaver bone into your spine and close. I opted out. Everything I heard re fusions indicated that once you start down that road, all the motion goes into the discs adjacent to the fusion and then they pop. Repeat the process. Not a good solution for someone who wanted to continue to surf/train in a contact MA. I finally found a Doc who would go in from behind and decompress the nerve from the back. Risky. After a few years of constant pain I was ready to take the risk. The surgery helped. But weight training was what got me the rest of the way there. I went from 190 pounds to 210 pounds with single digit body fat. Pain was gone. I was back surfing and training. I've been mostly fine for decades. And at one point I was told to make peace with opiate addiction, quit surfing, quit training, no weight lifting etc.

I went further than I needed to with the weight training. Along those lines, I recently bought this neck strengthening device

Iron Neck Training | Neck Exercise Machine & Strengthening Equipment (iron-neck.com)

I love the thing. Probably NOT the call if you have numbness/tingling. The change it made in my neck is visible. My neck turned one way better than the other. That has gone away with the IN.

And yeah, surfing eats necks. I know a number of formerly world class surfers. Most all of them paddle looking down at the deck of their board if they still surf. Save the hyperextension for takeoffs.

EDIT: And no sign of nerve damage now via nerve conduction test. Which I was told by at least one Doc was impossible. My body apparently thought otherwise.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Been battling c5 to c7 pick nerve for the last yr as well. Numbness and weakness to hands and legs have improved about 80% but stagnant now.

See pics above. should be self explanatory.
Also, any good neck focused exercise video?
Lay on back. Lift head off floor. Keep head off floor for the entire sequence.

Tuck/untuck chin (nodding motion). 10 reps (increase over time).

Turn head to left and back to center. 10 reps.

Turn head to right and back to center. 10 reps.

Left ear to left shoulder x10. Right ear to right shoulder x10.

Relax. Do traction.
Besides hydration, any supplements you recommend?
Don’t take NSAIDs, ever.

I don’t take any vitamins or supplements whatsoever.

Reactions: Lowqi2

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I have artificial discs - c5/6 n c6/7, done about three years ago.

body surfing injury ad a teen finally caught me. 52 yrs old. Did and tried everything, relentlessly to get better and avoid surgery but my pain was literally like 20 on scale of 1-10.

Leading up to thst procedure- Couldnt work, lost most of the use of both hands. Can’t accurately describe how bad it was. For me those artificial discs were literally a miracle. I woke up from that procedure from a 20/10 pain to 4/10 pain

Anyhow - gaining and maintaining strength in the area is key, just like for any area of the body that is compromised.

same w mobility and range range of motion

If possible a number of times throughout day and lay down w a rolled up towel under Neck to give it a rest- let nerve have some time to chill/calm down

Prior to disc replacements epidurals didnt help at all. I’ve had 3 of them post surgery - after I do something extra strenuous thst ends up really pissing off nerves and the inflammation/pain/loss of strength etc will just not go away I get one - and “it lasts” until the next time I overdo it.

fortunately I am able to surf regularly but ride boards w a bit extra paddle power.

Reactions: Lowqi2

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Nerve damage is weird. I have numbness and weakness of the extremities but no pain in the neck (only mild soreness if I sleep without neck supported).

I’m sure everyone is different , but curious to hear what your personal experiences were in terms the timing or sequence of your symptoms. Did all the symptoms appear all at once? Or was there a continuum of numbness first then pain then muscle weakness?

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
See pics above. should be self explanatory.

Lay on back. Lift head off floor. Keep head off floor for the entire sequence.

Tuck/untuck chin (nodding motion). 10 reps (increase over time).

Turn head to left and back to center. 10 reps.

Turn head to right and back to center. 10 reps.

Left ear to left shoulder x10. Right ear to right shoulder x10.

Relax. Do traction.

Don’t take NSAIDs, ever.

I don’t take any vitamins or supplements whatsoever.
How long are you in traction? Everyday?

I do the sequence you describe but on my belly. It mimics paddling. A PT showed me. You arch your back but keep the neck in straight alignment. It's mad it easier for me to look back at an oncoming wave while paddling. I think I toasted my neck over the decades doing the hair flip. I've always kept my hair on the long side. Now I flip my hair with my hand. IN the winter it's not a problem because I wear a hood (for the ear otosis too). I tried a bucket hat for the summer but punching through wave the brim comes down and so it's no different, in fact more annoying than just flipping my hair with my hand.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
How long are you in traction? Everyday?
5 days a week.

I do the sequence you describe but on my belly. It mimics paddling. A PT showed me. You arch your back but keep the neck in straight alignment. It's mad it easier for me to look back at an oncoming wave while paddling.
That strengthens you back (which is good too).
I think I toasted my neck over the decades doing the hair flip. I've always kept my hair on the long side. Now I flip my hair with my hand. IN the winter it's not a problem because I wear a hood (for the ear otosis too). I tried a bucket hat for the summer but punching through wave the brim comes down and so it's no different, in fact more annoying than just flipping my hair with my hand.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Aka pinched nerve (C8). Kind of like sciatica of the arm, numbness/tingling/pain down the left arm and into the pinky and ring finger. Been through 6 weeks of PT - stretching, nerve flossing, cervical decompression, etc - got most of it to go away, but just can't get rid of it completely. Still some numbness, my grip is not what it should be, fine motor skills are off, kind of plateaued the problem right there. About to go back to my doc to escalate the issue to whatever's next (steroid shot in the neck, I think). Anyone been through this? Thanks!
Unfortunately surfing is just about the worst thing for it. I've had it off and on for years. I've managed it with shorter sessions unless the surf is really good. I really start feeling it on waves with long paddle outs after waves. Steroids work for some. Time and rehab works for others. The good news is unlike the lower back (i'm not suggesting surgery or even a consult) surgery for this is very successful if it gets to that point. A friend of mine had a nasty flareup last summer that took months to resolve...... weakness in the arm and numbness in his fingers....nothing prescribed worked (don't take Gabapentin). He finally relented and just started working through it...doing what pain allows and it finally resolved.

If I remember correctly, you strength train so I would back down the intensity a bit there with everything. When you exert yourself you naturally tighten and extend your neck. I would lighten the load and see if it helps. You're probably not taking enough NSAIDS to give you that relief you need to work through it. 600MG Motrin every 4 hours for a couple days is really the minimum to load enough to get an anti-inflammation response. You can take Tylenol with it or alternate every two hours when the pain is severe. That should help get things moving.

Reactions: sussle

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
  • Dislike
Reactions: SurfDoc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
hmm...inject myself, presumable in the neck, with a substance for which there are no human-based clinical studies, that i bought online from somebody i don't know, based on the rec of somebody else i don't know....what could go wrong? no seriously, i appreciate the input but it sounds awful sketchy. but i'll run it by my PT person next week and see how they feel about it.
You can go to doctor's to do it.

I had L5 herniation and permenant foot drop. Had I know about this at the time I would have tried. I do have a crazy streak for trying things out in moderation.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I meant how long as in 5 minutes a day? 10? 15?
I started out at 5 minutes, increasing over time to about 20.

Nowadays I don’t time it. I just do it for a bit and move on. Typically I’ll do my neck exercises, sauna, traction, cold shower.

Havoc

May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Yup. Steroid to the neck. Worked like a charm. I’ve been told it doesn’t work for everyone.

It’s temporary. I’ve had 3 rounds on the left side and 2 on the right, C 4/5 5/6 and 6/7, over a 10 year span.

When you drive sit with perfect posture and adjust your rear view mirror. As you drive if your mirror get “out of adjustment” redo your posture.

As for surfing, quit. If you MUST surf then you will want strengthen your back so when you paddle you use your back to arch up and see where you’re going.

You will get better but you have to keep treating it. The steroid injections will give you the opportunity to actively heal.

This is your life now.

View attachment 156305
View attachment 156306

Any questions don’t hesitate. I’ll even talk to you on the phone or in person if need be.
do u tie it to the door handle?
i used a similar thing that a doctor gave me. pretty much exactly as in the pic.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Ben Greenfield is loon.

And he’ll push any product as long as he’s getting paid.

He was basically banished from the triathlon community years ago for pushing all kinds of nonsense.

Some of the stuff he promotes does actually work though. :shrug:
I agree.

He's on team Jesus too.

BPC 157 seems like the real deal.

I totally get going to the dr to get.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
do u tie it to the door handle?
i used a similar thing that a doctor gave me. pretty much exactly as in the pic.
Usually I do it outside and tie it to the deck railing.

If inside i make a knot in the rubber band on close it on the other side of the door. Had a door handle come off and graze my head at 90mph so…

• Wow
Reactions: Havoc

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
PT person recommended this:

This is your life now.

I rigged up this, using a Total Gym 1000 and the padded strap from a cheap old laptop bag. The handles from the Total Gym are useful for controlling the stretch.
IMG_20230619_213929.jpg

Reactions: Duffy LaCoronilla