Pyzel White Tiger

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
ahahah so you ask the shaper, he answers "go with more volume" and now you are sure you're good with less volume...
I said it would be fine. Doesn't mean more won't be better.

I went and fondled a bunch of Pyzels today.

They are completely different then what I normally ride.

I told the guy in the shop @ 145 I normally ride around 23.9L, he replied they were "child sized dims" and he rides 27L @ 155lbs. I was baffled!

So I brought in my daily driver from my truck for him to caress, my favorite board of all time, the Xanadu SW21 (a Japan favorite). Without prompting, he said "it actually feels normal."

We looked at several different models. The board that actually felt the best under arm and looked very appealing was the 5'3"x18 5/8"x2 3/8"=25.40 L Mini Ghost.

The Pyzalien 2 at 24.1 felt doable, beefier than my normal, but I am going to do what Pyzel says.

I'm guessing this will involve adding a touch of width to make around 25L? If i remember this is always the best route (?) I haven't ordered a board without dims from the shaper in many years.

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I told the guy in the shop @ 145 I normally ride around 23.9L, he replied they were "child sized dims" and he rides 27L @ 155lbs. I was baffled!
Those would be my thoughts, I doubt I'd know anyone not under 16 riding boards that tiny.

No pros I know ride boards that small, let alone Average Joes.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
yeah you’re even more hobbit sized than señor reforest

fwiw I’ve owned 2 xanadus, a mithras and a nitz, and it always felt like he underreports volume for the dims on his boars

Reactions: ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
iirc my og lost speed demons, even at 6’2, were under 25L. I think @jkb likes og dim boars as well.

sometimes I miss the low volume feeling of paddling into waves but I don’t when paddling back out to the reefs or jockeying for position on a Saturday morning.

Reactions: j_mac and ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Meanwhile on the east coast of England.....

I'm a euro kook and you hurt my feelings :roflmao:
Looks like Cornwall.

I'm pretty sure I know exactly where. Been wanting to surf that wave for many years.

I wonder how a yank would be welcomed?

Can't imagine it isn't a total zoo by now so maybe I'd blend in.

Your local pros sold the place out so that even a guy 8000 miles away knows where it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReForest

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
yeah you’re even more hobbit sized than señor reforest

fwiw I’ve owned 2 xanadus, a mithras and a nitz, and it always felt like he underreports volume for the dims on his boars
hahha I thought casa was a mean big narco lookin dude

well I'm 42 and 175. all those volume calculadoras put me in what seems to me oversized boards though. 35 vol.
I'm usually in like 30-31... :unsure:. casa's got me second guessing my boards....
although I do remember tryin some board at 33 ltrs and was fun

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I had a grinderX stamps 5'19x19.50x2.4 (vol.28.9) sold it to a guy your size and he's loving it. and I am jealous cuz had I gone thicker, I'd still have that board.
That is huge for someone his size. The thing probably floats him at his hips.

Over-volumed HPSBs make it difficult to be in the deepest takeoff spot, especially critical drops. Too buoyant.

Up and riding they sit way too on top of the water and can't engage the rail. No good.

You can get away with a board being a little undervolumed on a HPSB, they are a bitch to paddle but better than being on way too much foam.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Looks like Cornwall.

I'm pretty sure I know exactly where. Been wanting to surf that wave for many years.

I wonder how a yank would be welcomed?

Can't imagine it isn't a total zoo by now so maybe I'd blend in.

Your local pros sold the place out so that even a guy 8000 miles away knows where it is.

That's the spot in Cornwall I think you're referring to. The one I posted earlier actually is on the east coast of England. Locals are usually pretty chill in the Uk, but crowds have exploded during covid.

• Love
Reactions: need 4 speed

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Backt to topic, I can echo @ICARUSINJAX feelings regarding the white tiger. Have yet to ride it as a thruster but the thing flies as a quad. I must say that I did not care for the gremlin that much, felt like it was good in the pocket but lacked drive in flat spots. White Tiger on the other hand muy bueno. Feels smoother than the lost pj which is sort of my benchmark groveler.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
hahha I thought casa was a mean big narco lookin dude

well I'm 42 and 175. all those volume calculadoras put me in what seems to me oversized boards though. 35 vol.
I'm usually in like 30-31... :unsure:. casa's got me second guessing my boards....
although I do remember tryin some board at 33 ltrs and was fun
A liter or two at 145 is going to have a bigger effect than a liter or two at 175 (I would guess)

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
A liter or two at 145 is going to have a bigger effect than a liter or two at 175 (I would guess)
1 liter of displaced seawater will produce 2.6lbs of positive buoyancy.

thing is, we don’t always submerge the whole board. the part of the board out of water would be towards reserve buoyancy.

reserve buoyancy is felt, it dictates how quickly you return to the surface when duck diving, for example. On bigger days in the ”soup” that reserve buoyancy has a stabilizing effect by forcing you to the surface and keeping you there. A less volume boar by comparison may be more affected by downward forces. Downward forces may come from the wave or surfers weight, for example, so one can imagine how it may or may not affect rail turns depending on the volume of submerged rail and other forces at play.

in a vibration equation I guess increased reserve buoyancy would be like having a stiffer spring pulling you to the surface. Lower buoyancy would be a weaker spring. I guess the surfer weight would be the damper effect on said spring while surfing .