WSL Tour Having Garbage Year

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Who is the WSL's demographic? Are the adult learners all about it? How does itr make money? Is it still just the same advertising boondoggle Rabbit et al conceived in the 70s?

Watching webcasts of anything other than really good waves is like watching paint dry, particularly the try-hard women. And I find Turpiel and whatever washed up surf girl they have commentating insufferably cringe.

I don't really even like to associate with surfing anymore.
I think the demographic is adult learners in the tech industry who moved to Silicon Beach - a shrinking/dying demographic. The heyday of pro surfing was probably the 80s when everyone was still moving to California and the midwest bought surf clothing. Slater caused something of a revival in the Aughts with his championships and big name, but now it's defunct.

Recall that ELo was Oprah's producer. Oprah is the lowest common denominator of mass appeal. He has no experience with niche markets like this.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Who is the WSL's demographic?
Mostly 50 and 60 somethings. The generation that grew up waiting for the new surf magazine to show up in the mail box and who marveled at the early surf contest live webcasts 15 years ago. My boys are both solid young surfers aged 18 and 23 and neither one of them will watch the webcasts if I have them on. They will watch the latest Mason Ho and John John edits when they come out.

Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The cut is dumb.
If the cut was there to lower numbers, then use it to cut the numbers and let it be gone.
The Final 5 is dumb.

The tour champ era didn't have many years that got it wrong.
Adriano?
Dooma?
PT?

That's about it.

Reactions: Joshua2415

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I get a chuckle out of guys that post they don’t care about pro surfing on a thread about pro surfing. Or post they never spend over $20 for a pair of board shorts they can get at Ross’s or costco on threads about what’s the best boardshorts.

Kinda like vegans that have to tell you they’re vegan at a potluck. I used to assume if I have dietary restrictions that I would just bring something I can eat plus a little bit more to a potluck. Haha.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
I love watching when the waves are firing. I don't watch when they are crap. Pretty simple.

The pool comp is just a quick cash grab. Hold an event in two days guaranteed at a pool they own? On what's basically a long layover? No brainer for them.

Trestles deciding it and that final 5 format is beyond stupid. Haven't watched a heat of the finals yet, won't this year either.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
remember the 'search contest'
i like that the pool is the inverse of that

we've really defined what surfing is through these two event types

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Bring back n'side Oceanside pier.

The biggest problem I see is one never knows if the dang thing is even on or not. What other sports get such a long window to decide to have the event? They set a date, keep it!!!

me - "Hey, what time is the World Cup on?"
you - "I duuno, the sun came out again and the wind calmed down. they said check back at full moon for an update after the groundhog makes an appearance"
me - "fuggit, I'm gonna go mow the lawn, I will maybe remember to watch the highlights on Sports Center tonight"

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I get a chuckle out of guys that post they don’t care about pro surfing on a thread about pro surfing. Or post they never spend over $20 for a pair of board shorts they can get at Ross’s or costco on threads about what’s the best boardshorts.

Kinda like vegans that have to tell you they’re vegan at a potluck. I used to assume if I have dietary restrictions that I would just bring something I can eat plus a little bit more to a potluck. Haha.

are u vejan?

• Haha
Reactions: teeroi

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

I sport under armor underneath $75 Fanning mirages. Longshore current here will cheesegrate your nutsack walking back up the beach.

Also I'll eat all the food and most of the vegans at any given potluck. So if you have lots of vegans telling everyone they're vegan at your potlucks, you've finally found a use for middle-American tourists.

But there is seriously a shortage of lefts, the Lowers final thing sucks, and they've had ass luck for surf this year.

Reactions: Aruka

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'd happily pay to watch more events in the vein of the shootout, the Eddie, natural selection, and cape fear. Idk what the wsl has to do to capture the same magic, but five days of man on man heats for eight hours isn't a very entertaining format imo.
The long days are really for local vendors and brands - kind of like a trade show. If the WSL isn't providing that, it's relying on internet eyeballs for revenue and having to pay for a lot of editing.