***Official Real Estate Thread***

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It pretty much nullifies everything else you wrote in the previous post, so yes, consider me satisfied.
lol

It doesn't nullify it at all.

It puts the population 65+ on par with other major cities such as NYC and LA - roughly +/-15%

Cities like Sarasota have large 65+ populations - numbers like 35%+

But nice try big boi.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
LOL :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Here: It's a 3 percentage point difference between the two.

Does that suit your fancy better?

Miami population over 65 = 17.5%
Los Angeles population over 65 = 14.6%

17.5% - 14.6% = 2.9% .... which I rounded to 3%.
The relative increase of going from 14.6 to 17.5% is slightly over 20% because you comparing the difference relative to your starting point.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
This difference IS more impressive than you claimed dummy. Besides, you said there aren't many old people in Miami. Meanwhile the numbers show its has more old people - by percentage of population - than any other major metropolitan city in the US. Give it up already. :roflmao:

You just cannot acknowledge when you're wrong. Period. Or even acknowledge when someone has a more complete view of an issue than you do. Instead you make yourself look like a petulant child over and over again. It's hilarious to watch. The last page of this thread is an excellent example.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This difference IS more impressive than you claimed dummy. Besides, you said there aren't many old people in Miami. Meanwhile the numbers show its has more old people - by percentage of population - than any other major metropolitan city in the US. Give it up already. :roflmao:

You just cannot acknowledge when you're wrong. Period. Or even acknowledge when someone has a more complete view of an issue than you do. Instead you make yourself look like a petulant child over and over again. It's hilarious to watch. The last page of this thread is an excellent example.
Sure. lol. You can spin the numbers for a gotcha moment.(y)(y)

Just like the difference between 1% and 2% milk (66% more fat !!!!o_O)

When it comes to cities with a disproportionate number of people 65+ you look at a place like Sarasota - 36% of the population is 65+.

That is the kind of place with "a lot of old people".

Not New York, Miami, etc, with numbers in the range of the national average.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sizzld1

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
I'm trying a new thing in life. You imagine yourself in the other person's body and perspective. Its very hard to do.

But we all came from the same dust and water. So while we have our own brains and conditioned ways of thinking, we ultimately are just another shade of the rainbow but forget we are still part of the rainbow.

Casa makes a point that there are other places with much higher old folks. This is accurate.

Others make the point that an increase in percentage from 14 to 17 is not nothing sneeze at. This is accurate.

Why is it an all or nothing these days? Learn to see life through another person's eyes and you can have healthy conversations and outlooks on life. If if someone is completely wrong about something, until you can shift your perspective from inside your head to inside their head, you will always judge and not be able to see where they might be coming from.

I am not adept at this skill but I'm working on it. I think it might be one of the most important things to learn as a human and will likely pay off in dividends when in comes time to reincarnate or move on to the next dimension. I think its also key to aging gracefully instead of turning into a stubborn, opnionated old person.

Ok back to real estate blah blah blah. I'm happy I built my own house in the Caribbean and live debt free. If you want to come down and catch a vibe, dm me brah. One day when the youth is off to higher education or whatever he chooses to do, I'll either go cruising on a trimaran or travel backpack style with my wahine.

love you guys, hugs to all lol

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Hmmm, maybe I should have considered looking at these interesting maps before moving to San Francisco so I could have avoid all the drug related offenses. Certainly would have helped my property value in the long run.
Incidentally just saw this today

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The collapse of the the prospective housing market in that region is more to blame than "safety". Businesses don't close stores that make money over "safety concerns". They close stores that also happen to be losing money. Several projects are in the process of being scuttled, shut down, sold off, and all but foreclosed on all around that area. The ones that were completed were never filled. The private industry hyper speed utopia built on pretend product data sales companies that provide a constant flow of new money Peter Pans is crumbling.

Paying a premium to live in an overpriced shoebox of a "luxury" highrise tends to be predicated on either

A) proximity to work
B) Proximity to lifestyle perks
C) Combination of A & B

That neighborhood is light on both currently.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Is this true? I don't know enough about Mortgage and Real Estate industry.
Makes sense. Banks are losing to inflation because they are only making 2.5-4% interest on most of their notes. Every year they are getting paid back with money worth less and less. Although it often isn't their money to begin with and the notes get sold multiple times, so maybe they make more of their money on origination fees, rate buydowns stc

What effect might this have in coming years on housing market?
Inventory will likely stay in the crapper for years to come because nobody wants to give up their super low rate for a higher one and the higher property taxes that come with a more expensive house.

Where things could get interesting is when we reach peak boomer passing and their assets get shuffled to their heirs.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Where things could get interesting is when we reach peak boomer passing and their assets get shuffled to their heirs.
This is what I'm hoping helps reverse some of the trends in Hawaii. Maybe not so much regarding property value, but there are a lot of older homeowners here whose children have moved to the mainland and started families. It would be awesome to see some of those families get to come back to Hawaii and raise their kids here in the family home.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
This is what I'm hoping helps reverse some of the trends in Hawaii. Maybe not so much regarding property value, but there are a lot of older homeowners here whose children have moved to the mainland and started families. It would be awesome to see some of those families get to come back to Hawaii and raise their kids here in the family home.

Tupola talks a lot about this, kids who move to the mainland, getting them back, and multi-generational housing.