Eric Geiselman, where's your head at?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
agreed - but if you can avoid someone w/o much effort than you try an avoid them.
Geisleman entered the turn with the understanding of the social contract we all make as surfers that we will make a most basic effort to duckdive and avoid collision. To everyone here's amazement this guy made no effort to go under and went directly up into Geisleman's line at the top of the wave. Geisleman saw him at the last second and did a good job of not hurting the offending surfer or his own equipment. Had Geisleman ripped a fin box out in that situation he should demand the kook pay for the repair.

Reactions: slipped_disc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don't view it that way. The guy who got run over is 100% at fault.
When someone pulls out in front of you in traffic do you hit the brakes or floor it?

Same thing in surfing. The guy who is up and riding has the right of way. That doesn't mean the guy up and riding runs over people no problem, or plays chicken with their head. You do your best to avoid a collision, just like you do on the road.

Nobody got run over, instead they just became a stunt prop so someone could get a clip and post to the 'gram.

If Mr. G left the guy's head busted and bloodied after he botched the ollie...would he still be posting to the 'gram?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
agreed - but if you can avoid someone w/o much effort than you try an avoid them. Evan didnt have any where else to go but up an over him. would be good to see a longer clip to see if Evan spotted him earlier or if he was unaware the kook was there at all.
He had to have seen him, he had to set up the turn and the launchpoint.

I avoid people all the time when I'm up and riding. It's part of surfing in crowds. Especially in beach breaks.

Just because kooks don't know better doesn't give me the carte blanche to do whatever the fck I want when I'm up and riding.

If it did I would be maiming a person or two every session.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Right.

Because one happened to make contact there's no similarity between the two incidents. :roflmao:
Both rights at what appear to be not beginner waves - one is Lowers. There's callous disregard by people other than Sterling Centaur and Eric Geezelgrease. Just completely flagrant, f--k you.

When someone pulls out in front of you in traffic do you hit the brakes or floor it?
Comparing the comparatively rare provocative pull-out or comparatively rare honest mistake in traffic to the constant fuckery in lineups in 2023 is not apples to apples. The person in this clip decided to paddle that kook boat out into a crowd, and decided to paddle it right up the face of a wave.

The funny thing to me is, this stupid sh!t happens way less with complete noobs at B/C grade. They give it their honest best and they usually apologize, and I tell them they tried their best and they went to B/C grade to do it, so it's all good.

Meanwhile the named waves, pandemic of sections being paddled down, or people who drop in, rightful surfer makes the section caused by the drop in, and the burn artist starts furiously pumping in a continued attempt to shut the door vs just kicking out. Kooks who suck paddling float boats they can't duck dive into crowded hectic prime spots in a given zone, and cruise right up the face instead of taking a rinsing - probably to sit 10 yards out the back of everyone and use volume to hog waves......

Reactions: GromsDad and jkb

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
was just thinking that. as usual, his view is diametrically opposed to that which any reasonable court of law might take. it's as if there's a pattern here :shrug:
Casa's car analogy perfectly illustrated the idiocy of his point, an immutable constant of ERBB

Last edited:

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Comparing the comparatively rare provocative pull-out or comparatively rare honest mistake in traffic to the constant fuckery in lineups in 2023 is not apples to apples. The person in this clip decided to paddle that kook boat out into a crowd, and decided to paddle it right up the face of a wave.
Even if its a complete douchebag in a BMW using the median to cut through traffic or cork a long line of waiting cars at a red light (that sh!t makes my blood boil), Casa's point stands. Confront the asshole if you have a chance, but it doesn't give you a pass to vastly increase the danger of serious harm or injury intentionally.

With that said, it is hard to tell how intentional EG's actions were in the video. Kinda looks like he thought the guy would be long gone and was surprised to find him flailing in the lip at the last second.

Reactions: mundus

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
E.G. apologized to me once for getting in my way on a decent wave. That was more humility than I've seen from pretty much every pro I've had to surf around, and more humility than I see from all the dorks I'm regularly having to place my turns around. While I don't loathe the dude like the majority of pros I've surfed with and around, I'm regularly adjusting my lines and placing my turns in different spots to avoid running people over so I dunno why he wouldn't feel compelled to do the same.

Reactions: bluengreen

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think the car analogy would work better if one could ollie a car.

Seriously though like @sizzld1 is saying it's hard to know if this was fully intentional or sort of a last second decision. Also, we have no idea how many times in the session the kook was blowing it for people like this.

I'm admittedly pretty biased against any novice surfer who paddles a soft top (maybe?) directly in the surfers line on such a good wave but I'm inclined to rule, "no blood, no foul".

Maybe the correct move would be to kick out and then sucker punch the person in the back of the head. :shrug:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Even if its a complete douchebag in a BMW using the median to cut through traffic or cork a long line of waiting cars at a red light (that sh!t makes my blood boil), Casa's point stands. Confront the asshole if you have a chance, but it doesn't give you a pass to vastly increase the danger of serious harm or injury intentionally.
I can't do anything about those specific situations and confronting people in Florida is a great way to get shot.

If someone thinks I can slam on my brakes so they don't have to wait ten seconds, and there is nobody in the grass/shoulder/median/parallel spots/turning lane, I'm calling the death bluff. I'm rolling the dice. We're seeing a flop.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
He had to have seen him, he had to set up the turn and the launchpoint.

I avoid people all the time when I'm up and riding. It's part of surfing in crowds. Especially in beach breaks.

Just because kooks don't know better doesn't give me the carte blanche to do whatever the fck I want when I'm up and riding.

If it did I would be maiming a person or two every session.
again agreed - but when did he see him? coming down the line in the previous section or came around that section blind - instinct is to come off the bottom towards the lip and bash it and if he was just seeing him for the first time coming round that section - he really did the only evasive maneuver possible.

I bet he saw him earlier for sure but w/o a longer clip - we dont know.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Nobody got run over, instead they just became a stunt prop so someone could get a clip and post to the 'gram.
Disagree again. You sure you watched the same video I did? Geisleman's only mistake was thinking the paddler would take the obvious correct route and push under the wave at the bottom or at the very least by mid face. He committed to the bottom turn top turn combination thinking the guy would never be where he turned up at the last second. Then he was forced to take evasive maneuvers.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think the car analogy would work better if one could ollie a car.
No need to ollie anything - just speed up, play a lil' chicken, get as close as you can get, "that'll teach 'em."

Also, we have no idea how many times in the session the kook was blowing it for people like this.
I'd feel horrible plowing someone no matter how many times they've blown it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
again agreed - but when did he see him? coming down the line in the previous section or came around that section blind - instinct is to come off the bottom towards the lip and bash it and if he was just seeing him for the first time coming round that section - he really did the only evasive maneuver possible.

I bet he saw him earlier for sure but w/o a longer clip - we dont know.
Sterling Spencer said he didn't see the guy either.

We'll never know.

Personally, I have enough peripheral awareness that I would have been alerted to a turd on a log floating through the lineup and in similar situations setting up for the same kind of turn you're going to catch something big in that peripheral view. In this case the weighting and unweighting process of turn vs the ollie indicates to me, the ollie over the guy was the intent and it was probably a split second "hold my beer" decision for Mr. G to pop it rather than stall.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Is this honestly the first time you all have seen someone hop over someone? Or just the first time since instagram existed?

I'm pretty live and let live, don't unnecessarily endanger anyone guy, but this doesn't bother me at all.

Reactions: slipped_disc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sterling Spencer said he didn't see the guy either.

We'll never know.
Yeah, Sterling Spencer didn't see the dude who made a turn section into an air section.

Heads up, I've got the inside line on some new properties. Those Bo Forester broads? You'll need them morning, noon, and night for these reefbreaks and roping point walls. Property is about half an hour from Council Bluffs, Iowa. Firing Indian Ocean surf!

Get your money in escrow now, while parcels are still available!