Mark Price steps down from Firewire....

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Defroster will see himself out now.
Nah. Surfboars have such a rich and colorful history that start way before Tomo and FW. If the older surfers that lived it don’t drop a little knowledge from time to time and just mock groms and newbies for their lack of knowledge that history will just turn into some myth to sell the new new.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Dang! I dont know how I missed this post. I actually just heard about this.

Mark Price did a great job at Firewire. Being 62 and retiring in South Africa near J-Bay sounds pretty epic! Stoked for da guy.

He got a A LOT OF sh!t as CEO... especially from Casa. He's a good dude IMO to stick it our through all of that.
Can you explain how a "good dude" can go on Scott Bass's show and act like Firewires don't yellow?

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Duu. I’m not a fan of FireWire but even I know Mark Price isn’t the one who built FW. It was Bert Berger, now of Sunova Surfboards that came up with the sandwich construction FW promotes. Nev Hyman another Oz shaper and his business partners Dougall Walker and Matthew Perrin went into business with Bert to get his construction tech. The partnership went sour and Bert was out. Bert has his own company with boars with construction that looks pretty familiar, cause he’s the originator.

I know all about that too brother. But when Firewire was on the verge of Bankruptcy and Kelly stepped in with his investors it was Mark Price that had control of the wheel and made Firewire what it is. All I'm saying is that while Firewire was functioning under his control as CEO the company did well for itself - very well. Plus he is an intellectual and has good perspective on things. Good duu in my opinion. I know nothing about Dylan Slater but hopefully the company doesn't change direction too much!

Last edited:
Reactions: teeroi

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Can you explain how a "good dude" can go on Scott Bass's show and make the claim "Firewires don't yellow"?
You can't hold him to a standard of perfection. I've put my foot in my mouth a time or two. I've heard Javier from XTR say that same thing a time or two as well... and... it wasn't true.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I know all about that too brother. But when Firewire was on the verb of Bankruptcy and Kelly stepped in with his investors it was Mark Price that had control of the wheel and made Firewire what it is. All I'm saying is that while Firewire was functioning under his control as CEO the company did well for itself - very well. Plus he is an intellectual and has good perspective on things. Good duu in my opinion. I know nothing about Dylan Slater but hopefully the company doesn't change direction too much!
Dylan Slater ran Rip Curl’s US division through the pandemic not sure if he was the president thru it going public. Rip Curl is a much bigger company than FW.

I worked on the HIC store at Pearl Ridge. The prez of HIC used to be the prez at Local Motion then the head of Rio Curl USA. I asked Leigh about Rip Curl cause they still seem core. He told me that Dylan was leaving for FW and they asked him for a recommendation to replace him. He said Dylan was a good hire for FW. It was inside knowledge that Mark Price was leaving and insiders were trying to guess who’d they get.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Dylan Slater ran Rip Curl’s US division through the pandemic not sure if he was the president thru it going public. Rip Curl is a much bigger company than FW.

I worked on the HIC store at Pearl Ridge. The prez of HIC used to be the prez at Local Motion then the head of Rio Curl USA. I asked Leigh about Rip Curl cause they still seem core. He told me that Dylan was leaving for FW and they asked him for a recommendation to replace him. He said Dylan was a good hire for FW. It was inside knowledge that Mark Price was leaving and insiders were trying to guess who’d they get.
Well that's good to know. I'm interested in hearing more about him. :shaka:

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Well that's good to know. I'm interested in hearing more about him. :shaka:
Dylan is the kind of person that would take a surf job that is counter to traditional surf culture to attain social status outside of surfing.

Dylan is the kind of person that would take a job that scabs business away from hardworking friends. While they're covered in dust, he's thinking 'we're all good' as he toils over his sales reports and container arrivals.

Dylan is the kind of person that the product he sells isn't good enough for him.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Dylan is the kind of person that would take a surf job that is counter to traditional surf culture to attain social status outside of surfing.

Dylan is the kind of person that would take a job that scabs business away from hardworking friends. While they're covered in dust, he's thinking 'we're all good' as he toils over his sales reports and container arrivals.

Dylan is the kind of person that the product he sells isn't good enough for him.
Is this first hand knowledge or just opinion?

You sound a little bitter. So, just curious if you know him or if you are just trying to put him down because he chose to work at Firewire.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Is this first hand knowledge or just opinion?

You sound a little bitter. So, just curious if you know him or if you are just trying to put him down because he chose to work at Firewire.
Don't need firsthand knowledge, he took the same job Mark Price quit or got fired.

Like Mark Price he could have turned down the opportunity out of respect to real surf culture but the size of his house and the kind of car he drives was more important.

As the person that should believe in the product more than anyone, will Dylan CEO commit to riding only the generic Thai built boards like his consumers? No R&D boards, no customs, no Pure Glass? Just what's on the website. I doubt it, but kuddos if he does.

Bitter is the word that kooks use about shapers and industry folk in an attempt to dissolve informed opinions all the while trying to internally justify their purchases. All we try to do here is try to help people out the kook phase. Some make it out, others would rather fight to stay there.

So as you attempt to call me bitter, I have money in the bank and I'm still in bed checking the surf whilst you'll need a collared shirt to put on. You're more likely to be bitter than me. I'll catch one for you though after all the surf before work sheep get out.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Duu. I’m not a fan of FireWire but even I know Mark Price isn’t the one who built FW. It was Bert Berger, now of Sunova Surfboards that came up with the sandwich construction FW promotes. Nev Hyman another Oz shaper and his business partners Dougall Walker and Matthew Perrin went into business with Bert to get his construction tech. The partnership went sour and Bert was out. Bert has his own company with boars with construction that looks pretty familiar, cause he’s the originator.

Bert definitely was the one who created the construction tech (although I think wind surfers were onto vac bagging even earlier). He was the McDonald Brothers. Mark Price was Ray Kroc.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Sounds like you're putting down people that have 9-5pm jobs and make a contribution to society. What about the kid at the surf shop, or the guy at McDonalds, or the grocery store, or the office guy, or the construction guy. Those are all "work sheep"? We all show up, clock in and clock out. You think you're some cool guy cause you work from home or own your own business. You can go screw off! You probably need that extra wave more than I do because your surfing sucks.

I think your tone of putting me down for having a job where I wear a "collard shirt", and your tone of putting me down for liking a brand that you dont, and your tone of putting down a guy you never met because he took a job at a company you dont like, is pussy. You sound like a winy little punk ass.

Who are you to determine what "real surf culture" is anyways? Are you trying to hang-on to some nostalgic lifestyle or "culture" you once had? Go ahead and live in your delusion and put anyone down who doesn't fit into it. Seems like a common thing nowadays from people that are mentally unstable. The reality is that a real surfer that loves surfing waves will ride whatever makes them happy because thats what its all about... and if a board that's made overseas is fun and rides good, why the fook not buy it and ride it and enjoy the fook out of it?
I think you may be taking this place a bit too seriously there guy....maybe step away from the keyboard for a while?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Bitter is the word that kooks use about shapers and industry folk in an attempt to dissolve informed opinions all the while trying to internally justify their purchases. All we try to do here is try to help people out the kook phase. Some make it out, others would rather fight to stay there.
Advertising the bitterness seems to only make it more contagious, which if I'm not mistaken is the real point. There are probably better methods to get ahead in business though.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
i remember mark price coming on here and arguing with erbb'ers that shipping a boar from asia in a boat is better for the environment than making a boar locally. little did the moran know that they need to put the fireturds into a truck and drive them all over the place. you cant make this stuff up. adult learners love firewire as do the members of reddit surf