Greg Griffin RIP

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Anybody else have a board with concave and hard edges? Ride impressions?
i used to get all my boards like that. they worked great. super deep concave has drawbacks though. tried a nice quad shape in flat bottom recently and it was slow.

Reactions: One-Off

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
All of my boards have “speed edge” (except last two) single concave and flat. Boards seem quick to plane and responsive. Personal I think these details are small incremental difference, not massive leaps. That said they add extra work, questionable as to whether or not worth the effort. Esthetically very pleasing, but keep your rail volume down
imho

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I have a moonlight glassed von sol shadow that fits those characteristics. Board is magic. Coincidentally, I have a second one from the same run without hard edges. Also magic.

The only diff between the two I can find are the edges.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I think Griffin and I think the same thing about concaves: they "suck". He was against using them, I like them for control. If you imagine water passing your board at a diagonal, like I do, then water is passing the bottom over your front foot over a curve. That's a longer distance, so more "suction".

MC used hard edges, which definitely helps release water off the board. What's interesting is the video "Tales from The Chook Shed," in which he puts a straight edge at a diagonal and the bottom is flat after factoring in the rocker.

My MC didn't feel too skatey at all.

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
Had a MC Mermaid with hard edges nose to tail with a single concave running through. I had some great carves but I also had amazing surprises that made me think I had just learn to surf. My present MC EEV has hard edges but not all the way to the nose. It does not have the trade offs but has the good points

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Had a MC Mermaid with hard edges nose to tail with a single concave running through. I had some great carves but I also had amazing surprises that made me think I had just learn to surf. My present MC EEV has hard edges but not all the way to the nose. It does not have the trade offs but has the good points
How far up do the edges go?

Dec 18, 2014
I had an old T&C Griffin five fin. It did not come with original fins, but I used a set from an identically sized tail from another GG board. The bottom had a slight concave. I think the bottom was a single all the way. Might have split out the tail. I can't really remember. Otherwise, it was standard GG; hard tucked rails nose to tail, beautifully clean template. I much preferred GG's flat bottoms.

Attachments

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
At :10 of this video showing the futures cnc fin making machine the display lists a bunch of fin profiles and there are listing for 2 diffierent sized Griffin fins...could futures have some of Gregs templates? or is this maybe mike griffin. Caught my eye.

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
At :10 of this video showing the futures cnc fin making machine the display lists a bunch of fin profiles and there are listing for 2 diffierent sized Griffin fins...could futures have some of Gregs templates? or is this maybe mike griffin. Caught my eye.

Griffin Colapinto test files for potential signature fin contract is another possibility

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
This has gotta be it.

Btw .. I get absolutely nothing from the marketing of a fin being a pro's "signature" fin. Makes no sense to me.
Also nothing works better than AM2s in HPSBs so the pros, with a signature fin, don’t seem to even use their own fin most of the time.

Reactions: SurfMission

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
This has gotta be it.

Btw .. I get absolutely nothing from the marketing of a fin being a pro's "signature" fin. Makes no sense to me.
Like Greg did and other shapers, fins can be tuned to the rider's preference while the shaper may have other preferences for his own fins or how he feels the board should ride based on those. If they just took random fins and slapped a pro name on them without those being the fins he rode that wouldn't be too cool.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
This has gotta be it.

It's for the surfer. If his template sells, he gets a royalty. The marketing of it is silly, but it's just another money maker. Also, fin companies aren't making exorbitant amounts of moolah, so this helps them contract with guys to give them something of a 'bonus' if their fins sell.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I guess that the more I think about it, not everyone buys fins based on their hydrodynamic analysis of their surfboard, the feel, or their shaper's reco.... Lots of folks probably buy "Fanning's" or "JJFs". I'm a terrible marketer because sometimes I can't even see it from this perspective.

My 2c: I'd be WAY more prone to buy shaper lineups of fins than a surfer-specific one.